Sign in to follow this  
Darkcloak

Imp Vets, Asmodee and Brexit. FFG makes big mistake.

There's a lot to address here, but I'll restrict my response to a single item.

The Brexit will likely have little or no impact on trade with the UK, aside from temporary currency valuations based on speculation and market manipulators. The main trade impact will be between the UK and the rest of Europe, and even there it will likely only be a bit deal if the EU goes out of its way to try to impose punitive trade terms on the UK. Obama is already backing off on his threats about pushing the UK to the back of the line, and without the Senate being on board there'd be serious limits to how much he, or whoever succeeds him, could do to punish the UK for reclaiming some degree of sovereignty.

I didn't think we'd see a post more outlandish than the Op, but here we are.

There's a lot to address here, but I'll restrict my response to a single item.

The Brexit will likely have little or no impact on trade with the UK, aside from temporary currency valuations based on speculation and market manipulators. The main trade impact will be between the UK and the rest of Europe, and even there it will likely only be a bit deal if the EU goes out of its way to try to impose punitive trade terms on the UK. Obama is already backing off on his threats about pushing the UK to the back of the line, and without the Senate being on board there'd be serious limits to how much he, or whoever succeeds him, could do to punish the UK for reclaiming some degree of sovereignty.

This post has insufficient Illuminati.

As Ricky Gervais said in a tweet "Joking aside, Brexit won't make any difference. The rich will still be rich, the poor will still be poor, and we'll (Brits) still blame the foreigners."

Ricky's trying to keep the general populace in line by cynically pointing out there's nothing to see here.

Everything's fine now, situation normal. We're all fine here now. How are you?

Illuminati confirmed.

/tinfoil

Edited by Duck of Doom

Imperial Veterans was available in the UK since early last week.  Brexit vote took place on Thursday and the pound dropped considerably.  I propose that there is sufficient cause to believe that Asmodee may have manipulated the handling the Imperial Veterans release to take advantage of the Brexit vote.  Knowing that a vote to leave the EU would seize up the UK economy for a time I believe that Asmodee may have orchestrated a plan to move what product they could through the UK as fast as possible. 

FFG news goes cold and creates a sense of urgency among consumers about the pending release of an overdue product while reports of Imp Vets being available in the UK begin to surface.  Limited quantities mean that not everyone can get Imp Vets and so less stable markets are shorted and the product sent to the UK.  Why?  Brexit.  There may have been sufficient cause for Asmodee to think that the Leave Vote would win and they guessed the effect on the local market and the global one as well.  Asmodee isn't going to be selling toy spaceships in the UK for quite some time now as this whole Brexit thing pans out, but if the UK has a weaker pound then perhaps online buyers can be persuaded to buy from the UK before release?  Before the Brexit Vote I'm sure you will be able to see that a large quantity of Imp Vets were sold there, taking advantage of the strong currency.  After Brexit, I'm sure those number will increase due to the relatively increased buying power of foreign currencies.  This is a short window of opportunity for profit but it exists nonetheless as once the product is released the synthetic demand for it will taper off.  But I ask you, how many of us are on our way right now to buy Imp Vets early from a UK website?

Long story short, FFG and Asmodee saw the writing on the wall and enacted a plan to take advantage of the Brexit Vote to sell toys online in direct opposition of their previously stated goal of protecting Brick and Mortar game stores.   Not exactly high treason, but I think the customer base has been duped royally and the guilty parties should at least come forward and admit their mistakes.  It is unethical to take advantage of political upheaval to sell toys.  It is especially unethical to do so when you have made statements saying that you are a caring and compassionate company whose interest lies in the enjoyment of the game and the Star Wars universe in general. 

Perhaps FFG should remember that when Han Solo tells his erst-while copilot to 'Fly Casual', he is doing so in the interest of deceiving their enemy!

Fly casual FFG, fly casual!

