Sign in to follow this  
John Constantine

Custom Quest I once created

DISCLAIMER: It's extremely unthematic.

It was pretty long ago. I challenged myself with creating a LotR Quest that uses MtG art entirely (or mostly). I also like undead very much, so quest is about it as well as about myserious vampires mentioned in LotR lore.

http://imgur.com/a/ZN6Ao

Just felt like sharing as there no point in just keeping it in the dust. Maybe someone will get a giggle or something.

Dunno why, but this made me smile. Maybe because I never actually played with anything that used that art. Too bad I didn't, maybe. I very much enjoy the theme on those cards. Too bad probably not anything remotely thematic in the game itself, due to it's nature.

Edited by John Constantine

Don't get me wrong, the look and theme are great, I actually don't think it is totally impossible to see in Bree. The only things I don't like are, apart from some typos, the names of some cards. A card named "An Altar" sounds awkward. Same thing for Hungry Dead. It's funny not in a good way. Even though it's a more obscure word, something like Ravenous Dead or Voracious Dead sounds better for this game. But that's still my opinion.

Also, I never play Black in Magic (only Green and White) so many of these cards, while I recognize them, can't say the name or what it does. The great vampire is in Magic a demon dragon called Malfegor which is really recognizable, apart from that, only some of them stand out uncomfortably, and many of these aren't from Magic. 

They really aren't? I found all of these by literally googling stuff like "magic the gathering art". You can't trust anybody these days.

About the cheesiness in some names - yes, I know. I just never took the quest seriously, given it's nature. But Hungry Dead... they're really hungry, what can you do? :D

On a side note, I wish there were some things like "thematic sets" in MtG so you could just buy, for example, Innistrad human deck and Innistrad Undead deck and battle each other thematicly, enjoying the fluff.

On a side note, I wish there were some things like "thematic sets" in MtG so you could just buy, for example, Innistrad human deck and Innistrad Undead deck and battle each other thematicly, enjoying the fluff.

Literally this exact same thing exists: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51FqAaW%2BMML.jpg

It includes a couple ghosts and demons, but it's mostly humans vz zombies.

Probably. Or I just phrased myself incorrectly. What I meant is a deck of innistrad common folk fighting off those nasty hordes of the undead, represented by two decks. In the decks you have suggested, there is some strange birds, angels, wraiths and other out of place (for me) stuff. 

Magic is D&D level high fantasy. Even Innistrad, possibly its lowest fantasy setting ever, has werewolves, vampires, ghosts and various other beings. You could build a deck only with humans and zombies, but in their preconstructed products they like to include a nice variety of creatures, just like in this game they promote using various different characters to make decks, not just strict tribal decks only.

What are you talking about? The only non-human creatures in the human deck are geists (ghosts) and angels, with both races known to be allied to humans (at least at the beginning). Also there's a bird. That's not really opposing the human theme.

And those weird winged creatures are this world's version of hyppogryff, with the head of a heron instead of eagle. They are used as mounts by human knights.

Edited by Gizlivadi

I just realized one little thing. Instead of creating unthematic custom quest for LotR LCG that uses a lot of MtG art, I can instead created a small MtG mod for LotR LCG that would be completely thematic. There is abundance of MtG art out there!