Sign in to follow this  
IG88E

Top "bad loser" moments of your opponent

I never had a bad loser experience and I have never been one myself.  I will say though that I got caught on a dual YV-666 turret fortress with Nera and Horton, on the edge of the map and neither could shoot or clear the bundle and obviously he chose to continue bumping indefinitely as the 2nd YV-666 could continue firing at both ships.  So I just sat there with no shots slowly dying with no options.  I kept it together though, he made the right play to win, the game rules are just super stupid when it comes to fortressing.  There should be a mechanism that requires you to break out of the jumble if it is an option.  IE if you bump a 2nd time and a maneuver could have cleared the fortress then your opponent gets to select a maneuver for you and execute it.  Similar to choosing a red with a stress assigned. 

These guys seem to be talking about bumps that the opponent can't clear?

Not the one above. The two YVs bump in a corner and with the 180 arc can shoot all day without moving, making it impossible to stay out of their arc. 

TBH, I'd just not fly at him and take the draw, if that how he want's to fly.

I've flown (haha) a dual YV fortress and it's absurdly easy to beat if you know what you are doing. TLT's, Jumps, aces & swarms. It only works on new players and fools. 

I never had a bad loser experience and I have never been one myself.  I will say though that I got caught on a dual YV-666 turret fortress with Nera and Horton, on the edge of the map and neither could shoot or clear the bundle and obviously he chose to continue bumping indefinitely as the 2nd YV-666 could continue firing at both ships.  So I just sat there with no shots slowly dying with no options.  I kept it together though, he made the right play to win, the game rules are just super stupid when it comes to fortressing.  There should be a mechanism that requires you to break out of the jumble if it is an option.  IE if you bump a 2nd time and a maneuver could have cleared the fortress then your opponent gets to select a maneuver for you and execute it.  Similar to choosing a red with a stress assigned. 

These guys seem to be talking about bumps that the opponent can't clear?

Not the one above. The two YVs bump in a corner and with the 180 arc can shoot all day without moving, making it impossible to stay out of their arc. 

TBH, I'd just not fly at him and take the draw, if that how he want's to fly.

Or you approach with your squad in formation, behind one of them, and get to focus 1 ship down, while he only returns fire with a single ship. You need TLT Ys for this to really work, and even they are better off moving rather than fortressing.

I don't understand when there could be a situation where it's impossible for you to pass the ship that's bumping you - can somebody give an example?

There's a video of a game on Youtube that shows two large based ships near the board edge. One ship is angled such that only a hard left turn will allow him to clear the board edge with his base and not be off the board. The other ship is in contact with the first ship's base at an angle. The angle prevents the first ship from selecting a maneuver that will clear the second ship's base and not go off the board. The send shipkept the first pinned until reinforcements showed up.

Edited by Stoneface

I don't understand when there could be a situation where it's impossible for you to pass the ship that's bumping you - can somebody give an example?

I had an instance once where my IG-88 rammed a Jumpmaster and we were both close to the edge of the board.  The Jumpmaster was angled so that any bank move would carry it over the edge.  A hard turn 3 would allow it to jump over my IG-88, but the Jumpmaster does not have a hard 3, so it was effectively stuck, unable to move, do actions or use its remaining ordnance.

Meanwhile, my IG-88 had advanced sensors (so no lost action), only 1 hull remaining and an angle of attack on the opponent's second jumpmaster, so it stayed there, doing advanced sensor focus and forward 1 for several turns while its companion IG-88 and it focused fire on the rest of the enemy fleet.

This kind of scenario rarely happens, but large bases are treacherous.

its not that its impossible, its that its intentional.

Two large ships with a 1speed forward face each other and reveal 1speed forwards. They will never move. Lose their action but its primarily a stall so they force you to approach them.

Its obviously a mechanic abuse since it makes no sense that its possible without damage lol. Someone tried it at my flgs and the owner walked up and told him to not do that in his store because its a d*ck move and unsportsmanlike to abuse obvious rule oversights.

I would tell that store owner to have a nice day and not come back.

Seriously, where does he get off interrupting someone's game like that?  I hope the situation played out a bit more respectfully than what you write of it because barring major social misconduct there is no reason why any game store owner should take it upon themselves to intercede on anyone's gameplay. 

So now that player had to go home shamefaced, because someone with an axe to grind made them look bad and embarrassed them in front of the entire shop.  That is disgusting.

