Sign in to follow this  
Jabbadewonga

Double punisher list viable?

So I've just got a second punisher (mainly for extra munitions) and wanted to try running two... I know the general consensus is that one alone isn't great let alone two but I figured I'd try it (and attempt to justify my purchase!). Besides I've had pretty decent results with my redline/fel/OL build...

Anyway without rambling further I've come up with two lists... Are either any good? I figured at least I'll have the surprise element...!

List 1 - Cutlass Squadron:

TIE Punisher: Cutlass Squadron Pilot (21)

Extra Munitions (2)

Plasma Torpedoes (3)

Cluster Missiles (4)

Fire Control System (2)

Guidance Chips (0)

TIE Punisher: Cutlass Squadron Pilot (21)

Extra Munitions (2)

Proton Torpedoes (4)

Cluster Missiles (4)

Fire Control System (2)

Guidance Chips (0)

TIE Interceptor: · Soontir Fel (27)

Push The Limit (3)

Stealth Device (3)

Royal Guard TIE (0)

Autothrusters (2)

List 2 - Black Eight Squadron:

TIE Punisher: Black Eight Squadron Pilot (23)

Extra Munitions (2)

Proton Torpedoes (4)

Cluster Missiles (4)

Fire Control System (2)

Guidance Chips (0)

TIE Punisher: Black Eight Squadron Pilot (23)

Extra Munitions (2)

Proton Torpedoes (4)

Cluster Missiles (4)

Fire Control System (2)

Guidance Chips (0)

TIE Bomber: · Captain Jonus (22)

Swarm Tactics (2)

Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)

TIE Shuttle (0)

Systems officer (2)

Fleet Officer (3)

The latter list obviously makes use of unreleased veterans upgrades but you get the idea... Would love to hear what the hive mind thinks on both these lists :)

I've flown the first list before although the cluster missile were substituted for conner nets. List 1 is better IMO because Soontir is really **** good, Jonus just doesn't compare.

Generic punishers are not in a great spot - they're essentially way more expensive, slightly beefier Tie Bombers with a worse dial and a system upgrade. That said, they are still one of my favorite ships in the game and I can definitely see the appeal of running multiples. How about this?

Black Eight Squadron Pilot (23)

- Homing Missiles (5)

- Extra Munitions (2)

- Adv. Sensors (3)

- Connor Nets (4)

- Long-Range Scanners (0)

- Homing Missiles (5)

- Extra Munitions (2)

- Adv. Sensors (3)

- Connor Nets (4)

- Long-Range Scanners (0)

Omega Leader (21)

- Juke (2)

- Comm Relay (3)

Total 100

I agree that running an ace alongside the punishers for the lategame is the right call, but as good as soontir is I think you're better off upgrading the punishers slightly. Black Eights are essential; you really really want to drop a Uboat before it fires in that matchup, so the bump to PS 4 is worth it. If you're not running Jonus (and as good as he is, an ace is probably the better call) homing missiles are the way to go as far as ordinance goes. Connor nets give you some game against aces that might otherwise be able to outmaneuver Omega Leader. I went with LRS because being able to lock onto aces in the initial engagement can be crucial, and it lets you lock the first turn and fire missiles with a focus on the second. However, LRS has a bit of anti-synergy with FCS, so I opted for advanced sensors instead as it plays very well with LRS and Connor Nets. You could also go back to FCS and Chips and then have two points for a bid or to throw on another upgrade.

Edited by DeathToJarJar

Viable?

Probably not gonna win many tournaments, but I whip out the double punisher every now and then:

"Redline" (27)
Fire-Control System (2)
Plasma Torpedoes (3)
Extra Munitions (2)
Cluster Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)

Extra Munitions (2)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
Cluster Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)

Gamma Squadron Pilot (18)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
Extra Munitions (2)
Cluster Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)

Total: 99

It'll melt a Jumpmaster fairly effectively, but you've got to be very damned careful about how you make your approach.

The difficulty lies in getting at least two ships pointing at the same target, generally I find that people focus on Redline and this gives you a bit more leeway with your Black 8 and Gamma.