Sign in to follow this  
IG88E

Top "bad loser" moments of your opponent

My worst example (or best example?) came last spring, with the store employee hosting a casual tourney, who was also the TO of the tourney, who was also in the tourney. He was running Fel, something else, and a Lambda with Vader and Gunner. His opponent -- who was in his first tournament -- had a really not optimized Fat Chewie (it was still bloated and point-heavy, but not the usual Threepio build, had Han as crew), and like one X-Wing (Luke?) without many frills. He was just a new guy, flying a fluffy Chewie/Han/Luke list, trying to play Star Wars, y'know?

At some point he Han-spent a target lock to get some damage through on Soontir Fel, and the guy just freaked out. The store employee had a fit, threw his dice across the room, and ranted about how Rebel cheese was unstoppable, the Empire couldn't possibly win, turrets are breaking the game, and on and on. Everyone stopped playing to try and calm him down (and I tried to remind him "as the representative of the store today, your job is to help customers have fun...do you think you're helping this guy have fun right now?"), and then time ran out of the round (because yeah, he'd still had the clock going during his tantrum). He was the only one there flying any sort of auto-damage stuff, plus Fel's usual auto-whatever shenanigans; but to him, the turret was game-breaking, Han as crew was too strong, etc, etc.

It was really sad.

What did the store employee do wrong here? Don't turret players deserve to have a negative play experience as revenge for the negative play experience of having to play against a turret?

I think we found where ParaGoombaSlayer *Used* to work.

Edited by FlyingAnchors

Storechampionship last year:

A table next to me someone got so upset that he took his y-wing and literally bit it in two. I have never seen something like that before. It's the moment where you want to die laughing but you know the "heat phase" of the guy is not over so better be quiet.

Must have had a reading problem. It says Horton Salm, not Horseradish Salami. Or was it dutch oven von desert?

My worst sore losing moment was actually one of my very first tournament games. I managed by sheer lack of piloting skill to place my Blue Squadron B-Wing in front of my opponents Soontir Fel on two hull. I weathered a round of fire and then started a bump train with the B-wing doing slow one speed maneuvers preventing Soontir from getting in front of me.

The more this goes on the angrier my opponent gets, he tells me to "Stop doing that" and "Don't be an ***hole" and eventually the inevitable "You're stalling" accusation started to be hurled. I had a plan which was to bump him down to the corner of the table do a two koigran turn when there was just enough room left to do so and then force him to break away hard and come in behind him. He calls a TO over and calls me out for stalling, I explain my intended tactic to the TO and he allows play to continue. Eventually I do the 2k, he breaks off and I manage to land a perfect naked dice roll which he blanks out on. It's sad that I actually felt good beating him after the abuse he gave me, I tried to explain to him that I wasn't deliberately being an ***hole and that I had a plan but surprisingly he didn't want to hear about it and just stormed off.

Luckily for our local group he stopped playing a short while after this incident.

Edited by Thunderchild

My worst sore losing moment was actually one of my very first tournament games. I managed by sheer lack of piloting skill to place my Blue Squadron B-Wing in front of my opponents Soontir Fel on two hull. I weathered a round of fire and then started a bump train with the B-wing doing slow one speed maneuvers preventing Soontir from getting in front of me.

The more this goes on the angrier my opponent gets, he tells me to "Stop doing that" and "Don't be an ***hole" and eventually the inevitable "You're stalling" accusation started to be hurled. I had a plan which was to bump him down to the corner of the table do a two koigran turn when there was just enough room left to do so and then force him to break away hard and come in behind him. He calls a TO over and calls me out for stalling, I explain my intended tactic to the TO and he allows play to continue. Eventually I do the 2k, he breaks off and I manage to land a perfect naked dice roll which he blanks out on. It's sad that I actually felt good beating him after the abuse he gave me, I tried to explain to him that I wasn't deliberately being an ***hole and that I had a plan but surprisingly he didn't want to hear about it and just stormed off.

Luckily for our local group he stopped playing a short while after this incident.

I think your oponent was legit retard.

Even his stalling accusation did't make much sense. You didn't delay your decisions in game - you just flew carefully trying not to lose points.

Btw it is great thread idea, I laughed so hard at some of the stories - it is truly amazing what game of plastic ships can do to people - and, mind you, I was mad in my X-Wing games too.

Had a opponent that was playing well we were fiairly even and jousting with scum vs rebels, until the dice turned on him and he started to get a little frustrated so rather than play on he just intenshionally flew off the map. Disappointed at the out come as he still had a chance to win, he gave up.

