Sign in to follow this  
sf1raptor

Good ways to use the Scyk.

You'll find that the complaints are that there *aren't* any good uses for their cost; this is literally why people are complaining. :(

With that said, Serrisu with a tractor beam makes an interesting PS8 sorta-howlrunner/Biggs craft - two good reasons to get it dead before anyone else, because she not only messes up enemy ships but protects friendly ones to boot, means she'll be a target, and you can exploit that fact.

Scyks are poor because they cost too much; but an ace or a Biggs can justify the discrepancy easily enough, so this I've should be worth a shot.

It's, um, just waiting for a low-to-mid agility small-based meta to shine.

... yeah, you see my problem. :( YMMV.

It's also probably going to be outshined in pretty much every way by the fang fighter.  The fang is a bit more expensive, but looks like it's probably going to be SO much better for the cost...

It looks like the Fang and the Scyk are going to be about the same cost once you factor in the 6 points for a Mangler Cannon on the Scyk.

And for the same price, the fang will have an extra hit point and possibly even a title.

Hence the grumbling over the Scyk.

I run Serrisu in my 3 ship scum list with the following juke, title, mangler, stealth device (thinking about changing to extra hull).

I keep her slightly back to provide some mid game support whilst Talon bane(predator, cloaking device, stygium accelerator) and a contracted scout(33pt torp carrier build) get aggressive, Then late game I use her 1 maneuvers to knife in for some crippling shots on already damaged ships.

She does wonders as opponents either ignore her because 'sycks suck' or gun for her first and due to her set up take too long taking her out leaving talonbane to zoom in and eat them or the contracted scout to torp them under.

HOWEVER It seems how I'd run fenn rau (whenever he comes out) is only 1 point more than my 
Serrisu build and my list has a 1 point initiative bid AND both serve a similar(ish) roll :P

If you want to have some fun and crack swams are a problem why not try

Crack Busters

Tansarii Point Veteran (17)
Attanni Mindlink (1)
Assault Missiles (5)
Guidance Chips (0)
"Heavy Scyk" Interceptor (Missile) (2)

Attanni Mindlink (1)
Assault Missiles (5)
Guidance Chips (0)

Attanni Mindlink (1)
Assault Missiles (5)
Guidance Chips (0)

N'Dru Suhlak (17)
Lone Wolf (2)
Cluster Missiles (4)
Glitterstim (2)
Guidance Chips (0)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

I have been running the following list at the Naboo open and had some great fun flying it (going 3-3).

Guri, Mindlink, Autothrusters

Palob, Mindlink

Tansari Point Veteran, Mindlink, Title, Mangler

Kaa'to Leeachos, Mindlink

You could swap the Veteran for Serrisu with Tractor Beam, but I like the flexibility of havin the whole lost at PS 5. And I also think you need the 3 attack dice on offense. I found the Scyk to be lacking if you want to push damage through and only have a Tractor Beam on. 2 red dice just don't cut it against aces these days.

A friend of mine has a very basic list consisting of 5 Heavy Scyks with Mangler Cannons. He calls it 'the tadpoles of doom'. They die like flies once you get up close, but boy oh boy - they pack a nasty punch at range 3.

A friend of mine has a very basic list consisting of 5 Heavy Scyks with Mangler Cannons. He calls it 'the tadpoles of doom'. They die like flies once you get up close, but boy oh boy - they pack a nasty punch at range 3.

Compare to Alpha Squadron interceptors with autothrusters: Same dice, same HP, same agility.

They both love range 3; scyks for the relative offense advantage, Alpha Squadron for the heavy defense one (autothrusters).

Neither list is terribly competitive, but with that said you could still do worse, too.

Now before I start, I don't want to hear the "Scyks are useless" arguments. I've already heard 'em. I just ordered a Scyk and want real suggestions on some good build. I'm already thinking about a tractor beam spam-alot control ship, but are there any other good builds for the ship?

Two ways to make the Scyk useful:

1.) Play the Top Gun format. A Tansarii Point Veteran with Attanni Mindlink, Heavy Scyk, HPC, and hull upgrade is very strong. This is assuming that you're playing the good version of top gun where you get 3 30 point ships.

2.) A Tansarii Point Veteran with Mindlink, Heavy Scyk, and Mangler Cannon is 24 points. You could run 4 of those, and sub in an HLC, or you could make one Serrisu, or you could make one a Contacted Scout with Mindlink and Feedback Array as a Bumpmaster.

The idea that you'd waste all of these points on one of these stupid things just to waste it on one of the control cannons that's damage capped/does no damage directly astounds me.

Want to know what's an overpriced ship? A 23 point 3 health HLC boat at PS 2. Want to know what's an even less efficient waste of points? A 17 point 3 health ship with tractor beam on it.

