Sign in to follow this  
BlueMusketeer28

Top Gun Format

I have heard of this format before and it sounds like a way to play encouraging a few ace fighters, which sounds cool, and good for my group of fairly causal players. Problem is I keep hitting conflicting information on how it is played. As I understand it:

2 ships max

60 pts

4 obstacles each

Is this sounding about right?

I recently ran a Top Gun league at my local club- the format was as follows:

-One small ship, 30pts max

-No named pilots

-No unique upgrades

-No TIE Phantom

-4 obstacles each

-Must include an 80's-style callsign

Ill break this every time. 30 points, Royal guard pilot, hull/AT/PtL. Red thunder. Beats every generic, and no generic will be able to stand toe to toe with it, if they understand interceptors.

-No named pilots

-No unique upgrades

-No TIE Phantom

-4 obstacles each

Ill break this every time. 30 points, Royal guard pilot, hull/AT/PtL. Red thunder. Beats every generic, and no generic will be able to stand toe to toe with it, if they understand interceptors.
X7 Delta equipped with TIE mkII's infinite k's and free evades thinks it can't get off the boat fast enough.

Yea, I like the 40 or free for all. I use that to teach new players the game and keep it simple. I always make another optimal ships on the side that the first person to die Must trade with, incase they find out the ship they made isn't the kind of play style they like.

Edited by CheapCreep

So for teams is it 60 point teams or 60 points for 2ships per player, so there are 4 ships per side?

The point of the movie was 2 planes, one main one wingman that together bag and tag single targets as long as possible. Therefore the teams should exist as 2 ships with either 1 pilot only or for trainng purposes you could give each pilot a navigator for fun

We played 30pt single ships when we played at our club. The only thing that was a pain was Ion weapons as once you are caught you are in trouble. It was a lot of fun though. Next week we should be trying the two players a side single ship version at the club at work (yes, out work social society includes a monthly X-Wing club. I am that lucky).

The 30 point version is not fun.

I just tried the 30 point version using the following:

- Royal Guard Tie Interceptor with Push The Limit, Stealth device, Autothrusters, and the Royal Guard title 

- Green Squadron A-Wing with Push The Limit, Auothrusters, Predator, Proton Rockets, and the A-Wing Test Pilot title.

I found it to be a really fast paced and exciting game! I can see myself playing this version more often.  :D

We played 30pt single ships when we played at our club. The only thing that was a pain was Ion weapons as once you are caught you are in trouble. It was a lot of fun though. Next week we should be trying the two players a side single ship version at the club at work (yes, out work social society includes a monthly X-Wing club. I am that lucky).

are you hiring?

I've done a bunch of the 30pt game MalusCalibur described and it's a ton of fun. There are certainly some cards or combos that can ruin the fun, but it's a great way to play with a bunch of ships. Matches go really quick, so you can fit a lot of them in an evening.

Edited by Cael

Here is a variation I like that tries to copy the movie.

*All ships on a team must be the same type, for example all Y-Wings vs all Kihraxz.

*2 ships max 30points each (or 3 ships 20 points max each if you want to make it fair for ties and Zs)

*No unique pilots or upgrades

If you have enough players they each get one ship and you fly as teams, if not one player controls both (or all 3) ships on a side. Also some optional variations are that all ships may take an EPT even if they could not normally do so and unique astro/agromechs are allowed since there are a lot of good generic crew and systems but few astros.

For extra fun you can make up house rules for "never leaving your wingman" like once per round when in range 1 of a friendly ship you may convert one blank to a focus result.

-No named pilots

-No unique upgrades

-No TIE Phantom

-4 obstacles each

And I broke your very same interceptor with my TaP, baron, PTL, Title, AT, Homing Missiles.

Fastest match I had all tournament - 15 minutes into a 60 minute round :) -against a very competent pilot 

-No named pilots

-No unique upgrades

-No TIE Phantom

-4 obstacles each

Which is because this rule set is missing two rules:

1) Any pilot of PS3 or higher may purchase an EPT slot for 1 pt if they do not already have an EPT slot.

2) Any pilot can spend 2pts to increase their PS by 1. This PS increase may be purchased multiple times.

-No named pilots

-No unique upgrades

-No TIE Phantom

-4 obstacles each

Interceptors were strong contenders in the league, for sure, but certainly didn't 'beat every generic' with such ease. They're still fragile and dice are still dice. Besides, there was a minor bonus given for being the only person using any given ship, so there was incentive for diversity.

The 30 point version is not fun.

The sixteen people who participated, mysefl included, would disagree with you there. They made for fast, intense and incredibly enjoyable games. Limiting it to 30pts keeps the TLT+Tactician combo out, which in a 1v1 setting I didn't feel would be much fun - ditto for the TIE Phantom.

-No named pilots

-No unique upgrades

-No TIE Phantom

-4 obstacles each

And then you remember about the PS6 Royal guards and it all goes down to hell v_v