It doesn't matter what the game mechanic is, shaming people for using it is disgusting.  PWTs, bumping, Jumpmasters.  It's part of the game.

Edited by Darkcloak

Well I may as well chime in

Use to go to a store locally where we finally had an xwing group going. The store owner was very enthusiastic about getting a xwing night going. It was a hit right away.

I noticed though that the store owner mood would turn south pretty quick if he started losing. I remember one time he was winning, I was down a ship, and Han flew onto a rock and right away he said "well that's game" and I could tell he seemed annoyed. Trying to help his confidence I pointed out that he was still winning, so the game wasn't "over" I also seen him do it during tournaments, and which he said nobody told him he couldn't shoot, but I've pointed out to him on numerous occasions.

Then one day he just said he wasn't going to get anymore kits in. Nor was he going to order anything from ffg again. Long story short he didn't want to do the paper work to order stuff, unless we pre ordered I told him I'd have gladly done all that if that's what was needed. Sadly enough I stopped going and so did others, but then we found out that he was still having tournament, and gettin in ffg stock.

My cousin emailed him and was sent back a lengthy reply that basically read we were too good.

Then there was a fiasco with the armada pre release tournament. He got the kit and my cousin was really excited as he had everything for armada, and was really looking forward to an armada tournament, which the store owner then posted on his Facebook that he was going to pre make the squads. Well we were not impressed lol.

After spending hundreds of dollars and increasing his sales (wave 6 he got 14 of everything and was sold out in a day) we were treated pretty badly. I couldn't believe how someone could treat a customer like that.

Anyway, needless to say I don't believe he's in business anymore

My worst sore losing moment was actually one of my very first tournament games. I managed by sheer lack of piloting skill to place my Blue Squadron B-Wing in front of my opponents Soontir Fel on two hull. I weathered a round of fire and then started a bump train with the B-wing doing slow one speed maneuvers preventing Soontir from getting in front of me.

The more this goes on the angrier my opponent gets, he tells me to "Stop doing that" and "Don't be an ***hole" and eventually the inevitable "You're stalling" accusation started to be hurled. I had a plan which was to bump him down to the corner of the table do a two koigran turn when there was just enough room left to do so and then force him to break away hard and come in behind him. He calls a TO over and calls me out for stalling, I explain my intended tactic to the TO and he allows play to continue. Eventually I do the 2k, he breaks off and I manage to land a perfect naked dice roll which he blanks out on. It's sad that I actually felt good beating him after the abuse he gave me, I tried to explain to him that I wasn't deliberately being an ***hole and that I had a plan but surprisingly he didn't want to hear about it and just stormed off.

Luckily for our local group he stopped playing a short while after this incident.

its comical how badly people flip out over bumper strats.

makes sense

because if there's ONE **** THING people forget about this game, it's the fact that blocking exists

In casual play, the rule is often seen as a way to rectify a mistake - indeed, it even prevents you from shooting or taking actions to take advantage of it, so it must be bad!

In competitive play, it's a key offensive manoeuvre, and one that is frankly terrifying to the Aces player. I can sympathise with it being frustrating, but you should learn in a big **** hurry that it's something to avoid, not complain about. But hey, that's why we're in the 'sore losers' thread, eh? ;)

I can't remember having any "bad loser" moments in any of the games I've played to be honest; there are a couple of tournament matches which have gone brutally quick - as in, over in 15-20 minutes - but even then it's been a case of "well played" or "that's the way the game can go" rather than blaming the dice, cursing luck etc.

My first game of my first X-wing tournament was over so fast that my opponent asked if I wanted to set up and just play another game. I think we switched up the lists a bit but it wasn't going so hot the second game either! :-)

My worst sore losing moment was actually one of my very first tournament games. I managed by sheer lack of piloting skill to place my Blue Squadron B-Wing in front of my opponents Soontir Fel on two hull. I weathered a round of fire and then started a bump train with the B-wing doing slow one speed maneuvers preventing Soontir from getting in front of me.

