Sign in to follow this  
piznit

Playmat question

I'd like to buy a playmate and Im not worried about it being a tourney legal FFG one.  Does anyone have some general feedback on the fancy ones with huge nebulas and stars everywhere?  I really like those, but Im afraid it might get a little visually busy when ships and tokens hit the board.  On the flip side, I don't want to spend 30+ dollars on a generic black starfield map either.  

I think maybe its Ficklegreendice that posts his pics who has a mat with red gas clouds in it.  I like that one from the links.  

I went into my local comic store, which is also my X-Wing supplier, to look around for stuff.
I saw 3 playmats, one was plain, two had Nebulas.. Nabulae.... Nabulii... whatever one was red, the other blue, I believe they were FFG products.
They looked pretty and were of a soft moss, very flexible, high quality and they have probably alot of friction, which is good for play.

Only thing putting me off was the price of 45€, when I went ''dahell?'', he just responded, ''jep the only problem is that nobody wants to pay that money for a playmat. But they are pretty. Buy one.'' 

Long story short: You'll probably find many pretty ones, but be wary of the price

I like the basic star mat from FFG It has good high friction bottom side and has good surface tension for throwing dice on it too, it is bit soft and has good thickness. I had some kinda vinyl mat before but it wasn't that good but it did the job tho.

In the end any 90x90cm area is good. Our first games was played on floor or table. I highly recommend to pay few extra bucks for that FFG mat.. And the money goes towards your game too, indirectly but still does, at least I tell this to myself when I buy the products, wanna contribute to x-wing because it is awesome game!

These are easily the best, no more incidental movement. The magnets keep then very firmly in place. I use two of the magnets per small and 3-4 per large and they hold incredibly well. I can pick the mat up and small ship still don't slide off. You should be able to contact the creator through Kickstarter for more info. I think he has a website now but I don't know the address.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gamersdoor/magnetic-war-mats-fix-the-slip

the endor and bespin maps are drop dead stunning. I showed my wife the Bespin one and she asked if it was wall art... thats how pretty it is. 

I got the Endor one myself and saving for the Bespin one.... the only thing I gotta do now is convince the wife when we move (September) that we need a new dining table... and said dining table must be at least 36" wide. 

Edited by Wiredin

I'd like to buy a playmate and Im not worried about it being a tourney legal FFG one.  Does anyone have some general feedback on the fancy ones with huge nebulas and stars everywhere?  I really like those, but Im afraid it might get a little visually busy when ships and tokens hit the board.  On the flip side, I don't want to spend 30+ dollars on a generic black starfield map either.  

I think maybe its Ficklegreendice that posts his pics who has a mat with red gas clouds in it.  I like that one from the links.  

I just recently bought a magnetic mat from War Mats that looks good and the magnets are great. It makes bumping a lot less of an issue and movement is much less finicky. Worth every penny and definitely worth checking out. 

These are easily the best, no more incidental movement. The magnets keep then very firmly in place. I use two of the magnets per small and 3-4 per large and they hold incredibly well. I can pick the mat up and small ship still don't slide off. You should be able to contact the creator through Kickstarter for more info. I think he has a website now but I don't know the address.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gamersdoor/magnetic-war-mats-fix-the-slip

Just warmats.com. How are you arranging the magnets to get 2 on the small base? I find that if I go with anything other than one in the center ships want to repel each other if they get too close cause the magnets are pretty strong.

These are easily the best, no more incidental movement. The magnets keep then very firmly in place. I use two of the magnets per small and 3-4 per large and they hold incredibly well. I can pick the mat up and small ship still don't slide off. You should be able to contact the creator through Kickstarter for more info. I think he has a website now but I don't know the address.https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gamersdoor/magnetic-war-mats-fix-the-slip

Just warmats.com. How are you arranging the magnets to get 2 on the small base? I find that if I go with anything other than one in the center ships want to repel each other if they get too close cause the magnets are pretty strong.
I just stack them two high, the base is slightly off the mat but two hold much better then one. I also super glue them in place. Edited by Knucklesamwich

The material is important to consider. I have a vinyl one from gale force nine. It is slippy on the table meaning it is easy to move the whole mat on accident. Bumping is more pronounced. The surface scratches from the bases fairly easy.

I bought the endor ds2 from FFG and it is far superior. Bumping is still an issue, but much less than the vinyl one.

I guess that's the issue. I like the thicker neoprene mat from FFG, seems like less issue of the entire mat moving. But I like the magnetized vinyl mats like those warmat, where the ships don't move as much. If I can't have both, I suppose if the ships stay put, the mat moving won't matter as much

I have the Yavin and star field mats from FFG and they look beautiful. If you're going to use them to play epic, you'll want 2 of them, anyway, so the blank star field is almost a no brainer. It goes well with the others to extend play area to 6'x3'. I've had zero problems with the mats or the ships moving. Bonus: if you play Armada, 2 mats also create a good play area for that.

Bottom line: I've seen only the FFG and GF9 mats live, and I find the FFG ones to be by far my preference. Much as I want a Death Star surface to fight over, the GF9 mats just don't seem to have the quality of FFG. The image quality is good, but the material doesn't seem to lay quite as flat.

These are easily the best, no more incidental movement. The magnets keep then very firmly in place. I use two of the magnets per small and 3-4 per large and they hold incredibly well. I can pick the mat up and small ship still don't slide off. You should be able to contact the creator through Kickstarter for more info. I think he has a website now but I don't know the address.https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gamersdoor/magnetic-war-mats-fix-the-slip

I use 1 on small and 2 on large and love them. Best mats ever.

I own one of the vinyl GF9 mats, and it's been a great tool for gaming.  I am planning to switch over to the Endor mat when I scrape together the cash, since I like that it lays flat.  The vinyl mat tends to have the edges curl after it's been rolled up in the tube.  You can flatten it, but it takes a bit.

I have a few different mats from different places, GF-9 Vinyl i cannot recommend due to scratching and being difficult to flatten.

Deep Cut are my favorite, they are really great and have Vinyl, Cloth and my personal favorite "mouse-pad" material.

The Vinyl mat I have of theirs for Epic  is pretty good and hasn't scratched much.

This one:

x-wing-miniature-game-mat-planets-space-

But yeah the mousepad mats they do are the best, my snow mat is brilliant, it's firmly gripped to the the table and you can just toss it down and it doesn't crease or curl. Some pictures of my mousepad mat in this thread. 

They have a punch of different space mats to chose from:

x-wing-miniatures-play-mat-deep-space-3x

supernova-wargames-terrain-mat-for-x-win

x-wing-miniature-game-play-mat-nebula-3x

FWIW - the official FFG Bespin is lovely 

This is true.

In the preview article of this last set of mats, I was all 'meh' about it, but...having seen it in play, I mean...WOW.  The Endor mat - which I *thought* I'd prefer - ends up being too busy for X-Wing.  I think it'd be a pretty good mat for half of an Armada game, but...not X-Wing.

Bespin, though...dayum...

pic3027608_md.jpg

It just *glows* in comparison.

Amazing, really...