Sign in to follow this  
joliversc

Critical Hit Tokens

Rules Reference 2.0: Page 9

Under CRITICAL DAMAGE: When a ship is dealt a faceup Damage card, assign a critical hit token to that ship as a reminder of the card’s ongoing effect. That token is discarded if the card is discarded or flipped facedown.

My local community currently doesn't use these tokens. I have watched a number of regional and world's matches on YouTube (Some of which are officiated by the games developers) and they don't seem to used. I have watched a number of regional and world's matches on YouTube (Some of which are officiated by the games developers) and they don't seem to used. No one in my local community have ever seen this rule applied or seen the tokens placed on the game board and some of us have traveled to regional tournaments and the Stele Open.

My question is:

Should I try and encourage the use of these tokens during casual play, should we consider this a 'hard' rule that should be enforced during our local tournaments or should we continue to fly casual regarding this rule?

I bring two of my own. If someone gets a crit I say "oh you probably should put a crit token down". If they don't have one, which seems common (arrogant ba$tards!), I offer one of mine! LOL.

I played a match at world's and my Vader took a crit that prevents him from doing actions. No crit token was applied. next turn I boosted and barrel rolled. The turn after, I realized my mistake and told my opponent. We decided it was a missed opportunity, which really was a bit unfair to my opponent as he could have maybe hit me on the previous turn without my barrel roll and boost. I felt bad as I ended up winning the game. I offered to send him a promo card as a thank you for not being a **** about it. There really was no other way to deal with it, other than to say next time make your opponent put a crit token on his ship!

Just NEVER EVER USE THEM WHEN PLAYING A DECI

because it's almost equivalent to Psycho Celchu or Drea Renthal's "Pile'o'Stress"

First, you don't put more then one, there is no reason, this is a reminder, not a counter.

Second, I played many game with With Decimator Kirk with Ysanne, and you'd be surprised how it is hard to land crit on it.

Third, even with Tycho, because I now use Rage on it, I never put more then two crit, totaly useless, he will never loose them, we assume he is permanently crit.

I use the Applied Perpective Premium Critical Damage Pack tokens because instead of it just being a critical, they have markers for the things you tend to forget (no shooting, -1 agility, PS 0, -1 attack dice) and the standard critical hit tokens for everything else.

IMG_7907_e.jpg

Edited by Grayfax

Ok it seems like we are for using tokens. Why aren't they used during video'd regional or world's games? The people in my area who travel hours to attend conventions in far off lands say they aren't being used there either.

I'd say you should keep trying to encourage people to use them.  But the rule about them has never been enforced in any game I've seen, even in Worlds...

So while I think they're a good idea, it's unlikely you'll ever find a TO who will DQ someone for not using them.

I use the Applied Perpective Premium Critical Damage Pack tokens because instead of it just being a critical, they have markers for the things you tend to forget (no shooting, -1 agility, PS 0, -1 attack dice) and the standard critical hit tokens for everything else.

IMG_7907_e.jpg

Pretty.  Pretty much a waste as they are so crit specific which also means you're going to need to carry all of them around with you instead of just having the one per ship you need.

Pretty.  Pretty much a waste as they are so crit specific which also means you're going to need to carry all of them around with you instead of just having the one per ship you need.

That's a little harsh! :P

I don't think most people will have a problem carrying around 12 tokens instead of 3-4... And they're more than just pretty - they're useful, they let you see what crits are active without needing to check the card.

That's a little harsh! :P

I don't think most people will have a problem carrying around 12 tokens instead of 3-4... And they're more than just pretty - they're useful, they let you see what crits are active without needing to check the card.

Perhaps it's a little harsh but when people don't want to carry/use the standard critical hit tokens it's an easy observation to make.

I'll give you that they may be useful but they are possibly less useful than have Determination on a pilot.  Here each of these tokens corresponds to a specific damage card which may never be seen face up and even when it does it may not stick around long enough to merit a special token just for it.

Personally, I use them, and at every tournament I've ever played in, I've brought them. I usually bring one for each ship in my list, and my son does the same. When I get critted, I put the token next to my ship. I don't expect my opponent to do the same, but it's what I've always done. To each their own, I guess.

Mostly I like those tokens because they are useful.  I don't have to keep track of which ship can't shoot.  I don't have to look at the cards on the side to remember I have a lower agility on one.  Not saying it's for everyone, but I found it very useful and actually had me using the tokens when I wasn't using the cardboard ones.  And there are the basic ones for the more complicated crits.

I've only ever played one or two people that use them. Mine are sitting in a box with all the random mission tokens, extra TLs and numbered tombstones.

Edited by WWHSD

I've only ever played one or two people that use them. Mine are sitting in a box with all the random mission tokens, extra TLs and numbered tombstones.

It seems to be a strange 'thing'. It's in the rule book but it's not enforced by FF judges at officially sanctioned games. I don't have my original rule book. Is it a new change when they introduced V2.0 of the rules?

It seems to be a strange 'thing'. It's in the rule book but it's not enforced by FF judges at officially sanctioned games. I don't have my original rule book. Is it a new change when they introduced V2.0 of the rules?

It's a rule, sure, but it still generally has no real impact on the game if it's used or not.