Sign in to follow this  
KrisSherriff

Once Veterans is Finally here what are you thinking of running?

As some of you know, I love the tie bomber. While I am excited about the defender options, I am even more excited to try to build a deadly bomber wing. I was thinking of running a 16 point tie shuttle with 2 systems officers and twin ion engine and running that as a cheap centerpiece to a bomber wing. It clocks in at 21 points and can hand out 2 target locks a turn. While I am surrounding it with bombers, it could also hand out TLS to interceptors or even basic ties. Then I would probably run to gamma vets with chips, EM, prockets, and probably homing missles. I also like a pair of them as gamma vets with homing, predator, LRS (since they can keep the lock and modify with predator. I'm really liking the support tie idea. 2 TLs every turn is quite a bit of action economy, and of course you could replace one with tactician as has already been discussed.

Edited by Darthfish

So here's a list I've been considering

3 Gamma Squadron Veterans with Long Range Scanners, Homing Missiles, Extra Munitions and Crackshot

1 Sienar Test Pilot with Autothrusters and Title.

It's got a helluva Alpha Strike and the Test Pilot is there to jam up aces. Honestly I expect a palp aces list would tear this squadron apart but it's a really nasty initial joust. I suspect it would do fairly well against a U Boat list provided you can block one of them during the initial exchange.

So I've come up with a better version of the previous list. I don't end up boosting with Vessery that much, only against a bad player was I constantly doing it. Against good players with good lists there wasn't much to be gained from boosting.

Since I'm dropping EU off of Vessery, there goes the need for VI. Now we get Juke on Vessery.

Extra points for the shuttle title. Often when you initially engage you don't have a TL up for Vessery. The Lambda title gives us that.

Vessery with Juke and x7.

Inquisitor with PtL, TIE/V1, Autothrusters.

OGP with ST-321 (or whatever the **** it is), Palpatine, Electronic Baffles. 99 points

So every turn, Inquisitor gets focus evade target lock, Vessery gets that same stack /with Juke/ and no stress, and the Lambda gets TL focus for its first shot along with being a better blocker and extra gun because of Baffles.

I give you, the Red Baron's flying circus:

No particular synergy, not at all competetive, I just like the idea of 3 members of the imperial court in a list together (I also have a list with Soontir Fel and 3 Barons of the Empire)

Countess Ryad (34)
Juke (2)
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)
TIE/x7 (-2)

Soontir Fel (27)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
Stealth Device (3)
Royal Guard TIE (0)

Valen Rudor (22)
Juke (2)
XX-23 S-Thread Tracers (1)
Autothrusters (2)
TIE/v1 (1)

Total: 98

Edited by Stu35

So I've come up with a better version of the previous list. I don't end up boosting with Vessery that much, only against a bad player was I constantly doing it. Against good players with good lists there wasn't much to be gained from boosting.

Since I'm dropping EU off of Vessery, there goes the need for VI. Now we get Juke on Vessery.

Extra points for the shuttle title. Often when you initially engage you don't have a TL up for Vessery. The Lambda title gives us that.

OGP with ST-321 (or whatever the **** it is), Palpatine, Electronic Baffles. 99 points

So every turn, Inquisitor gets focus evade target lock, Vessery gets that same stack /with Juke/ and no stress, and the Lambda gets TL focus for its first shot along with being a better blocker and extra gun because of Baffles.

The issue with this is that the shuttle becomes the only good source of TL for Vessery. You're losing half the goodness of the Inquisitor/Vessery team. Also, you're paying 3 points to trigger a free ability. That's garbage. You could upgrade Vessery to Stele and Predator for the same points to get a similar, but more flexible and reliable effect.

If you don't need Engine, maybe swap it out for a Howard Brother's style Sensor Jammer on Palpatine.

This:

“Deathrain” (37)
TIE Punisher (26), Accuracy Corrector (3), Extra Munitions (2), Seismic Charges (2), Conner Net (4)

The Inquisitor (31)
TIE Advanced Prototype (25), Push the Limit (3), TIE/v1 (1), Autothrusters (2)

Tomax Bren (32)
TIE Bomber (24), Crack Shot (1), Extra Munitions (2), Homing Missiles (5), Long Range Scanners (0)

And that:

Gamma Squadron Veteran (27) x 3
TIE Bomber (19), Deadeye (1), Extra Munitions (2), Homing Missiles (5), Guidance Chips (0)

Scimitar Squadron Pilot (19)
TIE Bomber (16), TIE Shuttle (0), Fleet Officer (3)

The issue with this is that the shuttle becomes the only good source of TL for Vessery. You're losing half the goodness of the Inquisitor/Vessery team. Also, you're paying 3 points to trigger a free ability. That's garbage. You could upgrade Vessery to Stele and Predator for the same points to get a similar, but more flexible and reliable effect.

If you don't need Engine, maybe swap it out for a Howard Brother's style Sensor Jammer on Palpatine.

