Sign in to follow this  
Darth Onyx

Rogue One - TIE Striker

The TIE-Striker will only get a release if it is an actual space fighter. Things like the book that was leaked recently point to it being a airspeeder, like the T-47 or the Bespin Cloud Car. If its a speeder we wont have a release.

And yes, there have been several posts/threads on said fighter.

Its a space fighter, FFG will release it, it will be our first TIE with a turret. Glad to have that settled.

Last I saw it was consensu that it was more likely an air speeder. I guess that consensus must have changed, we will see in the movie, I've been trying to avoid as many spoilers as possible.

And if it is a space fighter then, yes I think it will be released, and will have a turret.

But, as for your "glad to have that settled" comment, it was rather rude, so way to show that you are a bit of a arse, Holysorcerer...I'm glad we have settled that realization.

Edited by knavelead

The TIE-Striker will only get a release if it is an actual space fighter. Things like the book that was leaked recently point to it being a airspeeder, like the T-47 or the Bespin Cloud Car. If its a speeder we wont have a release.

And yes, there have been several posts/threads on said fighter.

Its a space fighter, FFG will release it, it will be our first TIE with a turret. Glad to have that settled.

Last I saw it was consensu that it was more likely an air speeder.

And if it is a space fighter then, yes I think it will be released, and will have a turret.

But, as for your "glad to have that settled" comment, way to show that you are a bit of a arse, Holysorcerer...I'm glad we have settled that realization.

Well considering that LFL released a photo of the TIE Stikers flying next to TIE Fighters in space, I'd say it's pretty much settled.

The build of this fugly Striker does not support space combat capabilities compared to the other TIE fighters.

Simply the fact that the wings are horizontal, thus only charging energy from sunlight from "äbove", in comparison

to the TIE Advanced who has almost 360 coverage as a space-fighter, thus not needing to turn its wings to the sun.

Strikers on planets will get the sun rays from above so this seems logical.

Just because an (irrelevant) magazine posts the two TIE's next to each other says nothing.

Just my thoughts.

Edited by Rhaivaen

Well considering that LFL released a photo of the TIE Stikers flying next to TIE Fighters in space, I'd say it's pretty much settled.

That may be true, but that isnt 100% evidence that it will be a space capable fighter.

We have Luke holding up a lightsaber that goes very high up in the sky- to space even in an old poster for Episode IV. We have characters heads and faces floating in space on others, does that mean, Luke's lightsaber is able to go into space from the ground, or do we have characters that can sirvive the vacuum of space, no. Its artistic license./

So until we see evidence, in Rogue One, of it being in space combat or even just space flight it could be either one.

Edited by knavelead

So until we see evidence, in Rogue One, of it being in space combat or even just space flight it could be either one.

Do you think the movie will make clear if it is a space or atmospheric fighter? Star Wars movies usually don't even name their fighters! (unless it is seen fighting in space, we will only know the technical specs of this ship with a later book or other written stuff)

Edited by Odanan

Do you think the movie will make clear if it is a space or atmospheric fighter? Star Wars movies usually don't even name their fighters! (unless it is seen fighting in space, we will only know the technical specs of this ship with a later book or other written stuff)

Yeah, I thin it'll be relatively clear from either leaving a Star Destroyer in space or just showing up in the sky. But that is as much as we've gotten in thke past and others that make the books then decide on the specs. So between the two we'll have enough evidence, and it wont be because of a pictre in a magazine that could be for artistic purposes only. Also I think if there is a space battle and if there are only TIE/LNs then it'll be clear that way. Again the movie will give greater insight than one picture.

Have we gone back in time?

Yep

I built a time machine and encountered my future self. This resulted in a breakdown of the space-time continuum that scrambled days and months.

What you thought were past topics on this subject were in fact future topics reflected back through a subspace tear.

Sorry about that.

But the future does look good.

Assuming I haven't just altered it by telling you.

You can't alter time as soon as you go back you create a new dimension.

Like Disney did?

no, you're thinking of Star Trek

Mara Jade, Ben Skywalker, Jaina Solo, Jacen Solo, Anakin Solo and so many others say otherwise. 

After what the post-NJO stories put him through, Jacen's better off not being canon. Arguably so is Anakin, since he doesn't have to worry about getting killed off just because they thought readers would be too stupid to realize he wasn't the same guy as that other Anakin. (Seriously, that's why Anakin Solo died and what would've been his role in the rest of NJO went to Jacen.)

After what the post-NJO stories put him through, Jacen's better off not being canon. Arguably so is Anakin, since he doesn't have to worry about getting killed off just because they thought readers would be too stupid to realize he wasn't the same guy as that other Anakin. (Seriously, that's why Anakin Solo died and what would've been his role in the rest of NJO went to Jacen.)

I'm not so sure it would have gone to Anakin, I think the darkside was meant for Jacen from the get go, he or Jaina's boyfriend Zekk or watever his name was that went semi-bad when they were young teenagers in the Young Jedi books.

As for Jacen, he was the likely candidate in my book since he and his sister were so close- closer than either of them was to Anakin, so that when she has to confront him when he has gone evil, it is even more emotional for the reader. Also him being her twinwas kind of something along the lines of duality where one does this and chooses a different path- Rogue Squadron, etc, And the other falls to the darkside.

Either way we can be thankful some of it is kinda gone, sicne some was bad, but I think we can agree it was much better than whiney little Ani practically killing his own love of his life when he wants to save her, during his tempertantrum, and thinking "From my point of view the Jedi are evil!" Really give me a BREAK!

Edited by knavelead

In celebration, let's create an index;

maxam, waaay back in May:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/220198-spoilers-rogue-one-ships/page-1?hl=striker

Olethros, little bit later in May:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/220199-new-ships-in-rogue-one-u-wing-and-tie-striker/?hl=striker

Me, being noobieMcJohnnyComeLately clueless in June

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/222508-tie-striker-speculation/?hl=striker

gerrylum, with a lovely magazine cover pic, later in June

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/223232-entertainment-weekly-shows-new-rogue-one-tie-fighters/?hl=striker#entry2277631

Let's face it, if you like this game, then you like theory crafting. Do we have any more advanced/plausible/wacky thoughts to go with the TIE Stogie? (4 reds, turrent slot, first ship able to loop and wind up 2 straight back from it's original position, potentially behind a trailing craft?)

EDIT: Let me go on the record saying I believe an atmos-only TIE (in a movie no less, more likely in a novel or comic), to be an inane idea. IRregardless of whether or not there would be a practical in-universe use for it.... no, there wouldn't be. TIE/ln are practically engines strapped to an ejection seat and thanks to artistic licence/lazy storytelling they do air and space whenever we like (and I wouldn't have it any other way). With that much general purpose utility in the cheapest craft ever (/hyperbole), I certainly don't see the Empire taking the time and effort to build what looks like a more complicated/expensive version that is restrained to an atmosphere... nope.. doesn't scan.

Edited by juxstapo

Now, you could make the case for the TIE Striker being a variant designed under an Imperial Army contract rather than Imperial Navy (which could explain it not being seen in Imperial fleets so far), but even then there's no reason that it would be atmosphere-only. Imperial Army bases, after all, will have to defend a planet even when no ships are in orbit, so if they have their own air assets they'd want them to be capable of going into space. Plus, Sienar would probably design the things with space capability in hopes of selling them to the Navy too.

At any rate, given who the main antagonist of Rogue One seems to be, I kind of expect the TIE Striker to be an ISB craft. Which could explain why the trailer shows Jyn Erso undercover in what looks like a combinination TIE pilot suit and ISB uniform.