Sign in to follow this  
JimbonX

FFG seriously the h*

What is this about? Release of expansions. I don't get it with "expansions must be release at the same day".Today some people manage to get their hands on the vet from a store. The store made a mistake with selling it to early.

I'm unhappy because I had plans on buying vet today but can't because the store realised its misstake and forbids me from buying it out. Seriouslly the h* with releases. Is it in store, just release the package and ignore old selling school "release date".

As someone without a local store I'm very happy with the service Amazon provides. Some morons like to put prices ridiculously high so I wait for a more reasonable price to be offered.

My Lead by Example book was due today but arrived Monday instead. Just one of many satisfying results.

What annoys me are the morons who get an early release, from GenCon usually, and then try to sell it on Amazon. Last one I saw was Ghost Expansion for about £200. What a jerk!

I think his point is if stores have them why can't they just sell them? Its seems treated like a movie or video game release those I understand, if FFG follows that model then they should have a public schedule of release datrs.

It has to do with 'fairness' for lack of a better word.

The distributors send out the stuff a certain day, but due to different freight carriers, geographical concerns, etc. not all stores receive the products at the same time.  To make sure no one store always gets an advantage by being able to sell first, companies use release dates like this.  For many products it doesn't seem like it is necessary though.

For example, I work at a sporting goods store and the last 2 products we carried that had a 'DO NOT SELL OR DISPLAY BEFORE' release date were a Yeti cooler and a Steph Curry basketball shoe.

Fun Fact:  Used to work at book store, if we saw a competitor selling something before the release date, we were instructed to buy it and send a picture of the item and sales receipt to HQ so they could report the violation to the publisher.

What does h* mean?

Computer interfaces
  • In some command line interfaces, such as the Unix shell and Microsoft's CMD, the asterisk is the wildcard character and stands for any string of characters. This is also known as a wildcard symbol. A common use of the wildcard is in searching for files on a computer. For instance, if a user wished to find a document called Document 1, search terms such as Doc* and D*ment* would return this file. Document* would also return any file that begins with Document.

I don't get it. This seems like a new Asmodee thing because as far as I can remember, FFG never used to have release dates but used to let stores sell it when they got it. I've never considered it a big issue because I knew I'd get my ships when they were ready. Maybe it's before others, maybe after. But this was a common conversation for the LCG and the consensus was that FFG would rather get it to players as soon as possible by not setting release dates and just letting stores sell product as they obtained it. I'm surprised to hear that has changed.

It's called brand management and Asmodee no doubt wants to take care of its European customers rather than make them feel like second class.

Then I guess Asmodee North America had better get it's ass in gear!  We wouldn't want our forefathers thinking we're lazy colonials!

edit:  Seriously though my Friendly Local Game Store Owner is trolling me pretty bad.  I also ask him every few minutes for an update...

Edited by Darkcloak

As has already been alluded to...

We have no reason to assume that:

• the entire wave will be sent all at once,
  • the entire wave is going to be on the same boat
  • that all the boats will pull into the same harbor (or even the same country)
  • That the boats will necessarily pull into their respective harbors simultaneously
  • Once unloaded in a country the product will be distributed uniformly.

In order to have a meaningful "release date" the product cannot be released until all (or at least, most) of the stores have the product. 

Obviously the countries that are closest to the manufacturing country will get their product first.  It may be weeks before some of the more distant countries receive the same shipment.  Then the shipment will have to go through the customs, tarriffs will have to be paid, etc.  In some places that'll go quickly, in others not so much.  Then the local supply chain takes it from there - which again, may not be uniformly shipped - some stores use the Post, others use carriers.  Some ship by air, others by land.

The bottom line is that depending on where you are, your store may get its shipment weeks ahead of, or behind others.

So for a release date to have any meaning - the manufacturer sets a date for the product to be "released" - the date will reflect the company's best expectation of having their product in the majority of stores.  That way the majority have access to their product on the same day.

Yes, some stores sell the product before they are supposed to, but that is usually an oversight, as conscientious business owners don't bite the hand that feeds them.

I'm not angry that I didn't get the ships before they were released, rather I am angry that some stores are selling the expansion early.  They seem like clowns to me - no, ... not clowns: game show hosts.

As to:  what is meant by the h*

I expect that is an attempt to say, "What the heck?" in what is hoped to be a cool "gansta" way.