Sign in to follow this  
Joe Boss Red Seven

FFG Has STAR WARS Covered... (NO X-40k)

... now stop griping about a 40k version of X-Wing and be happy!

:lol:

Naturally, these different types of thrills lend themselves to all sorts of different games. Just among the offerings from Fantasy Flight Games, you have the capital ship battles of Star Wars™: Armada, the mission-focused ground combats ofImperial Assault, the character-driven storytelling enabled by three different roleplaying games, and the squad-based dogfights of X-Wing™. You can even recreate the entire Galactic Civil War with Star Wars™: Rebellion. These games provide a wealth of different play experiences from which you can choose, each of which focuses on a different sort of Star Wars thrill.

Nice and sparkling clear... yet?

The way FFG supports their games, not just X-wing but every game I have much faith in them.

They sure do. Some old-doggs like me wanted a 40k'ish version of X-Wing but it should be clear by now that FFG is not going to do that. They do not need to do it either.

:)

xwing-and-explosion.png

The way FFG supports their games, not just X-wing but every game I have much faith in them.

They sure do. Some old-doggs like me wanted a 40k'ish version of X-Wing but it should be clear by now that FFG is not going to do that. They do not need to do it either.

:)

xwing-and-explosion.png

The problem is you have so many new people to this game that they don't see the whole picture. I have been in since wave 2 and I have witnesses all the fixes. I use the Tie Advanced as a perfect example. Since wave 2 it was pretty much irrelevant and there used to be nearly DAILY threads about fixing the advanced. FFG not only fixed it but made it immediately one of the better ships available to the empire in a role that wasn't filled with anything yet. Vader is now used extremely often as he SHOULD be! The A-Wing is another excellent example of FFG listening and responding. The new players are coming in at a time where there are numerous ships that need some attention and don't realize that it's a long process to design and play test a "fix". Personally I plan to play X-Wing, Armada and IA for the rest of my life because they are excellent games that I have ALWAYS wanted to play. I can wait a long time for a perfect fix rather then a quick fix that doesn't help the game.

Naturally, these different types of thrills lend themselves to all sorts of different games. Just among the offerings from Fantasy Flight Games, you have the capital ship battles of Star Wars™: Armada, the mission-focused ground combats ofImperial Assault, the character-driven storytelling enabled by three different roleplaying games, and the squad-based dogfights of X-Wing™. You can even recreate the entire Galactic Civil War with Star Wars™: Rebellion. These games provide a wealth of different play experiences from which you can choose, each of which focuses on a different sort of Star Wars thrill.

This post answers a strawman I didn't know existed.

I like the spaceships of X-Wing and Armada combined with the storytelling of Edge of the Empire.

In other words:

I'm one happy chappy :)

(P.S. Mixed game campaign, with YouTube Channel and Blog coming soon to share my hobby with all y'all)

Edited by Rhosaarc

Yeah it still crops up from time to time when one of us veterans post a picture of our toys...

BOSS%2527%2BLAND%2BWAR%2BBASE%2BSIX%2BSC

... now stop griping about a 40k version of X-Wing and be happy! :lol:

Yeah it still crops up from time to time when one of us veterans post a picture of our toys...

BOSS%27%2BLAND%2BWAR%2BBASE%2BSIX%2BSCAL

Yea but what argument? What is X-wing 40k?

Thing is, some of us like both Star Wars and 40k and would very much like some non-crap 40k rules to play with.

Some years back FFG was doing a great job with 40k RPGs (Rogue Trader was m y favorite) so that gave me&my friends (most if us huge fans of 40k fluff but not of GWs mess they try to call 'rules') hope that maybe there were going to be some cool 40k games going forward. All of the 40k RPGs are now however unofficially dead, all but abandoned in favor of newer and shinier Star Wars RPGs.

As much as I'd like to see some mechanics (especially Armada) ported to a 40k setting I'm realistic: the chance of that happening is very slim. Star Wars is a cash cow 40k can't even begin to compare to and any man-hour FFG has available probably makes far greater profit when used to develop Star Wars products than 40k ones

Same here, or I'll make some changes myself here at home. This is an awesome game series and FFG is doing just fine!

:D

I have played board games my entire life and no other game has been as engrossing as X-Wing. Nothing is even close. There is not another game that I have enjoyed this much and enjoy it more the more I play it without getting stale. There are literally hundreds of squads I want to try out. FFG is the entire package for me. When I go to gencon every year I spend lots of time at FFG booth because the people demonstrating games are always awesome and their games are a cut above. I spent time two years ago playing X-Wing with James Kniffen who was one of the lead designers on the first few waves of X-Wing. I didn't know who he was and we started talking and he was asking me what I thought of different ships and I told him honestly. He then told me he had designed them and I thought that was an awesome moment. He really appreciated the honest feedback. That really sealed it for me that day. If FFG has that level of interest in what an average player thinks then they truly care about their products.

