Sign in to follow this  
ForceSensitive

Apologies, Thanks, And Farewell

Today was a good day.

Today I played my last game. Last five actually. Nationals at Origins day two preliminaries. Played my favorite character, played my favorite ships. Got to play against some good players, and win my three games to make the cut. Well, until I conceded my last game and gave it back to the other guy. I was sad because none of my games that day had been fun. Sure, they were polite and cordial. But it wasn't until my last game that I had honest fun playing with a cool guy and it felt like every move mattered. So when time was called, and the points were going my way, I planned my last move of the game: I called a judge and asked on the legality and sportsmanship of conceding after victory conditions are met. Funnily enough it's a question that requires the Head Judges attention. The answer is yes, by the way. So I wave my wing tips, and quit the field sending, let's call him Commander Cody, to day two to play alongside his friends in what I hope will be a great battle.

Now for all of you. I owe you a few apologies. Sometimes I've been rude, crass, counter-productive, or just a general a**. And I'm sorry. Suffice to say that the Internet's anonymity combined with a open platform to say your mind can be a recipe for absolute dickery. To anyone I've ever offended, in any way, I'm sorry, and I apologize, I was in the wrong.

I also owe you all alot of thankyous. You've all been a source of of laughter and mental stimulation. A group of guys that can talk anytime of day about this one game. And an invaluable source of info, news, and stories. Thanks to all the users I've been in interactions with. You guys are great. Most of you any way! (LOL! Come on, one last jab between buds)

So now it comes to this. It's time to say so long, see you in the next game. I decided a long time ago this event would be my last, and I'm sticking to that decision. I really don't want this to be about the whys of that decision, I just wanted to say so long to all you guys and joke around one last time.

A few things before I go.

1. Even though it rarely gets you anywhere, fight against the ones you believe to be wrong. BUT! ALWAYS, ALWAYS, always, ask yourself if your considering their argument, or just reading it in preparation to respond.

2. Innovate. It's very easy to follow the crowd on a forum like this. Often because the crowd's right. But not always. So challenge them. You'll never know unless you make an effort.

3. Fly casual. Be *excellent* to one another. I know that's hard but it's important.

Okay, that about covers it. I apologize, thank-you, and so long. I'll be around in this forum until this thread fades below the line. And I'll still meander through the Armada and Assault forums. Peace! And most importantly, May The Force Be With You!

And even though some ding bat is going to ask anyway, no, I'm not selling my stuff.

Today was a good day.

Today I played my last game. Last five actually. Nationals at Origins day two preliminaries. Played my favorite character, played my favorite ships. Got to play against some good players, and win my three games to make the cut. Well, until I conceded my last game and gave it back to the other guy. I was sad because none of my games that day had been fun. Sure, they were polite and cordial. But it wasn't until my last game that I had honest fun playing with a cool guy and it felt like every move mattered. So when time was called, and the points were going my way, I planned my last move of the game: I called a judge and asked on the legality and sportsmanship of conceding after victory conditions are met. Funnily enough it's a question that requires the Head Judges attention. The answer is yes, by the way. So I wave my wing tips, and quit the field sending, let's call him Commander Cody, to day two to play alongside his friends in what I hope will be a great battle.

Now for all of you. I owe you a few apologies. Sometimes I've been rude, crass, counter-productive, or just a general a**. And I'm sorry. Suffice to say that the Internet's anonymity combined with a open platform to say your mind can be a recipe for absolute dickery. To anyone I've ever offended, in any way, I'm sorry, and I apologize, I was in the wrong.

I also owe you all alot of thankyous. You've all been a source of of laughter and mental stimulation. A group of guys that can talk anytime of day about this one game. And an invaluable source of info, news, and stories. Thanks to all the users I've been in interactions with. You guys are great. Most of you any way! (LOL! Come on, one last jab between buds)

So now it comes to this. It's time to say so long, see you in the next game. I decided a long time ago this event would be my last, and I'm sticking to that decision. I really don't want this to be about the whys of that decision, I just wanted to say so long to all you guys and joke around one last time.

1. Even though it rarely gets you anywhere, fight against the ones you believe to be wrong. BUT! ALWAYS, ALWAYS, always, ask yourself if your considering their argument, or just reading it in preparation to respond.

2. Innovate. It's very easy to follow the crowd on a forum like this. Often because the crowd's right. But not always. So challenge them. You'll never know unless you make an effort.

3. Fly casual. Be *excellent* to one another. I know that's hard but it's important.

Okay, that about covers it. I apologize, thank-you, and so long. I'll be around in this forum until this thread fades below the line. And I'll still meander through the Armada and Assault forums. Peace! And most importantly, May The Force Be With You!

