Sign in to follow this  
IG88E

Top "bad loser" moments of your opponent

After I'd spent about 30 minutes chasing Dash and getting him below half HP to be up on MOV.

"This is basically a guaranteed victory for me if we had the time, but since we'll run out of time, you might have a chance."  

After I kill Dash, and he has only a regenerating Lone Wolf Poe against 2 T70s (one with a stressbot) and an A-wing.

"This game would be mine if we had the time, there's no way you can kill Poe."

I told him that there's nothing certain in this game and reported the score.  

Edited by Biophysical

I only have one that would qualify as a 'bad loser' moment and it was in a casual game so no stakes whatsoever, which makes it even harder to understand:

I am running brobots and my opponent is running Vader, Juno and Alozen. At some point he forgets to do an action and Alozen and I move one of my bots. He realizes and asks for permission, to which I tell him sure, but no barrel roll, since he'd do that with full knowledge of where I moved (which he wouldn't have had he done it at PS5). He grumbles and takes a focus.

Couple of turns later I have dispatched Alozen and managed to corner Vader (blocked by one bot, clear shot from the other one). I shoot and miss, triggering gunner effect, shoot again. My bots had FCS, but I forgot to say I take it (there was no reason not to though), so I tell him after rolling 2nd attack dice (when I realized): I had no reason not to take the TL so can I take it now and re-roll. To my dismay he tells me no, I made a mistake and since I wanted to be all serious about mistakes earlier I should suffer the consequences. I had Crack Shot so Vader blew up anyway (had some previous damage), but it still felt cheap.

Edited by LordBlades

Oooooh man

Atlanta regionals. Final round of Swiss. Me and my opponent are both 4-1. My mov is killer.

Right off the bat, he starts asking about ID's without a TO present. That's a no no. I remind him that he isn't allowed to ask without the TO present, and I refuse it off the bat.

Game time. I notice he has the dial upgrades, and that he has the FO dial placed next to wampa. Sensing an opportunity, on reveal, I ask him to stop play, and call the TO over. Before the TO arrives, he calls me an *******. Turns out the dial was correct, but the silhouette marker was reversed. Simple mistake, we played on. Tension is mounting.

I alpha (Blount, tala's, and a grey Y) palpatine off the board, removing wampa from effective play as well. Blount and my autoblaster y versus the inquisitor and omega leader. Autoblaster is getting it done. Omega leader is swapping his locks to whoever has he best shot on him. He forgets that he already has my Y locked, measures and calls the lock. I remind him that he already had it locked, and says he wouldn't do that. I say since he measured, I can't allow him to change it. Calls me an ******* again. I remind him to keep better track of his actions.

Game goes to time, and I pull out the modified win.

I won the battle, but he won the regional so I guess it shakes out.

Everyone has been good losers so far. :)

The only time I feel someone is sour about losing, is when they immediately point out their mistakes... literally one second after game ends. I wait atleast 2-3 minutes after a match to explain how I went wrong, when I lose. ;)

I get very sour sometimes (I wonder why) but luckily I have a depressive personality rather than an angry one

luckily in massive quotation marks <_<

did see a long time member almost lose his **** and fling a TL at his opponent, but then again those two have known each other for a long time and we're all New Yorkers so, deep down, we're all assholes

we try out best, though

spaceballs1.jpg

The only "bad loser" moments I have experienced is just your opponent going on and on about how bad they are flying. It starts from opening round of action until even after the game.

"Man, im just flying horrible today"

"This is the worse flying I have done in quite a while."

"Can I fly any worse?"

on and on and on

I sometimes take it as disrespect (depending on opponent), because maybe I am actually flying great? Perhaps you arent bumping into me, maybe I am blocking you? Nope, they are flying horrible and keep bumping into me, haha.

Most of us make mistakes when flying, but it could be your opponent is just good and reading your moves and instead of whining all game about how bad you are, give him props for his flying.

Someone quitting a Vassal game after the first round of combat. I remove two shields off a ghost, he fires back at range three at an a-wing with autothrusters and focus. He misses. His last message was "Gg, nice dice" before quitting... No discussion, no 'bye', no nothing. Still annoyed by that one!

The most I have seen is people just largely being disappointed running popular lists and not doing so well with them, I have seen a couple times where people looked at their destroyed palp aces or iggybots and sighed.

Also I dunno if this is the healthiest thread idea.  Just saying.

Someone quitting a Vassal game after the first round of combat. I remove two shields off a ghost, he fires back at range three at an a-wing with autothrusters and focus. He misses. His last message was "Gg, nice dice" before quitting... No discussion, no 'bye', no nothing. Still annoyed by that one!

Sounds like vassal needs a "flip table" function.

There's two guys I play with, well one I don't play with anymore. But neither of them are good players. They put together odd lists, manage to fly over every single rock, and sometimes off the board. During gameplay, after the first few rounds they just stop playing. They'll turn around, listen to someone else's conversation, ignore my inquiries, pull out their phones, sometimes just get up and leave without even packing their things. They don't even know each other but the moment they start losing they act the exact same way, it's so bizarre!

It's not X-Wing but my favorite "bad winner" moment was during a game of Chess.  I say "bad winner" because I was in a situation I could NOT win from yet my opponent wanted to continue play until all of his pawns were queened.  He eventually got his wish but in doing so left my king stuck on a safe square but with no move to make which lead to a draw so no win for him.  

Lesson:  A win is a win so take it while you can before something happens to take it away from you.

Lesson:  A win is a win so take it while you can before something happens to take it away from you.