BOO%2BTOPIC%2B1.png

alternatively, the plastic spaceships dont control the economy or w/e you wrote after the first paragraph i stopped reading

You have it the wrong way around. OP is saying they used the current situation to increase their profit margins. Whilst it could be seen as a nut cracker conspiracy theory, companies have done a lot worse in the name of the dollar. If they can make even a small increase over thousands of units that's a large increase into their Net gain.

Upset some game nerds for a week to increase profits? Makes sense in the capitalist society we find ourselves in. 

If I'm reading this right, you say Asmodee forced FFG to get a new release to Britian a week or so before it gets released in the USA so they could cash in on it before the Brexit vote that they somehow knew the outcome of that was the opposite of what practically everyone was thinking. Somehow cashing in on the £ tanking a bit. I think pretty much every stock market took a huge hit today so unless you have a papertrail showing Asmodee buying gold/silver earlier this week....

i need to make a lousy topic macro with nothing but coggies

I'd pay real money to see a lousy topic post of nothing but corgies.

How do you feel about this topic little buddie?

:D

GOOD BOY!

:lol:

Edited by Joe Boss Red Seven

Glad to know Joe Boss Red Seven thinks my topic is lousy.  I'd hate to appeal to that sort of audience anyways.  Don't you have some Gunboaters to scare with your silly Werewolf pictures?

Thanks for the reads and replies everyone.  As the Brexit Vote pans out and more is learned about how this affected everyone I'm sure we'll see plenty evidence of other companies cashing in on a collapsed pound. 

To think that suggesting a company take advantage of an upcoming market shift be met with such resistance from mere consumers is alarming!  Really we ought to have more interest in how companies operate, especially the ones we support.  I would be very interested in investigating why Imperial Veterans faced such delays, only to arrive in the UK early, right before a key political decision was to be made.  I'm not saying Asmodee had advanced knowledge of the Brexit outcome, but if you think a global corporation isn't brainstorming how to handle a situation like Brexit, then you are the silly one.

Glad to know Joe Boss Red Seven thinks my topic is lousy.  I'd hate to appeal to that sort of audience anyways.  Don't you have some Gunboaters to scare with your silly Werewolf pictures?

Thanks for the reads and replies everyone.  As the Brexit Vote pans out and more is learned about how this affected everyone I'm sure we'll see plenty evidence of other companies cashing in on a collapsed pound. 

To think that suggesting a company take advantage of an upcoming market shift be met with such resistance from mere consumers is alarming!  Really we ought to have more interest in how companies operate, especially the ones we support.  I would be very interested in investigating why Imperial Veterans faced such delays, only to arrive in the UK early, right before a key political decision was to be made.  I'm not saying Asmodee had advanced knowledge of the Brexit outcome, but if you think a global corporation isn't brainstorming how to handle a situation like Brexit, then you are the silly one.

Okay, nevermind the rest of the world having a slight dip in the market because they thought the UK would stay... "Stocks are trading higher than expected as the UK is expected to stay in the EU..." that was yesterday's news... So please grab your tinfoil tighter. Don't forget to tell people how Bush did 9/11 and Obama forged his birth certificate on your way out the door.

Why are you guys writing about lighting things? I don't get that.

Also, but this could be my lack of language knowledge but I think you're spelling it wrong.

Archie

I'm not meeting the suggestion with resistance so much as I'm meeting it with a dose of scepticism and cynicism. If you were talking about Apple or Samsung, I'd be more inclined to find the idea plausible. What I'm struggling with is the idea that there was a conspiracy to delay US sales of a plastic toy while stock was rerouted across an ocean to push early UK sales of - and it's worth stressing this again - a $35 plastic toy with some cards.

I mean, problem number one with the theory is that I picked up my ships last Thursday, but I'm in Ireland. We don't use Sterling, and wouldn't be any more or less effected by the result than continental Europe. If the reason for this push was to get sales in before the Brexit vote, why can I freely pick them up in stores here?