Old school gamers wanted FFG to make a games workshop 40k game out of their STAR WARS products. Like the picture of my stuff above. The first two years of the game this topic came up very often. here.

The recent article brings things into perspective generally speaking. FFG has STAR WARS covered.... now.

;)

... now stop griping about a 40k version of X-Wing and be happy! :lol: Naturally, these different types of thrills lend themselves to all sorts of different games. Just among the offerings from Fantasy Flight Games, you have the capital ship battles of Star Wars™: Armada, the mission-focused ground combats ofImperial Assault, the character-driven storytelling enabled by three different roleplaying games, and the squad-based dogfights of X-Wing™. You can even recreate the entire Galactic Civil War with Star Wars™: Rebellion. These games provide a wealth of different play experiences from which you can choose, each of which focuses on a different sort of Star Wars thrill.  Nice and sparkling clear... yet?

Yeah.

It has been a long time since I really looked at 40k, but do they even have enough ships to warrant a dog fight game?

I could see maybe a redo of Battlefleet Gothic.

I also don't think FFG is looking to do you Yugioh dog fight game, but they may do something connected with Shopkins though...

Yeah. It has been a long time since I really looked at 40k, but do they even have enough ships to warrant a dog fight game?

I think they do. Off the top of my head I can think of 25-30. That being said, unlike Star Wars, I haven't seen much 40k fluff where fighter combat has the central role.

Yeah. It has been a long time since I really looked at 40k, but do they even have enough ships to warrant a dog fight game?

I think they do. Off the top of my head I can think of 25-30. That being said, unlike Star Wars, I haven't seen much 40k fluff where fighter combat has the central role.

They do they recently even released a new book adding a dogfight phase to 40k, along with a new flier or two. And more advanced rules where each type of flier has a specific role, and that dictates its shooting abilities at others or at other targets.

As for capital ships they still have a lot of ships from the old Gothic game, and other sources since then, if they ever release BFG.

I'm playing the FFG Star Wars games because they are not 40k. I have some deep seated love for 40k, but there has never been something like X Wing in Gamesworkshop's efforts. Flying units continue to be an abstraction despite the $60 models.

Battlefleet Gothic is a favorite of mine, but was so baroque in its execution that finding people to play with was an exercise in futility. It had a chart to calculate your firing people, a chart! It was like weaponized Xcel!

I've spent a couple hundred hours painting my armies, way less playing them. That's mostly a scale issue though. I've already spent that much time just playing FFG's games, and having zero trouble finding people to play with.

Basically, FFG is doing everything right with the Star Wars licence to the point that I'm questioning myself on have I gone too far with buying in on every game. If you still love your complex and beautiful British girlfriend/ boyfriend, cheers to you. To those enjoying the ride here, let's play!

I'm playing the FFG Star Wars games because they are not 40k. I have some deep seated love for 40k, but there has never been something like X Wing in Gamesworkshop's efforts. Flying units continue to be an abstraction despite the $60 models.

Battlefleet Gothic is a favorite of mine, but was so baroque in its execution that finding people to play with was an exercise in futility. It had a chart to calculate your firing people, a chart! It was like weaponized Xcel!

I've spent a couple hundred hours painting my armies, way less playing them. That's mostly a scale issue though. I've already spent that much time just playing FFG's games, and having zero trouble finding people to play with.

Basically, FFG is doing everything right with the Star Wars licence to the point that I'm questioning myself on have I gone too far with buying in on every game. If you still love your complex and beautiful British girlfriend/ boyfriend, cheers to you. To those enjoying the ride here, let's play!

We had way more people locally who played BFG than currently play Armada.

I like Armada, but it's got a very FFG feel to it that not everyone likes. The special movement tool, the special dice, the 'top heavy' approach to the rules... Frankly if Armada didn't have a Star Wars skin I wouldn't bother with it.

a very FFG feel to it that not everyone likes. The special movement tool, the special dice, the 'top heavy' approach to the rules...

I saw an interview with some FFG people once where they were saying that (unlike GW) they did market research and discovered that the custom dice and special templates and such are actually far more popular than Tahoe measures and regular dice with tables. People like having everything needed to play included.

a very FFG feel to it that not everyone likes. The special movement tool, the special dice, the 'top heavy' approach to the rules...

I saw an interview with some FFG people once where they were saying that (unlike GW) they did market research and discovered that the custom dice and special templates and such are actually far more popular than Tahoe measures and regular dice with tables. People like having everything needed to play included.

Nerd ocd.

Nerd ocd.

Them or me?