I've had a lot of fun with Laetin Ashera with mangler and stealth device. It usually takes a lot to take him down (although he was one-shotted at Yavin). I've won 2 tournaments with him, and in one he never even lost a shield. There are definitely more efficient builds for your 27 points, but it is fun to fly!

You'll find that the complaints are that there *aren't* any good uses for their cost; this is literally why people are complaining. :(

With that said, Serrisu with a tractor beam makes an interesting PS8 sorta-howlrunner/Biggs craft - two good reasons to get it dead before anyone else, because she not only messes up enemy ships but protects friendly ones to boot, means she'll be a target, and you can exploit that fact.

Scyks are poor because they cost too much; but an ace or a Biggs can justify the discrepancy easily enough, so this I've should be worth a shot.

It's, um, just waiting for a low-to-mid agility small-based meta to shine.

... yeah, you see my problem. :( YMMV.

It's also probably going to be outshined in pretty much every way by the fang fighter.  The fang is a bit more expensive, but looks like it's probably going to be SO much better for the cost...

It looks like the Fang and the Scyk are going to be about the same cost once you factor in the 6 points for a Mangler Cannon on the Scyk.
And for the same price, the fang will have an extra hit point and possibly even a title.

Hence the grumbling over the Scyk.

And boost.

The verdict is still out, as we have not yet seen the final point costs, the dial(!) and the other pilots' abilities. But the Fang seems to be really aggressively costed. Look at Fenn Rau, same cost as Talonbane, packs same punch at range 1, at 1 shield less but plus maybe situational evade, however Fenn has probably a lot easier to get there.

Which is a pity cause I like both the Khiraxz and the Scyk, would make me sad if they were "powercrept" out of the game by the Fang.

Still Mangler cannon is pretty brutal against ships with few or no shields.

I think if Laetin had an EPT, you would be seeing him quite a bit.  This is especially true during the days of TLT's.  He could've used PTL and been a Heavy Scyk to good effect.  Not over powered, but pretty good.  If he only had an EPT, he would be so useful.  

When they first came out, there was a local guy that played with Kath Scarlet and 3 Scyks.  He only had points to give two of the Scyks a Mangler cannon and left the other vanilla.  Kath would boost ahead and go for the rear shots while the Scyks would slow roll going 2 forward.  He would try to get you to commit to one or the other.  Once you did, the other force would get you.  Kath used Engine Upgrade and would try to be tricky and go for the Boost past.  The vanilla Scyk was always in the front and would try to block anyone that went for them.  Many people would just fire at the first Scyk and forget it doesn't have the Mangler.  This was a pretty effective strategy and it ripped a lot of opponents apart.  This player dropped out due to family, though, and it hasn't been seen in a while.  

As some other have said, I think Atanni Mindlink will give the Sycks what they need.  I've had a lot of success running lower PS TIE Interceptors because while they can't arc-dodge with the low PS, the 3 red and 3 green dice, coupled with multiple modifiers can make them nasty little ships.

The Syck with mindlink and mangler now can be a 3 red, 3 green ship with potentially a focus and second action each turn.  They certainly aren't the most efficient ship by any means, but I believe they can be competitive.

Another option is to slap crackshot on them.  While a Black Squadron is probably still preferable, a Tansarii has 1 pt of PS and and a shield in place of a hull.

So I've come up with a build that I think could genuinely be competitive.

4x TPV, 4x Mindlink, 4x Heavy Scyk, 2x Proton Rockets, 2x Guidance Chips, 2x HLC.

Maybe?

That looks like it could be fun! Please post after you try it out and let us know how it goes.

I've got a local tournament this weekend where I am going to try out Serissu again for the first time in a while:

Serissu w/ mindlink

Black Sun Ace w/ mindlink, hull upgrade x 2

Black Sun Enforcer

For 100 points. I haven't played with it yet, and I don't expect it to be amazing, but I think it could be pretty strong if flown effectively. It should be fun for a couple games

4x TPV, 4x Mindlink, 4x Heavy Scyk, 2x Proton Rockets, 2x Guidance Chips, 2x HLC.

Maybe?

Might have a hard time with Aces.  Maybe?  It would be neat to see, though.

Personally, I wonder if a good list with Scyks isn't about lots of Scyks.  Scum does great with a variety of ships and crew.  Why not have an odd blend of a list with one or two Scyks in it?  I don't think the Scyk needs to be good in a list with just Scyks to be considered good.  I feel like you could always just throw in one TPV w/ Mindlink and Mangler with a few other things to be decent.  

Attanni Mindlink (1)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Hull Upgrade (3)
"Heavy Scyk" Interceptor (Cannon) (2)

Attanni Mindlink (1)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Hull Upgrade (3)

Kaa'To Leeachos (15)
Attanni Mindlink (1)

Serissu (20)
Attanni Mindlink (1)
Tractor Beam (1)

Total: 100

Probably 6 points overcosted.  (lol)

Maybe?

