Piscopas

Piscopas's Paint Log

Superb bright looking Tie there piscopas.

If you and some others are having a bit of an issue laying down bright colours, have you ever tried spray painting the model ?

All of my models are sprayed with Aerosols, automotive and model hobby spray paint.

Once the model is cleaned with washing up liquid, sometimes key the surfaces with a scotch bright pad.

Then primer the model in grey, or white for bright colours.

Like yellow.

And spray paint lays down really easy, thin but with excellent coverage.

Its also a lot faster for laying down the base coat ready for panel shading and inking.

And you won't lose detail like you can with the thickness of some paints. :D

Just a thought with regards to making bright colours easier.

All the best

Barry.

I use spray primers, but so far I only use black, white and grey.  I know a lot of people do spray basecoats with airbrushes, but I don't have one and not really interested in getting one.  They seem very fiddly.

Are you saying that you go back over the primed model with a colored spray from a can?

Thanks for all the advice, :D should be very helpful.  

I use P3 spray primer aerosols (favorite brand)  and if I'm doing a swath of models or large objects I'll use a spray can for base coats, but after that, I use brushes, washes, and shades.  Taking the time to thin your paints to something just above a wash or shade gives you a nice even thin layer to build up on and it's what I know :)  I've considered an airbrush but I don't feel like spending the money and relearning things.  So I hand paint most things.  Most of my work is either on a Gundam model, where the spray could get into the joints, sometimes not a bad thing if they need tightening but I usually avoid it, or a 28 or 30mm humanoid figure.  Spray hasn't been a great option for me there.  

I actually considered using the averland base coat for the yellow streaks on my raider project but thought it might come out too dark and opted for something else that didn't work either.  I'll have to give it another go when I find the right model.  I already have blue picked out for a shadowcaster, but a YT-1300 mod might see this advice put into practice :)

1 hour ago, Piscopas said:

I use spray primers, but so far I only use black, white and grey.  I know a lot of people do spray basecoats with airbrushes, but I don't have one and not really interested in getting one.  They seem very fiddly.

Are you saying that you go back over the primed model with a colored spray from a can?

Yes that's it.

Once primed.

I use a colour.....for instance, my firespray was primed then over coated in Humbrol Grass green Acrylic spray.

Brown earth on my YT 2400, sand colour on my YV666 and so on.

You could use a bright yellow or blue the same way......and it's a finer finish so the detail stands out more.

Once you have your base colour.

Paint as per normal with your layers.

And the model paint range colour like Humbrol and Tamiya are Matt finish.

So they will take your colour shading and inking easily.

All the best.

Barry.

Hello, friends.  It's been a while.  Life has been nuts, but I'm making an effort to focus back on some of my hobby projects.  These are my last painted minis of 2017, and I look forward to getting back to my fleets in 2018!

Lambda Shuttle:

img_9275.jpgimg_7966.jpg

TIE F/O

img_1360.jpg

img_3218.jpg

TIE Phantom:

img_9606.jpg

img_4610.jpg

The two small ships:

img_2107.jpg

Hope you like them!

Also, I've started a new hobby blog, which you can find at http://piscopas.wordpress.com if you'd like to check it out.

Edited by Piscopas

Hey, everyone!  

It's been a very long time.  X-wing has had to compete with other games the past few months, so I haven't been as motivated to paint my ships...Buuuut, I got the hankering today, so here is Viridian Starfighter Group's latest support vessel, a HWK-290 called Dodonna's Beard.

HWK-290HWK-290

HWK-290

Hey, guys.  

So BCValor contacted me about doing another commission for him, which is what rekindled by desire to paint some Star Wars ships.  Here is his Quicksilver A-wing, inspired by the Quicksilver costume in the Avengers: Age of Ultron.

Quicksilver A-wingQuicksilver A-wing

Edit:  Man these close-ups are brutal, but I'm a fan of how it looks IRL.

Edited by Piscopas

Greetings, gentlebeings!

Inspired by the Shoretrooper armor from Rogue One, I decided to do up a Scarif TIE Striker Squadron.  Finished these guys last night, with two Reaper brethren to follow.  It was a lot of fun doing Imperial stuff in a non-standard paint scheme.  As always, the photos show every mis-stroke of the paint brush, but I'm happy with them in the flesh (plastic?).  Also, I would welcome some help with call signs for these guys.  Let me know what you think!

Strikers

Strikers

StrikersStrikersStrikers

Edited by Piscopas

On 9/8/2018 at 10:03 PM, Piscopas said:

Strikers

Stripe patterns are interesting. Particularly like the ones on the left. The shoulder pads stand out too much for me, though.

On 9/10/2018 at 9:08 AM, CyCo said:

Obviously it has to be Stryper, Stripey, Stripe, and Stripey McStripeFace.

:P

What is this, the marblelympics?

Edited by ObiWonka