What a loser attitude

Reading some of these reminds me as to why I'm not a people person

I don't mind people, but I hate stupid people, and grown men who cry, or feel like they need to act like 5 year old.

Nothng wrong with grown men cryin per se...but very much so over losing a board game!

I really don't get this attitude. When I play, I play to learn and do my best. Losses are usually worth a lot more to me, because they can teach me about my mistakes. I never have the impulse to go into a bad mood for losing, I'm more of a "You just blocked my Bossk off the board? Dude, thats amazing!"-guy.

its comical how badly people flip out over bumper strats. Since thats one of my preferred strats i tend to find such people alot lol.

I brought a Decimator once with Expert Handling (Chiraneau) and it royally pissed off a Scum player running Boba and one of the IG-88s (forget which i just call them all cockroaches).

He got behind my decimator, so i just kept doing green banks and barrelrolling right back into his face while Vader danced on the side peppering some free damage. Both his large ships could NOT avoid hitting Chiraneau unless he wanted to hit a rock. Since i went first the entire game was basically him + vader vs Boba with a bug between us lol. After about 5 turns of this (btw this went on for at least 10) he finally snapped and went "F*CKING BARRELROLL!! STOP THAT!!" lol. Finally killed Boba since he was rolling green dice like crazy so i broke away from the bug and took him out shortly after due to the arc-dodgyness of Vader and turreted decimator. Funniest thing was i didnt even intend this to happen...i legit HAD to barrelroll all those turns or i risked going off the board or hitting a rock and it just happened to royally piss him off rofl.

Reading some of these reminds me as to why I'm not a people person

I don't mind people, but I hate stupid people, and grown men who cry, or feel like they need to act like 5 year old.

Nothng wrong with grown men cryin per se...but very much so over losing a board game!

I really don't get this attitude. When I play, I play to learn and do my best. Losses are usually worth a lot more to me, because they can teach me about my mistakes. I never have the impulse to go into a bad mood for losing, I'm more of a "You just blocked my Bossk off the board? Dude, thats amazing!"-guy.

Exactly, I enjoy the challenge no matter if it's win or lose, I learn more from my mistakes than I do from winning! Winning is cool But losing just makes me more determined to play better and sit there at home for ages looking at endless lists and listening to the wife asking odd questions about what am I doing , my reply (shhhh, I'm thinking). Besides it's a fun game on so many levels & it's Star Wars.

Be a good winner and a good loser.

I have flown off the board in protest of my dice, I admit, but it's with my very last ship that I know can't kill anything. It also usually takes a few turns, so I view it more as trying to get a moral victory by having my last ship run away, just as an alternative way of conceding. The time that comes to mind is when I flew a palpmobile from the middle of the board after Vader and my mini-swarm bit the dust due to bad rolls and some really stupid moves on my part. And my opponent had a few turns to kill it since this is the Alabaster stellar manatee we're talking about.

its comical how badly people flip out over bumper strats.

makes sense

because if there's ONE **** THING people forget about this game, it's the fact that blocking exists

I never had a bad loser experience and I have never been one myself.  I will say though that I got caught on a dual YV-666 turret fortress with Nera and Horton, on the edge of the map and neither could shoot or clear the bundle and obviously he chose to continue bumping indefinitely as the 2nd YV-666 could continue firing at both ships.  So I just sat there with no shots slowly dying with no options.  I kept it together though, he made the right play to win, the game rules are just super stupid when it comes to fortressing.  There should be a mechanism that requires you to break out of the jumble if it is an option.  IE if you bump a 2nd time and a maneuver could have cleared the fortress then your opponent gets to select a maneuver for you and execute it.  Similar to choosing a red with a stress assigned. 

well I was playing against a newcomer to the group on saturday

the game started and I was like "****, I'm the first impression. Poor guy."

but it's all good so long as I don't run into exceptional bull, right?

of course,

3 hull Xizor with focus + TL staring down an unmodified Boba Fett (and a PS 0 cheri, yay crits)

13443168_10157005290040142_8539195646614

make that a 4 hit boba fett and a 0 evade xizor, hitting the exact perfect roll needed for his ability not to matter

fortunately, I managed to swallow it

like swallowing a kidney stone you just passed, but I did it

for the greater good

oFeYNpD.gif

I once had a losing opponent do over $600 of damage to my car in the parking lot outside. I had to replace the front right wing of my car, the mirrors, and one of the lights. Took me ages to match the paint so I drove around for months with a really white trash look to my car until I was able to find and then buy the paint.