The more this goes on the angrier my opponent gets, he tells me to "Stop doing that" and "Don't be an ***hole" and eventually the inevitable "You're stalling" accusation started to be hurled. I had a plan which was to bump him down to the corner of the table do a two koigran turn when there was just enough room left to do so and then force him to break away hard and come in behind him. He calls a TO over and calls me out for stalling, I explain my intended tactic to the TO and he allows play to continue. Eventually I do the 2k, he breaks off and I manage to land a perfect naked dice roll which he blanks out on. It's sad that I actually felt good beating him after the abuse he gave me, I tried to explain to him that I wasn't deliberately being an ***hole and that I had a plan but surprisingly he didn't want to hear about it and just stormed off.

Luckily for our local group he stopped playing a short while after this incident.

What I don't understand is why, once it started to become apparent you had a plan, your opponent didn't break off and fly away.  A hard turn should have cleared your B-Wing.  Then go 5 straight + boost/BR.  He should have easily gotten out of range for a turn or two, and forced you to come back and re-engage in a joust where he can arc-dodge. 

I think your opponent was the fulfilling that old cliched definition of stupidity: "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome."

What I don't understand is why, once it started to become apparent you had a plan, your opponent didn't break off and fly away.  A hard turn should have cleared your B-Wing.  Then go 5 straight + boost/BR.  He should have easily gotten out of range for a turn or two, and forced you to come back and re-engage in a joust where he can arc-dodge. 

I think your opponent was the fulfilling that old cliched definition of stupidity: "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome."

You're right, my opponent could at any time have just pulled away with a tight one shed his ptl stress the next turn and then come back at me, but he just.....didn't. He kept doing two straights or banks and I luckily predicted when he might try and pull away and blocked him. When people get upset or frustrated rational thinking is often the first thing that goes out the window, we were coming to time on the round as well and I guess he just got fixated on the kill.

You're right, my opponent could at any time have just pulled away with a tight one shed his ptl stress the next turn and then come back at me, but he just.....didn't. He kept doing two straights or banks and I luckily predicted when he might try and pull away and blocked him. When people get upset or frustrated rational thinking is often the first thing that goes out the window, we were coming to time on the round as well and I guess he just got fixated on the kill.

Ah, that answers my question - I was trying to work out why he had to keep bumping you, but he didn't!

I was the one that almost had a bad loser moment when I was having a really bad string of luck at a store tournament; just couldn't accomplish anything with my duel IG-88's (which I'm normally pretty good with). Third game in, I lose 88 B, and C gets the burning cockpit crit, can't remember the name of it, the one that makes you slowly burn. My opponent hadn't lost a single ship yet.  I realized I was abut to turn into 'that guy' who gets mad at little plastic ships, so I decided to flip it around. I purposefully let that crit go without trying to flip it over. I made my opponent chase me while 88 slowly burned to death. I was all, "You'll never take me alive!!". Still took 4 more rounds for me to die. It actually made things better for both of us. 

You know, if we want to talk about bad loser moments I'll cite another one although one again it is a different game system.

Playing the DDM release tournament for Unhallowed.  This was my first tournament I ever played in.  It's more than two hours away.  AND it was FREEZING COLD (as in -17 or so) that weekend.  While the tournament went pretty well and I ended the day at 5-2 losing to the 7-0 in the last round and a 6-1 it's always fun to read reports after the event.  Where's the poor loser come in?  One report I read I immediately recognized the game someone was talking about.  Instead of blaming a poor strategic play on his part, which he telegraphed long before it happened by spending 5 minutes planning move, he went and blamed his opponent's (me!!!) tactic of trying overwhelm his senses with BO and stuff to that effect.  Ok, maybe I didn't want to leave my winter coat and stuff laying around in an unfamiliar environment but that sure screams sore loser to me.

I was the one that almost had a bad loser moment when I was having a really bad string of luck at a store tournament; just couldn't accomplish anything with my duel IG-88's (which I'm normally pretty good with). Third game in, I lose 88 B, and C gets the burning cockpit crit, can't remember the name of it, the one that makes you slowly burn. My opponent hadn't lost a single ship yet.  I realized I was abut to turn into 'that guy' who gets mad at little plastic ships, so I decided to flip it around. I purposefully let that crit go without trying to flip it over. I made my opponent chase me while 88 slowly burned to death. I was all, "You'll never take me alive!!". Still took 4 more rounds for me to die. It actually made things better for both of us. 

ah the joys of Console fire

had that slapped on my then four-hull r3-a2 Stress Y, and my opponent and I had the joyous experience of watching it roast to death over the course of 6 rounds

didn't even try to turn it back around into the fight

the image of the pilot frantically slapping at the flames (doing 1-fowards in a vain effort to clear enough stress to do an action) as they slowly consumed the ship was way too good to pass up

Edited by ficklegreendice

the "best losers" are the ones that shafted themselves.