Truth. I had an X-Wing game that I was decisively losing but instead of just burning my last ship down with Vader on a VT-49 my opponent tried to hunt down my last ship to preserve his MoV. I ended up getting ahead on points and the game went to time.

"Can I fly any worse?"

A lot of times when I say something along those lines what I really mean is "****, I'm always picking exactly the wrong move for what you just did".

"Can I fly any worse?"

A lot of times when I say something along those lines what I really mean is "****, I'm always picking exactly the wrong move for what you just did".

I know I've put myself into a position that otherwise I'd normally not do

Like I know your going to block me but for some reason I still tried. That's frustrating. Nothing against my opponent, but I usually get annoyed with myself.

That's any competition.

If you know your potential, you know you can do well, but for whatever reasons you make the dumbest moves, you get mad at yourself, not your opponent. Everyone is different, some can keep quiet and keep to themselves, others tend to talk out loud.

I tend to have a bad habit of being forgetful,, like oh Ya you have tactician on there. If I had remember I wouldn't have done a 3 straight, but that's from my younger years of recreational substance abuse

Edited by Krynn007

Oooooh man

Atlanta regionals. Final round of Swiss. Me and my opponent are both 4-1. My mov is killer.

Right off the bat, he starts asking about ID's without a TO present. That's a no no. I remind him that he isn't allowed to ask without the TO present, and I refuse it off the bat.

Game time. I notice he has the dial upgrades, and that he has the FO dial placed next to wampa. Sensing an opportunity, on reveal, I ask him to stop play, and call the TO over. Before the TO arrives, he calls me an *******. Turns out the dial was correct, but the silhouette marker was reversed. Simple mistake, we played on. Tension is mounting.

I alpha (Blount, tala's, and a grey Y) palpatine off the board, removing wampa from effective play as well. Blount and my autoblaster y versus the inquisitor and omega leader. Autoblaster is getting it done. Omega leader is swapping his locks to whoever has he best shot on him. He forgets that he already has my Y locked, measures and calls the lock. I remind him that he already had it locked, and says he wouldn't do that. I say since he measured, I can't allow him to change it. Calls me an ******* again. I remind him to keep better track of his actions.

Actually, that does sound like being an ******* - YOU being the *******. Or, in terms of the thread, a bad winner/loser. Calling him for petty mistakes after a long day of playing, calling TOs over for said mistakes, insisting that he obey every rule and every step so you could gain an advantage over him you didn't deserve...

Yep, all signs of being an asshat player. Congratulations to him for winning the regional. 

Bad losers? I'd have to say that it's in another game, 40k, that the worst loser I've ever seen came from.

He the kind of guy who thought that money, not skill, should win. Every tournament he shows up with a different army barely glued together - and note, at the time a new 40k army cost between $200 and $300 for a 1500-point force, and we were having tournaments every two weeks.

He'd always lose. Every time. And somehow, due to how the store did its matches, I'd ALWAYS be against him, and always blow him out. 

At first, I tried to be nice about it. Then, I tried to be a teacher about it, "It was pushing forward with the Chosen in turn two rather than sitting back which lost the game for you". Then I tried to be businesslike about it, not making any more conversation than the bare minimum to play the game.

Then I snapped. I rotated between three different armies, and he had the balls to say, "The only reason you won is because you were playing Eldar!" I looked over at him, handed him my list, and shouted to the store owner, "We're replaying this game, and he's playing my Eldar and I'm playing his Tau because he thinks it's the plastic that makes the winner, not the player." 

And I won again with an army that had just came out weeks before and I didn't know a goddamn thing about other than "They're shooty, yo." 

I had an opponent very aggressively, and pre-emptively, attempt to emotionnally blackmail me by throwing insults into letting him perform the manoeuver that he wanted instead of the one that he had actually picked (the move that he had picked did not land him on an asteroid or outside the map and at that stage, the game could go either way).  Once I recovered from the verbal assault, I stood my ground and he ended up quitting the game as I was about to call the TO over (he called me a few names yet again).

Not fun...

Edited by dotswarlock

Oooooh man

I don't see what all the fuss about calling a judge over before asking for an ID. You're still colluding, just in front of a judge. I don't see how it's magically a bad thing when not in front of a judge.

These are the kind of expectations that, "Fly Casual" has created. It's a cover for sloppy play. When someone makes a mistake, they /expect/ their opponent to allow them to correct it, and if you don't then you're an *******.

You didn't let him correct his mistakes, but how many mistakes was he allowed to correct by other players? How many other players were emotionally manipulated by this obnoxious guy, that didn't want to deny him missed triggers because they just want to, "fly casual and they don't want to win just because their opponent forgot an action"?

In a WAAC sense I almost appreciate his willingness to win. But you have to do that within the rules, without insulting your opponent. Sportsmen don't call their opponents assholes.

New idea: Next time someone insults you for denying them a missed trigger or whatever, call over a TO and try to get him on unsportsmanlike conduct. Point out in the FAQ/tournament guidelines where it talks about missed opportunities, and then point out the unsportsmanlike conduct section. Tell him what happened and what your opponent called you.

Once had a guy eating some kind of yogurt bar. he kept getting sticky yogurt crap on the mat. I swear he would get stuff on his hands on purpose so I would not fly in certain areas. He would also rub his hand on the mat to try to get the stuff off his hand. I asked him to clean it and he told me that if he left the table I was going to cheat, so he refused to clean his mess. I called over the TO, because he was getting yogurt on the mat and making everything sticky. The store owner told him to clean it up or quit. He started yelling at me was the only way I could win was to get him disqualified, so he quit and threw all his X-wing stuff into a plastic bag and stormed off.