Sign in to follow this  
-Pagan-

How is Warhammer Invasion?

At present it consists of the base set (must have) and one (almost two) battle packs. Base set has 1-3 copies of a fixed number of cards, enough to make some decks for each faction. The battle pack has 1-3 cards of a fixed amount (much fewer) and has enough cards to explore some new concepts, mostly skaven.

The game works as a 'monster' battle game. Each turn you'll get some 'money' to use to bring some guys (units) in to play in a zone of your choice: Kingdom, Quest, Battlefeild. Each unit has text, hit points, and power. You get more 'money' for each point of power in your kingdom zone, draw more cards per turn for each power in your quest zone, and your battle zone is used for attacking enemies.

Once per turn you can send your battlefeild out for a fightin at an enemies zone of choice. Your power on those units in damage are dealt how you choose to his defending units (if any), with left overs hitting his capitol cities zone in damage. (and he allocates his defenders to your attackers... no spill over here, from defending to attacking). A zone can take 8 damage before it burns, which just means you are half way to winning. Two zones burning and a player is eliminated.

Fun additions: Once per turn you can take a card from your hand and place it face down in a zone as a 'development'. Each development in one of your zones, increases that zones threshold for burning by one damage. Also developments are tied to several card effects, both positively if you included those cards in your deck, and also card effects by opponent's may punishm you for not having them.

Why this game is good: It plays like your normal monster battle, but with that one big difference. THE RESOURCE SYSTEM. You choose each turn where your power is allocated by playing your units, and as such, you determine how many cards you draw, and how much money you have to spend. Epic. (oh and the card design).

im also a warhammer table top wargamer

and i have to agree with the above statements... Warhammer Invasion is an awesome game
ive never played a LCG or CCG before....i got this game becuase it was set in the Warhammer World and i totally love this game :)

This game is great!!! gran_risa.gif

I've played a few TCG's in the past, but always thought that their collectible nature was a money sink. I generally like W's fantasy world, but really lack the time (or money commitment) to paint an army, let alone create terrain, store it, find players, etc.

This game is good on its own right, be the player a W's fan or TCG's fan, or none, or both. It's tremendous fun being able to build your own deck, and pit it against an opponent in a fast-paced game, with a satisfying in-game depth. Monthly releases and a system that will develop with time means uncountable hours of fun, all with no cards-to-go-to-the-bin (as with the TCG's model).

The definition of competetive is going to change ona monthly basis as a result of the games relatively small card pool. I have two, and I don't really have any huge desires for a third copy of some of the single cards...

So 2, and at most 3 (obviously as the game has a 3 card limit). Then again as more BPs come out, I'm sure i'll be able to build something tech without even a single copy of some of the 'rare' cards in the Core Set.

I played Magic until the Ice Age set. I promised myself that I wouldn't go back and it got harder and harder as the sets from the last few years came out.

Then I found Invasion. I have zero desire to play Magic anymore. That's the best way I can describe how good the game is.

Its a great escape from the TCG/CCG life cycle, I'm still currently playing the WoWTCG, but after seeing the LCG for FFG, I am really considering switching to these because its easy to pick it up and play with just your friends. I will miss out in the large tournaments, but its starting to get to costly to upkeep the cards and to travel.

All i want is the joy of deck construction and playing testing the decks with the set of friends i have already, i will miss the competitive play of the tournaments, but oh well at least i dont have to chase rare (and expensive cards) anymore.

The way I explain it to a lot of our regular gamers is simple:

Warhammer: Invasion and LCGs in general are a great secondary game simply due to the pricing structure.

$40 for the core set and $10 a month (soon to be 15 for better battle packs) is all it costs to have every card in the game.
Skip one magic draft a month and you can get your Warhammer Battle Pack!

The game is a blast to play and allows you to play the game out the way you want to, and has more strategy than simple "topdeck" luck that is often seen in games of magic or other TCGs.