Sign in to follow this  
JimbonX

FFG Why does Porkins have elitpilotslot and not Dreis?

I still can't get it why Garven Dreis doesn't have a pilotslot but Jek Porkins have. Garven Dreis was the Red Leader for Red Squadron. Jek Porkins was "Red 6 who didn't eject".

It would be nice of FFG, if they released a new special pilotcard of Garven Dreis with a elitslot (and of course 1 or some point extra), in memory of Drewe Henley, who passed away this year.

What do you guys think?

Funny thing, made me laugh; oh, I'm not going to be helpful at all on the actual topic btw. Anywho, I ran Porkins on a beer dare with VI and R2D2 and I thought he'd die before Skywalker or Wedge (old-school pilot dare) but he was the jousting monster!! He lived to the end, made two ace kills and I stress/rolled almost every turn and never took a lick of damage...I still laugh about that; he's "off the chain!"

E5E80523-CA1F-457D-B898-46088C159DC6.png

I still can't get it why Garven Dreis doesn't have a pilotslot but Jek Porkins have. Garven Dreis was the Red Leader for Red Squadron. Jek Porkins was "Red 6 who didn't eject".

It would be nice of FFG, if they released a new special pilotcard of Garven Dreis with a elitslot (and of course 1 or some point extra), in memory of Drewe Henley, who passed away this year.

What do you guys think?

The EU turned Porkins into this amazing pilot who was just unlucky to die like a chump.

I'd say that Garven's ability is far more useful without any additional support than Porkin's is.  Without outside influences Garven is probably spending a Focus token at some point anyway (although maybe he'll TL once in awhile) and giving it to someone else is pure benefit.  Porkins' ability is only something that would natively be used on a K-turn and it also carries a pretty big risk when it is used.  Giving Porkins access to an EPT gives him a lot more opportunities to try and make use of his pilot ability yet still at a risk every time.

Balance-wise, look at the effects Dreis gives you compared to Porkins.  Before any external synergy, Dreis is effectively giving another friendly ship a free focus action in addition to his own focus action that round, at no cost in stress.  To mimic his ability you'd need Squad Leader + Push the Limit/Experimental Interface + Wingman/Kanan Jarrus or Fleet Officer + Wingman/Kanan Jarrus.  That is between 5-8 points and 2-3 upgrade slots, including multiple Elite and/or Crew slots (probably the two strongest slots in the game).  In comparison, Porkins's ability compares to just Wingman or Kanan Jarrus (worth 2-3 points and a single upgrade slot) and he won't get a whole lot of use out of it without other upgrades.

Also Elite slots tend to go to pilots who fly more intuitively, rather than those who are merely very competent and consistent.  For example Horton Salm (the reliable commander), Lieutenant Lorrir (the skilled but predictable side-slipper), and Biggs Darklighter (the loyal friend) do not get Elite slots, but A-Wing Test Pilots (daredevils in experimental craft) and Black Sun Aces (self-taught dogfighters) do.

Balance-wise, look at the effects Dreis gives you compared to Porkins.  Before any external synergy, Dreis is effectively giving another friendly ship a free focus action in addition to his own focus action that round, at no cost in stress.  To mimic his ability you'd need Squad Leader + Push the Limit/Experimental Interface + Wingman/Kanan Jarrus or Fleet Officer + Wingman/Kanan Jarrus.  That is between 5-8 points and 2-3 upgrade slots, including multiple Elite and/or Crew slots (probably the two strongest slots in the game).  In comparison, Porkins's ability compares to just Wingman or Kanan Jarrus (worth 2-3 points and a single upgrade slot) and he won't get a whole lot of use out of it without other upgrades.

How I looked at it as well although you actually pointed out numbers.