Sign in to follow this  
HernerJade

Force Power Suppress Question

Hello all, I have a bit of confusion on how this power works. I was glancing at Keeping the Peace and thought adding the failures per force point sounded like a good deal. My character has a force rating of three to I felt like it would be a good investment. As I read the base power, it seems you can add a failure as you have force points to spend. I rolled about 5 light side pips during a practice go, so as I read it I would generate 5 failures on force power checks on enemies casting at me or allies at short range (I don't have the book here so forgive me if this isn't entirely accurate).

My question though is how the strength upgrades work. It sounded like you get an additional failure generated each time during you cast the power, but is that per use or per generated force pip? It wasn't exactly clear and if it is per pip it seems insane that on a good roll you can generate almost ten failures to a check to resist. Let me know what is right or wrong.

The basic power may not be activated multiple times, so you can only spend 1 force point to add 1 failure per use. The strength upgrades allow you to spend another point to add failure equal to upgrades purchased (of which there are 2), and may not be activated multiple times.

So the power may add a total of 3 failure to a check.

If you read the full description of the basic power on page 38, it says at the end of the paragraph that the use can't activate the basic power more than once.  So all you get with just the basic power is a single failure added to the enemy's Force power checks no matter how many Force points you generate.

So if you want to force the other guy to add multiple automatic failures to their Force power checks, then you need the Strength Upgrades.  Which also have the "cannot activate multiple times" language at the end of their full description on page 39.

Those three automatic failures may not seem like a whole lot, but when this power is backed up by a strong Discipline skill rating, those three auto-failures can make quite a difference.  Especially if you commit a Force dice to keep the effect going, which could very well result in an enemy Force wizard being significantly reduced in their effectiveness.

It also pairs well with Calming Aura and Improved Calming aura.

The big expenditure of Force pips is actually on range since the Evil Force Wizard must remain within the range band of suppress after its active.

How similar is this power from the Sever Force power from Tales of the Jedi: The Sith War?  It's the power Nomi Sunrider used to cut Ulic Qel-Droma off completely from the Force. It was codified with stats in D20, but not D6 (since TotJ The Sith War came out after WEG lost the license). 

How similar is this power from the Sever Force power from Tales of the Jedi: The Sith War?  It's the power Nomi Sunrider used to cut Ulic Qel-Droma off completely from the Force. It was codified with stats in D20, but not D6 (since TotJ The Sith War came out after WEG lost the license). 

Not much in practice. The effect is only temporary, and doesn't actively prevent the target from using the Force, just disrupting their use of it in that instance. The Mastery upgrade works mostly by disrupting the target's concentration (being a Discipline vs. Discipline check). It's probably much closer to Force suppression than anything, although it doesn't seem to be a mental trick like that is.

Yeah, this is the power I'm talking about. 

In particular, this specific variation: 

In a very taxing variation of this technique usable only by those with experience in battle meditation, the Force-user could use the Force to sever a target who was heavily tainted or consumed by the dark side. This technique effectively caged the user's power within their own darkness and rendered them blind to the Force, though not dead to it.[11] Nomi Sunrider used this technique on Ulic Qel-Droma after he killed his brother Cay on Ossus.[7]
Edited by Tramp Graphics

In a very taxing variation of this technique usable only by those with experience in battle meditation, the Force-user could use the Force to sever a target who was heavily tainted or consumed by the dark side. This technique effectively caged the user's power within their own darkness and rendered them blind to the Force, though not dead to it.[11] Nomi Sunrider used this technique on Ulic Qel-Droma after he killed his brother Cay on Ossus.[7]

Cutting someone off entirely from the Force is pretty much the realm of "narrative plot device," as well something that powerful generally should be.

Even Saga Edition's take on Sever Force didn't prevent the target from using the Force, it just gave them not to inconsiderable penalty for doing so.

Cutting someone off entirely from the Force is pretty much the realm of "narrative plot device," as well something that powerful generally should be.

Even Saga Edition's take on Sever Force didn't prevent the target from using the Force, it just gave them not to inconsiderable penalty for doing so.

Yeah, I never bothered with SAGA; too much like old school D&D Second Ed for my takes. I'm talking about how it appeared in the Power of the Jedi SB (RCRB rules), which was closer to it's use in fiction. 

sounds like a really good idea :) if you succeed that is... but it would be hard to pull of when you don't know who is sensing you i think.

If you are behind a wall and on the other side your pursuer uses the Sense power, you might not know it as it is not usually contested. But it's a fun idea.

4 hours ago, NicoDavout said:

What do you think about using the Suppress force power (commit) to impact the Sense basic power to avoid being detected?

I think one point you should consider though, is that it wouldn't work exactly the same as that one Talent that lets you conceal yourself from Force detections.   

Using Suppress would still let the person use their Sense power, but you would effectively be actively jamming it.  So they would likely notice something odd was up.  "Hmm, my Sense is working just fine, I mean I'm tapping into the Force without any problem, but something, or someone *dramatic music sting* is interfering!  Their must be someone around that knows I'm hunting them!"    Where as that stealth talent that simply conceals your presence would be where they activate Sense, and just simply don't pick you up.

To use sonar/nautical examples, the first scenario would be them actively pinging the area, and being actively jammed.  They don't know what's going on, as their sonar is jammed, but they know SOMEBODY is also out there, somewhere, actively trying to block their ability to sense their environment.   

Scenario 2 would be where they are pinging their sonar, without any interference, but they are simply not getting a ping back from you.

At least, that's how I would run the difference in the two actions if I was the GM.

In Legends media, Darth Zannah regularly conceals her "Force Rating" - which is SUBSTANTIAL - so that she goes completely unnoticed. From a group of Jedi Masters, from Darth Bane, and other Force Sensitives. This one of her "Things".

There is also regular Suppression used in the same books, by and on many parties. When you're Suppressed, you know. It is someone using the Force against you, to sever or hinder your connection to the Force. It is the Suppression Power.

When you're completely hiding your Force connection from detection, it is completely unknown. It is the Shadow Talent - Shroud.