I was rethinking this, and the shuttle title could just be replaced with Prockets on the Inquisitor. Or hull/stealth on Vessery.

My thinking with the shuttle was that it not only makes sure that Vessery gets a TL first turn, but also allows the shuttle itself to enter the fight with double modifiers, which it normally doesn't have.

I was rethinking this, and the shuttle title could just be replaced with Prockets on the Inquisitor. Or hull/stealth on Vessery.

My thinking with the shuttle was that it not only makes sure that Vessery gets a TL first turn, but also allows the shuttle itself to enter the fight with double modifiers, which it normally doesn't have.

No matter what, Juke Vessery still pretty much sucks for using a Lock from the Inquisitor.  You lose the whole point of the combo.  Your shuttle will be a bad source of a lock, because it will be wanting to pull red maneuvers often enough, and its low PS means you often won't know really who Vessery will get a shot on at the time the shuttle is choosing it's lock.  VI Vessery just works so much better for the Target Lock-Inquisitor synergy.  

Major Rhymer (26)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Advanced Proton Torpedoes (6)
Extra Munitions (2)
Long-Range Scanners (0)

Darth Vader (29)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Advanced Targeting Computer (1)
Engine Upgrade (4)
TIE/x1 (0)

The Inquisitor (25)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Autothrusters (2)
TIE/v1 (1)

Total: 99

9  - 10 - 11,
With a 1 point initiative bid. You can better believe your enemy will be flying HARD to not get into Rhymer's Arc, and you use that to your advantage to pincer with the Inquiz and Vader.  

TOMAX!

My take on Hateful 8. Tomax can green manuever to gives out a TL&F then he's gets a focus and an evade from Cool Hand.

TIE Defender: •Colonel Vessery (40)

TIE/D (0)

Veteran Instincts (1)

Ion Cannon (3)

TIE Bomber: •Tomax Bren (31)

TIE Shuttle (0)

Cool Hand (1)

Fleet Officer (3)

SystemsOfficer (2)

TIE/FO Fighter: •"Omega Leader" (26)

Juke (2)

Comm Relay (3)

Total: 97/100

What about Rhymer and Jonus?

Jonus could take the Title, Tactician and another crew to help draw fire off Rhymer whom you could load up with DE, EM and Advanced Homing Missiles or Clusters, or both.  Rhymer still ballparks in the 30s but now with Jonus able to do his job better, would they become a viable combo?  AHMs needed better accuracy and range, and CMs are really great with a reroll ability.  Jonus before was a little too pudgy for what he actually did, but does the inclusion of the title and more points really up his value?  Someone needs to draw fire off Rhymer and perhaps Tactician alone could work.  Jonus provides such a healthy boost to secondaries you have to wonder if extra focus or TLs would just be overkill. 

edit:  What do you think of doubling up on AHMs on Rhymer with DE and GC and Jonus providing rerolls?  Would that be better than CMs?

Edited by Darkcloak

I am honored! I actually think that squad has some competetive potential. Against aces, you are flexible because you can barrel roll more, have a ship that is not wasted blocking and Homing Missiles denie Evades which is huge against the Inquisitor, Omega Leader and Soontir Fel. Against U-Boats, you can stack TL, Focus and GCs on two Bombers because you have higher PS.

My first two lists out of the gate will both include our lord and master...

Delta Squadron Pilot (33) x 2
TIE Defender (30), Ion Cannon (3), TIE/D (0)

Darth Vader (34)
TIE Advanced (29), TIE/x1 (0), Adaptability (0), Engine Upgrade (4), Advanced Targeting Computer (5)

Scimitar Squadron Pilot (19)

TIE Bomber (16), TIE Shuttle (0), Darth Vader (3)

Gamma Squadron Veteran (27) x 3
TIE Bomber (19), Crack Shot (1), Extra Munitions (2), Homing Missiles (5), Long Range Scanners (0)

I am honored! I actually think that squad has some competetive potential. Against aces, you are flexible because you can barrel roll more, have a ship that is not wasted blocking and Homing Missiles denie Evades which is huge against the Inquisitor, Omega Leader and Soontir Fel. Against U-Boats, you can stack TL, Focus and GCs on two Bombers because you have higher PS.

Yeah, I've run quad Gamma before. It out alpha strikes U-Boats at a higher PS and since you move after they do, the ordnance being TL dependant isn't a problem. But against things higher PS than you it's a problem.

If you maintain that alpha strike potential while also maintaining the point and shoot thing that U-Boats can do with Deadeye, then great. You might want to drop one to Concussions in order to fit TIE MK II on the TIE Shuttle.

I originally dismissed the TIE Shuttle, but this could be the build. And it being PS 2 doesn't matter, once the combat phase will have started it will have already handed out focus tokens. Go ahead, waste 2 torpedoes on it IDGAF.

"Deadeye needs to be made unique, it's so OP that you can fire ordnance without a TL." People already complain about it, lol.