Sign in to follow this  
McFoy

War machine/Hordes

Does anyone have experience playing War machine here? With the new release soon I'm looking to get into it playing as Khador. A friend at my LGS has experience and he's been pushing the owner to get the battle boxes. 

For you more experienced miniature collectors/gamers are there specific sites that I could find older armies to buy or is Ebay my best bet?

A lot of people at the FLGS play. I picked up a hordes army a while back, and read the rules, but never actually found the time to play.

It's a very tight ruleset (I see no reason to think mk3 won't be as well) with an emphasis on competitive, tournament style play. A lot of the game is in the list building, finding good combos of abilities among your forces, but it would say even more of the game is skill in playing your force in such a way that those combos can trigger for maximum effect (and denying your opponent the same opportunity).

From what I have heard, if you start playing, you can expect to get royally creamed quite a few times until you figure out how to set up your attacks and protect your war-caster/lock.

Yeah, I expect to lose for a long time. I've been watching video of matches and while those are presumably pretty skimmed down it looks very straightforward. I'll be having an experienced playing working on getting me up to snuff so it should be alright. 

What horde did you get?

Edited by McFoy

Yeah, I expect to lose for a long time. I've been watching video of matches and while those are presumably pretty skimmed down it looks very straightforward. I'll be having an experienced playing working on getting me up to snuff so it should be alright. 

What horde did you get?

I have a Circle army. I really like some aspects of the game, but others just really rub me, personally, the wrong way. For instance, I REALLY don't like the visual aesthetics of war jacks and since you HAVE to take some (at least in mk2, is that still the case?), that element also bothered me. I also don't care for the "checkmate, go after the leader" aspect. It probably makes for a better "game", but just doesn't work flavor wise for me, no matter what fluff PP makes up to justify it.

I have a cygnar I've played a time or two and will be getting the 3rd edition cards for.

I enjoy the game myself, and while it's a bit more expensive then X-Wing it's much cheaper than 40k is.  It has some pretty cool mechanics and a fair amount of depth.  

It's not as customizeable as X-Wing, there is in 2nd ed anyway not much you can do to tweak a given unit.  A Ironclad Warjack is a Ironclad and that's that.  So the biggest part of list building is in what units to include rather than what options to include for those units.

There's a little of that, attachments for given units but that's really more about adding another model.

Another thing is that most factions play a given way, so make sure you like how Khador plays before you buy them.

I have a cygnar I've played a time or two and will be getting the 3rd edition cards for.

I enjoy the game myself, and while it's a bit more expensive then X-Wing it's much cheaper than 40k is.  It has some pretty cool mechanics and a fair amount of depth.  

It's not as customizeable as X-Wing, there is in 2nd ed anyway not much you can do to tweak a given unit.  A Ironclad Warjack is a Ironclad and that's that.  So the biggest part of list building is in what units to include rather than what options to include for those units.

There's a little of that, attachments for given units but that's really more about adding another model.

Another thing is that most factions play a given way, so make sure you like how Khador plays before you buy them.

From what I've seen Khador should suit me fine and I really like their aesthetic. Once I've played a bit it'll determine whether i invest or not really.