Might have a hard time with Aces.  Maybe?  It would be neat to see, though.

Personally, I wonder if a good list with Scyks isn't about lots of Scyks.  Scum does great with a variety of ships and crew.  Why not have an odd blend of a list with one or two Scyks in it?  I don't think the Scyk needs to be good in a list with just Scyks to be considered good.  I feel like you could always just throw in one TPV w/ Mindlink and Mangler with a few other things to be decent.

I've often thought the same thing. There are lots of options and synergies with Scum that really seem to be brought out when you take different ships. I think this thematically suits Scum as a faction as they should be a group of ragtags flying whatever they can get their hands on, rather than a faction that has access to mass produced fighters.

You want to know about Scyks?  Are you sure?  Alright then, have a seat.

First thing you oughta know is that the M3-A, that's the technical term, is a bit too expensive to be jousting.  This thing ain't no TIE Fighter and it ain't a Headhunter.  You are gonna want to upgrade it to a Heavy Scyk and you are gonna want to put a nice, shiny gun on it, and that is going to make the little bugger cost as much ore more than a T-65 while still basically being as durable as a TIE fighter.  So like I said, don't fly straight at anything that you aren't guaranteed to kill before it can shoot back.  You have to have something bigger, meaner, and scarier in your list to draw the attention away from your Scyk so it can come in from an angle.

Even if you get the engagement you want every match, eventually you will see your Scyk that probably costs a quarter of your list blown away by one lucky shot when you roll blanks.

Now that we've got that outta the way, lemme suggest a couple a ways you could build a Scyk.

Cartel Spacer

There are two ways I might go with this guy.  First would be to give him an Ion Cannon (19).  This is the cheapest way to Ionize a ship for Scum and as long as you have more threatening things in you list he should be low on your opponent's targeting priority.  The other, bolder, option is to go all in for a Heavy Laser Cannon (23).  This is more expensive and makes him a bigger target which is why I don't do it anymore, but if he is ignored for a few rounds he can easily make back his points.

Tansarii Point Veteran

OK, I have to say this is my favorite pilot so I am going to be biased.  The pilot skill of five is fine, but the access to elite talent upgrades is the real selling point for me.  Predator is solid but a little expensive.  Mindlink is my new go to talent for these guys.  My preferred build is a Mangler Cannon and Attani Mindlink (24).  Obviously you need something else in the list with Mindlink but the action economy actually makes the thing work.  I've read about people taking three or four of these but then you have to joust and I don't like to joust with these "glass cannons."  I am not a fan of HLC because of the cost, 27 points is a lot for such a flimsy ship.  On the flip side adding a Hull Upgrade tends to have them get one more shot off before they die and if you have the points might be worth it in my experience.  A list that has worked for me is this:

Hocus Focus (100)

Gand Findsman: Mindlink, FCS, Mist Hunter, Tractor Beam(29)

Palob Godalhi: Mindlink, TLT(27)

Kaa'to Leeachos: Mindlink, Concussion Missiles, Guidance Chips(20)

Tansarii Point Veteran: Mindlink, Heavy Scyk, Mangler Cannon(24)

It isn't easy to fly, you can only do a red maneuver with one ship per round, but it packs a lot of punch and plays to the Scyk's strengths.  Kaa'to, Palob, and the Findsman can take the joust while the TPV flanks.  If the TPV is targeted he has a Focus and can potentially Barrel Roll out of arcs or take the Evade.  If he is ignored then he can have TL+Focus with a Mangler Cannon and since everyone is PS5 he can shoot last, preferably at a tokenless and shieldless target.

By the by, this list can have 10 actions in a round: Palob takes a Focus(1) and everyone gets a Focus(4), Findsman Evades/Barrel Rolls(5), Kaa'to Target Locks(6), TPV takes an Evade/Barrel Roll/Target Lock(7), at the start of combat Palob steals a token(8), Kaa'to steals a Focus and Mindlink returns it(9) and when the Findsman fires he gets a free Target Lock from FCS(10).'

You could fit in one of these Mindlinked TPVs in a lot of three or four ship lists.  Just remember to have something more threatening than the Scyk for your opponent to worry about.

Laetin A'Shera is a lot less interesting to me because he lacks the ability to take an elite upgrade.  I haven't found a list that I like to put him on the table with but if I were I would give him a Mangler and Stealth Device.  I'm not a big fan of the way his ability works, having to get shot at and having that shot miss to get a token is kind of crummy.

Serissu is in the same boat as Laetin for me but she has a bit more PS and the elite upgrade option going for her.  I could see a case made for Tractor Beam and VI(24) for her to set up better shots for the rest of a list.  Again, I like Mindlink to give her some much needed action economy but you could for go it for another EPT and have Manaroo around to hand her tokens. 

Edited by Burius1981