Sign in to follow this  
piznit

Playmat question

I love my GripMat! http://www.gripmat.com/

It's a thin, spongy material, but the printed side has a bit of stickiness to it, not with adhesive like flypaper but rather more like the grippiness on the bottom side of the FFG neoprene mats. The grip can take some getting used to, maneuver templates don't slide around if you use too much pressure. I've had the mat for close to a year and it shows no wear, and numerous layers of "nerd grease" (from elbows, arms, etc) have made the surface just perfect.

I started with a GaleForce9 mat and gave it to a friend and his son who were just getting into the game, only because I didn't see the need for another mat. More slippery than my Gripmat, and tended to scuff over time from templates and bases. Still beautiful though.

I've played on the magnetic mats; they look great but if you're an opponent who doesn't have magnets it's like playing on an air hockey table and can get frustrating.

I like the look of the FFG mats (Bespin looks SO good) but still can't wrap my head around why they made them so slick. 

As for graphics, go with what appeals to you but I'm fond of simple starfields and planets. As mentioned earlier, the asteroid mat can be distracting, and there is a "Death Star Surface" mat that about gives me an aneurysm every time I see it.

These are easily the best, no more incidental movement. The magnets keep then very firmly in place. I use two of the magnets per small and 3-4 per large and they hold incredibly well. I can pick the mat up and small ship still don't slide off. You should be able to contact the creator through Kickstarter for more info. I think he has a website now but I don't know the address.https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gamersdoor/magnetic-war-mats-fix-the-slip

Just warmats.com. How are you arranging the magnets to get 2 on the small base? I find that if I go with anything other than one in the center ships want to repel each other if they get too close cause the magnets are pretty strong.

I use 1 on small and 2 on large and love them. Best mats ever.

Yea, this is exactly what I do. Plus I have no issues with the mat sliding around either. The artwork is good and more importantly these mats actually make the game more fun for me at least due to the increased precision.

i have a double mat, one half shows a puke green planet (probably irradiated) and it has a ring of asteroids that extend to the 2nd mat.

So many people complain they cant see the obstacles on that mat when they ARENT playing, but when they play i never hear a single complaint. And ive never had a problem either. I have an issue with the mats over a **** near white planet and acrylic obstacles. I watched a game for a good 15 min before seeing that WHITE ACRYLIC ROCK sitting on the heavily clouded planet.

I'd have to wait to get home to get a pic of it since i cant find it online. I think it got discontinued for that very complaint lol.

Edited by Vineheart01

Bad mat:

25921711480_a2a8d29b79_z.jpg

Good mat:

20814602502_26d8fae0e9_z.jpg

Better mat:

25592314123_aff6510e1c_z.jpg

(OK, so I still like playing on the HC&D Supplies mat even after picking up the Bespin mat. They're both good).

I've got the HC&D starfield mat you have in the second pic and one more of theirs as well. I have to agree with you also, both those mats still get into the rotation with my FFG ones too.

So what is so good about the FFG ones?

They are thinner than others (my HC&D one is a couple millimeters thicker). But best of all is that they have officially licensed Star Wars pictures on them! I had always wanted a Bespin mat ever since I started flying the Obsidian Squadron swarm in Wave II, so when FFG released it, I knew I had to get it. Haven't played Obsidian on the mat yet, though, so I need to do that.

So what is so good about the FFG ones?

They are thinner than others (my HC&D one is a couple millimeters thicker). But best of all is that they have officially licensed Star Wars pictures on them! I had always wanted a Bespin mat ever since I started flying the Obsidian Squadron swarm in Wave II, so when FFG released it, I knew I had to get it. Haven't played Obsidian on the mat yet, though, so I need to do that.

Is thinner better? I am a fan of the Mousepad material.

But like what is good about them that makes them worth £40 instead of £30 for a deep cut mouse pad, which is the best thing ever (so far)

Are they still like Vinyls that slide around and have a slippery surface the ships slide on?

How resistant to scratching are they over the GF9 ones?

I'm seriously considering the Cloud City one so I can use it when I do the x-wing mission as part of the Imperial Assault Bespin Gambit mini campaign. 

Edited by Talonbane Cobra

I made my own with 2 sheets of 6mm plywood, cut it so that I had 2 sheets 18" x 36", screwed in 4 small hinges then stuck black felt to it.

I find it really useful as it means I can always play on a correctly sized table.  There are many tables that are not large enough in one direction, this just lays on top of the table and overhangs a bit.  I even used some silver glitter paint to mark out with dots that look a bit like stars the aseroid setup area and R1 from 2 of the edges to speed up the set when we play.

It cost me about £17 to make.

I made my own with 2 sheets of 6mm plywood, cut it so that I had 2 sheets 18" x 36", screwed in 4 small hinges then stuck black felt to it.

I find it really useful as it means I can always play on a correctly sized table.  There are many tables that are not large enough in one direction, this just lays on top of the table and overhangs a bit.  I even used some silver glitter paint to mark out with dots that look a bit like stars the aseroid setup area and R1 from 2 of the edges to speed up the set when we play.

It cost me about £17 to make.

Those marks could be used as range guides to help get judge re-positioning actions etc.