And even though some ding bat is going to ask anyway, no, I'm not selling my stuff.

What made the games Unfun if I may. Not to start a flame war or bring up the possible "U-Boats are too easy and OP" problems but what made the games Unfun?

Why would you stop doing something you enjoy?

That was the key thing, he DIDNT enjoy most of his games. Somthing happened that caused him to NOT enjoy those 3 games enough that he was willing to concede the 4th, a noble gesture I might add, and decide to stop playing at events. Im curious as to WHAT caused him to have Unfun games. Not to start a flame war on the forums but with all the talk lately I have a feeling that he likely ran into three seperate U-Boat lists. Regardless of the Skill/Cost of the Jumpmaster I think most would agree that that build just isnt FUN to play against. And when you run into three of them in a row, and likely see many others running them it depresses you knowing there are a LOT of other builds that could be seeing play.

( ________ ) Looks like he's flat lined.

Everyone has had or been wrong before. Thought they went to far defending what they thought was right or snapped at someone using rules to their advantage. It's all a part of learning. Playing in the big tournaments is a former of narcissism to begin with. Yeah I know that some people just thrive on the competition, but it is a fine line and maybe you found yourself crossing over that line. Get back to playing at the local store... Take some time off...

Whatever works for you... Enjoy life and take a look at why you got into this to begin with. Best of luck and hope to see you back someday.

Have a good one!  Enjoy your other games.  I wouldn't be me if I didn't suggest playing some Casual games that weren't about the meta.  It's the same game, but utterly different.  Pull out all those ships you have never seen on the table.  Can anyone name all the middle PS Tie Interceptor pilots without looking?  I can't.  

There are other ways to play the game than at tournaments.  :)

Have a good one!  Enjoy your other games.  I wouldn't be me if I didn't suggest playing some Casual games that weren't about the meta.  It's the same game, but utterly different.  Pull out all those ships you have never seen on the table.  Can anyone name all the middle PS Tie Interceptor pilots without looking?  I can't.  

There are other ways to play the game than at tournaments.  :)

(Thinks)

...Turr Phennir, Tetran Cowall, Lt. Lorrir, Fel's Wrath, Royal Guard Pilot, and Saber Squadron Pilot is what I've got.

@ForceSensitive: always hard to see a long-time player and poster go. Hope you replace your X-wing time with something else you can genuinely enjoy.

I don't know you. Whatever you did happened while I have been away. I haven't touched an xwing since 2015. I will play my first game of 2016 tomorrow night, and I think it's going to be fun.

I don't play competitively, but I do get to play with folks who do from time to time. I burned out, but six months later I'm curious again. I don't own any jump masters but I guess I should look into getting one.

Anyway, I hope some time away will be healthy. Have fun with whatever. I am sure the game, and this board, and many of these people will be waiting right here if you decide to come back.

It wasn't a decision that I made just today off the spur of the moment. Several of you have seen posts by me in the past months stating this would be it. And to be fair to the Jumpmasters, I only saw two actual JMs in all my five matches. There's been a long dry spell of me having fun in this game. I went (falcon+wedge)win-(2xJM+slaver)loss-(scum good stuff)loss-(crack swarm+OL)win-(Dash+Chopper)win, with a revision to my fifth game to make it a loss by concession. Now walking around between matches I can tell you by round three today there was only ONE JM on the bottom ten tables, and in round three that guy was playing his third game EVER by the way, so welcome him if he comes to the forums please. At the same time, The top twenty tables had at least one JM and averaged three between both players by my quick count.

This decision has been a long time coming, since early wave five really, if not four. And thank you for your suggestions, but I have already taken a break and come back. There's a time for these things and mine has come. It's bittersweet. But it feels right. And I can already feel my stress level dropping ha-ha!

And that will be the absolute last time I'm going to comment on the reasons. Bad enough I said that much LOL.

Indeed.  best of luck. 

There are other ways to play the game than at tournaments.   :)

(Thinks)

...Turr Phennir, Tetran Cowall, Lt. Lorrir, Fel's Wrath, Royal Guard Pilot, and Saber Squadron Pilot is what I've got.

@ForceSensitive: always hard to see a long-time player and poster go. Hope you replace your X-wing time with something else you can genuinely enjoy.

You missed Kir Kanos!

Today was a good day.

I would not be so crass as to ask to buy your stuff.

/waves hand

Give your stuff to me.

/waves hand.

That should do it.

I await your package with keen anticipation.

Today was a good day.

Oh great another hothie style retirement post. Idk why people think they have to do these long farewell swan song posts. Most likely you'll be back, even hothie "retired" and came back. If people really quit it's just better to quietly move on. So farewell person I don't know who I won't care is gone and will quickly forget about.