Had Juno do a boost/barrelroll to get range1 arc on my ywing with ion turret right on the edge of the map. She technically would be fine as Juno can do 1hards so she wouldnt go off the board....except since she had no tokens my ion went through and picked off 1 shield. She still had 1 shield and full hull......and flew off the map thanks to ion. Won the game because of that and he was INSANELY sour at me doing that. I just reminded him "gotta remember what i can do before you do stuff like that man...." - he was just ASKING for an ion being 1" from the board edge lol

I actually havnt seen him since....

the "best losers" are the ones that shafted themselves.

Had Juno do a boost/barrelroll to get range1 arc on my ywing with ion turret right on the edge of the map. She technically would be fine as Juno can do 1hards so she wouldnt go off the board....except since she had no tokens my ion went through and picked off 1 shield. She still had 1 shield and full hull......and flew off the map thanks to ion. Won the game because of that and he was INSANELY sour at me doing that. I just reminded him "gotta remember what i can do before you do stuff like that man...." - he was just ASKING for an ion being 1" from the board edge lol

I actually havnt seen him since....

Maybe it's because I don't do competitive gaming but I can't see any reason to get bent out of shape at someone that beats you. If they're not being a jackhole about it just take a deep breath and relax. You were either outplayed or you beat yourself, doesn't matter which you still lost. Get over it.

I haven't experienced any sore loser moments but lots of sore winner moments. The most memorable was when I had 45 minutes of the worst luck with the dice ever and at the end of my opponent, who went onto a tournament record of 1-3, exclaimed laughing, "That was the best game I ever played!"

I found out later it was the only game he had ever won. Ever.

Once I lost my focus token on a stupidly busy mat, and forgot to spend it at an opportune time. I saw it during the end of round cleanup step. I was so ticked, I threw it on the ground! That was probably worst I've done.

Oh and there was that kid I beat who started to cry. I felt so bad. To his credit, he didn't even look phased until his last ship was off the board. We talked a lot after the match, and I hope I was able to make him feel better.

So i ran an oldschool TIE swarm today at a local tourney. 4 academies 4 black squads, 100pts on the nose no upgrades.

Ran against a guy with Dengar and 4 Z95 shmucks. I cant say he was unsportsmanlike since he still played the game all the way through and shook hands afterwords, but **** did he flip out over his dice.

I expected one of his Z's to block me since he had init, so i snailed forward and blew it up early on while Dengar was at range3. Another Z nearby lost his shields, i took 1 damage. Now that the block was out of the way, i zoomed one of my academies up and blocked Dengar while the rest of my ships followed suit, 6 of which were able to get their action and focus'd. Dengar lost his shields this round, another Z died and yet another lost his shields (arcs are a pain..). Dengar couldnt clear the ties, so he bumped again the next round and blew up handily lol. 

He only "killed" an academy and a black squad out of all my ships. So many of my ships were at 1hp and just would NOT die (primarily dengar retaliation attack). I say "killed" because technically i killed myself, they had bump = damage crits and 1 hp lol so 2-3 turns later they bumped and went boom.

Apparently he was raging just as bad in the last game according to my friend he was facing, even though he actually WON that one. Out of the 3 games we all played, the only one he didnt flip out on was the one that was so neck n neck it literally came down to 1 die roll and he wiff'd that one too lol.

I don't understand why people would get angry at others for their mistakes. I don't get it. You miss a trigger or point towards the board edge when ion capable ships are around or whatever, it's your fault. I'm not going to play the game for you and inform you of what I'm doing ahead of time.

I don't understand the anger around dice either. People sigh when they roll 4 attack dice and "only" get 2 hits, people roll unmodified dice and except them to do anything significant.

What people should be angry about are near certainties that strip variance from the game. I'm not talking Accuracy Corrector, I'm talking Palp Aces invincible ship BS. I'd rather have a series of max hit shots get blocked by lucky green dice spikes, than face a Palp Aces player that turns focus blank blank into 4 evade results. In the first scenario, you can just shrug and say, "well, sometimes the dice are like that." In the second scenario you're just doomed no matter what.