Sign in to follow this  
Bullroarer Took

Temple of the Deceived

It is still flipped over (you never flip it back to the Uncharted side) but it will have no progress on it, so you will have to put progress on it again.

Thanks, that's what I thought when I read it, I was just wondering if I was missing something about the "considered explored" part. Ah well, off to give it a try!

I've played this a few times now and would like to add to my comments.  In some ways this is the best mono-tactics quest to be released since we left Gondor.  There really is no chance of location lock because the number and threat from locations stays constant.  So even in tactics you can build up a team of questers in order to brave the perils of the island.  The encounter deck only consists of enemies (tactics forte) and treacheries which aren't too bad.

For my part I have really been enjoying the sailing quests, and this quest is probably the easiest one in the extended cycle so far, but if you like smashing undead with a red deck, it's probably for you.

Deorwine confuses me. I can't trigger him before revealing the shadow card because there's no "shadow effect" to cancel at this point. I can't trigger him when the shadow card is revealed because it's an Action not a Response. I can't trigger him after the shadow effect has resolved because cancellations have to be immediate. Unless he can only "cancel" persistent shadow effects like +1 Attack and not instant shadow effects like Deal 1 damage to the defender? Help!

Edited by NathanH

I already asked Caleb about Deorwine:

I believe Deorwine’s ‘Action’ should be a ‘Response’ to allow his ability to work as intended. His effect is meant to cancel the shadow effect after it is revealed and before it resolves in a similar fashion to Hasty Stroke.

We just used Elfhelm with lots of Songs and Love of Tales and Grima opposite a Tactics Eowyn / Tactics Aragorn / Spirit Beregond deck full of nice mounts. The results were highly entertaining. I wouldn't call it anywhere near the most efficient pairing we've ever done but it was certainly a load of fun. Eowyn questing for 5 and then attacking for 18 with Firefoot was a particular highlight. Didn't even need Gondorian Fire!

Tried this first time today. I played with my Galadriel Cirdan Galdor Noldor that i have traveled the whole cycle. I won and it looked to me easy. But i hsve a couple of questions

When the Aimless wandering treachury appears, i look at the cards othogonicaly to the active location to make the effect?

Also on winding caverns location,what is the meaning of travel cost?

Tried this first time today. I played with my Galadriel Cirdan Galdor Noldor that i have traveled the whole cycle. I won and it looked to me easy. But i hsve a couple of questions

When the Aimless wandering treachury appears, i look at the cards othogonicaly to the active location to make the effect?

Also on winding caverns location,what is the meaning of travel cost?

You don't look at the facedown side of a location in the staging area if it's UNcharted side faceup. While "facedown", you only consider the Lost Island/Temple of the Deceived side of it.

Travel costs are effects worded as "Travel: blablabla". You have to complete them in order to travel to the location. In this case, the Travel cost of Temple is that you have to exhaust the Gate Key. If you travel through the caverns to the Temple, it'sjust a reminder that you still have to actually exhaust the Key to go there.

About the aimless wandering treachury, Maybe i was not clear

I.e, the first card that i draw from the encounter deck is it, i am at top left, so one uncharted to the left and one to the bottom. I have to remove characters from quest till a willpower of four removed (as the treachury suggests) is reached? (Thats what i did, but want to be sure)

About the aimless wandering treachury, Maybe i was not clear

I.e, the first card that i draw from the encounter deck is it, i am at top left, so one uncharted to the left and one to the bottom. I have to remove characters from quest till a willpower of four removed (as the treachury suggests) is reached? (Thats what i did, but want to be sure)

Ok, now I get it. No, the treachery does not suggest a willpower of 4. It says X, where X is the number of Uncharted locations. If you start at the top left and only have 2 uncharted locations in the staging area (one to the right and once below), you only have to remove characters with a total of 2 willpower.

Three Trials easy in solo? Wow, I mean it's no Carn Dum, but I thought it was fairly difficult in single player, as you can't divide the guardians among players.

I agree it was very difficult for me to beat, in fact i am not sure i have ever beaten in solo without tweaking the rules to remove the time penalties. I play one deck solo and hate building a deck which is totally specific to beating one scenario although i do build themed decks. Maybe that is why i am finding the Ringmaker cycle a rather disappointing experience for its high difficulty levels. It has rather put me off buying any more cycles at all now as they seem to have upped the difficulty well beyond the Dwarrowdelf levels. Note I didn't buy Numenor or that cycle as the theme didnt excite me. Maybe there are some more adventure like scenarios out there i would like and Temple looks like one of the better ones.

I've played this a few times now and would like to add to my comments.  In some ways this is the best mono-tactics quest to be released since we left Gondor.  There really is no chance of location lock because the number and threat from locations stays constant.  So even in tactics you can build up a team of questers in order to brave the perils of the island.  The encounter deck only consists of enemies (tactics forte) and treacheries which aren't too bad.

For my part I have really been enjoying the sailing quests, and this quest is probably the easiest one in the extended cycle so far, but if you like smashing undead with a red deck, it's probably for you.

This is good to know - are there any other quests around which have a similar adventure theme style that are not in the overly difficult box. The ones i like are adventures rather than tricky puzzles to solve, my favourites include Khazad dum, Long Dark, Redhorn Gate, Watcher in the water, Spider themed ones. I am currently finding Ringmaker and Isengaard much less enjoyable than Dwarrowdelf. I want to like 3 trials but i have to rule tweak to make it work ok. I just hope to find a few more quests around that suit my adventure style. Mount Gram interested me and Rhudaur or Dread Realm but i wasnt sure if i could do them given my Ringmaker experiences.

My wife and I have been finding the Grey Havens + Dreamchaser cycle to be a bit easier on the whole than anything released since the Dwarrowdelf days. So far every quest has been a blast, too. I suspect that this would be a good cycle to skip to if you wanted to.

Escape from Mount Gram and Across the Ettenmoors are both really fun quests from the Angmar Awakened cycle, and neither of those are too difficult. The rest of that cycle is a little on the tough side though--but the player cards from that cycle are top notch.