That all said, it was totally worth that money just to see his face as he bounced off the hood of my car and if I saw him walking back to his car again, I would do the exact same thing without hesitation.

Also, the look on his wife's face was priceless.

You're doing it again, aren't you?
cant stop, won't stop. 2 legit 2 quit.

Haha, okay wow...

That reminds me of a story.  I was working with this kid, maybe 19 - 20 years old who was kinda handicapped, not immensely or anything but he was kinda special.  Great guy let me say, very funny and not afraid to laugh at himself.  Anyways, we're working away and he starts in about how just the other night his family was giving him a little tease because when he gets tickled he screams like a little girl.  He's relating this story to me and I'm wondering what on earth this has to do with anything and he continues on.  He gets into it with his Dad, so his Dad starts to tickle him and he starts wailing like a baby.  Mom joins in with the tickling and pretty soon the whole family is tickling this poor guy and he is rolling around screaming.  Then he tells me his family holds him down and strips him naked, still tickling him.  Okay this is weird I think.  Then what happens is his folks pick him up by the arms and legs and throw him outside and lock the door and don't let him back in for three hours.  I look at my co-works and say 'Gosh Billy that's not teasing that's abuse!  Do you have a safe place you can stay?'.  To which he replies, 'Dude... I was joking...'

and in this story, is he the special one...or are you?

Hey sorry Billy, it was a funny story...

I never had a bad loser experience and I have never been one myself.  I will say though that I got caught on a dual YV-666 turret fortress with Nera and Horton, on the edge of the map and neither could shoot or clear the bundle and obviously he chose to continue bumping indefinitely as the 2nd YV-666 could continue firing at both ships.  So I just sat there with no shots slowly dying with no options.  I kept it together though, he made the right play to win, the game rules are just super stupid when it comes to fortressing.  There should be a mechanism that requires you to break out of the jumble if it is an option.  IE if you bump a 2nd time and a maneuver could have cleared the fortress then your opponent gets to select a maneuver for you and execute it.  Similar to choosing a red with a stress assigned. 

No way! Bumping and fortressing are both part of the game and shouldn't be removed. Sounds like you're a bad loser in this instance because you were consistently blocked.

Bumping is a good way of killing stuff. A tokenless interceptor will die a lot quicker, even with dice on fire.

Fortressing is also useful, but it's not too bad since they'll be tokenless each time they fire.

the whole two ships facebumping indefinitely is a mechanic abuse and i agree THAT should be remedied somehow but bumping in general is definitely part of the game.

The two ships bumping indefinitely is basically these two pilots saying MOVE!!! with their boosters at full throttle and cursing the other wont move lol.

I would suspect that multiple bumps with the same ship would cause damage. 2nd bump with the same ship, on a Hit you both take a damage. 3rd bump, resolve hits or crits. 4th bump, auto crit. For both.

Even the two main bumper-strat ships that want to ram into someone and stay there wouldnt be bothered by this. Oicunn is durable enough to LIKE that change and so is Chopper lol.

its not that its impossible, its that its intentional.

Two large ships with a 1speed forward face each other and reveal 1speed forwards. They will never move. Lose their action but its primarily a stall so they force you to approach them.

Its obviously a mechanic abuse since it makes no sense that its possible without damage lol. Someone tried it at my flgs and the owner walked up and told him to not do that in his store because its a d*ck move and unsportsmanlike to abuse obvious rule oversights.

its not that its impossible, its that its intentional.

Two large ships with a 1speed forward face each other and reveal 1speed forwards. They will never move. Lose their action but its primarily a stall so they force you to approach them.

Its obviously a mechanic abuse since it makes no sense that its possible without damage lol. Someone tried it at my flgs and the owner walked up and told him to not do that in his store because its a d*ck move and unsportsmanlike to abuse obvious rule oversights.

These guys seem to be talking about bumps that the opponent can't clear?

Not the one above. The two YVs bump in a corner and with the 180 arc can shoot all day without moving, making it impossible to stay out of their arc. 

TBH, I'd just not fly at him and take the draw, if that how he want's to fly.

Not the one above. The two YVs bump in a corner and with the 180 arc can shoot all day without moving, making it impossible to stay out of their arc. 

TBH, I'd just not fly at him and take the draw, if that how he want's to fly.

But Jetfire says he sat there with no shots and no options?