Sign in to follow this  
Bullroarer Took

Temple of the Deceived

hm...  as usual I'm not sold (on Elfhelm) right away...  and I love my rohan decks.

First off, Elfhelm is already a very powerful Rohan ally.    He's one of the better ones that we've got.   The mere fact that the card reads "elfhelm" is a major disadvantage already.  Raw stats,  Elfhelm hero only has +1 W and +1 hp over his ally version so...   not exactly lighting the world on fire here.    10 threat,   that's higher than I want it.  For 10 threat I can get Erkenbrand in the same sphere, who has better stats, and a very strong ability.  

I just don't love Ld Rohan anyway.   For allies we have the very underwhelming Snowbourn Scout,  Warden of Helm's Deep (not bad, but not amazing), and the unique Eothain who isn't that great either.  

Ok, so are you going to play him just for his ability?   Well... mmmm...maybe?     If you are running Elfhelm hero at all you're probably in the spirt sphere already because you are going to want Horse Breeder.  So that's 2 heros, most likely Eowyn or Theoden.  Taking the last of that trio might be okay,   but you'll miss out on the Tactics mounts.   You could take Eomer instead and go with a tri-sphere,  but that's a bit dangerous and if you don't take Eowyn you're pretty weak on willpower.  If you do take Eowyn you miss Theoden's discount,  maybe you don't need it with Steward of Gondor.   But IMO, leave that for the gondor players ;D.

So what have you got now.   Snowmane is pretty good, esp with Herugrim,  the Rohan Warhorse is sort of still lame.   1 cost for 1 WP, A, or D,  I mean it's okay.  It's probably not a card slot.   Armored Destrider is really good,  but it's good because it's an amazing card,  not necessarily because of Elfhelm's +1.   I mean..... wouldn't you rather just have Erkenbrand with an Armored Destrider instead?  

Rohan Warhorse and Firefoot probably make the best use of Elfhelm's ability, but as I said, tactics is hard to squeeze in.

I could see Elfhelm being strong to have on the table in multiplayer when lots of people are running mounts anyway.   Asfaloth hits the table a lot, so there's an easy 1 WP, and the rohan warhorse shows up a lot too, as I imagine the Armored Destrider will also.   the more players, the more his ability is a benefit.   But I don't think he's worth it for solo, or even 2 deck play.

I don't think Elfhelm Ally is a very important card at all. Largely marginalised due to its hefty cost. An OK ability, but not one that synergises particularly well with the Rohan trait. I would argue that Elfhelm was a very mediocre card, and an updated version has long been overdue.

I used to like Elfhelm ally but he is so situational. With Rohan, you want to be questing well, and then he just defies doom which does not appear (much or at all) in about half of the quests. The cost of 4 is a lot for that.

You can have Elfhelm Leadership, Éowyn Tactics and Théoden Spirit. With Théoden's discount and some Song of Travel (that should go on Éowyn), you should be able to afford to pay the Spirit allies just fine. Tactics might not be needed so much in such a deck but it is nice utility to have, and again, with the songs, Éowyn can pay for other cards.

Another rule question, can RiW stop archery? I guess not as you have no time to play it before it triggers?

No, archery happens at the beginning of the combat phase, same as dealing shadow cards, so you don't have an action window.

I don't like these multiplayer "players as a group spend 3" cards.

What ever happened to x, where x is the number of players, and variables to that effect?

They're not consistently 3, and in this case they aren't scaled to the number of players, so it wouldn't make sense to cost them that way. Instead they're costed by the power of the effect. The only time we've had X where X is the number of players on a player card that I remember is The White Council - which is a nice card, but one previous instance doesn't seem to give much cause for exclaiming "Whatever happened to" about it. It was never a general thing to have anything happen to it.

A minor point, but I am very glad that the effect is for all heroes, rather than just Rohan heroes. It means Elfhelm can fit well into other decks; he is an excellent hero to splash into Spirit or Tactics decks, bringing some boosted attachments with him if he does.

Another rule question, can RiW stop archery? I guess not as you have no time to play it before it triggers?

No, archery happens at the beginning of the combat phase, same as dealing shadow cards, so you don't have an action window.

What ever happened to x, where x is the number of players, and variables to that effect?

They're not consistently 3, and in this case they aren't scaled to the number of players, so it wouldn't make sense to cost them that way. Instead they're costed by the power of the effect. The only time we've had X where X is the number of players on a player card that I remember is The White Council - which is a nice card, but one previous instance doesn't seem to give much cause for exclaiming "Whatever happened to" about it. It was never a general thing to have anything happen to it.

It was better than this method. Maybe it should have been a general thing (feels like it's fairly common on encounter deck cards anyway).

It was better than this method. Maybe it should have been a general thing (feels like it's fairly common on encounter deck cards anyway).

I quite prefer the multisphere approach they're taking now. I found the white council worked well enough for solo or two player, but once you got to spending 3 or 4 resources it just wasn't worth the cost.. The cost by power of effect makes much more sense and encourages interaction between players to boot.

I don't find Elfhelm (ally) to be too expensive.   He costs 4 but really that's 3-and-a-Theoden if you're playing Rohan.  His ability is fair, but not great, no.   What he does have is very strong stats for a 3+T cost.   Particularly he has good combat stats for Spirit.   But sure, I could deal without him.   Definitely the least important part of that entire earlier post.

I quite prefer the multisphere approach they're taking now. I found the white council worked well enough for solo or two player, but once you got to spending 3 or 4 resources it just wasn't worth the cost.. The cost by power of effect makes much more sense and encourages interaction between players to boot.

White Council isn't great except as a smoothing card for solo game, but the cost mechanics are sound. It's the effects that needed work when scaling up.

Arrows gets cheaper and far, far more powerful with more players added to a game. Goes too far in the other direction.

White Council isn't great except as a smoothing card for solo game, but the cost mechanics are sound. It's the effects that needed work when scaling up.

Arrows gets cheaper and far, far more powerful with more players added to a game. Goes too far in the other direction.

Sure, but barring the use of Advance Warning, with more players it also becomes more difficult keeping all the enemies in the staging area until after their engagement checks

hm...  as usual I'm not sold (on Elfhelm) right away...  and I love my rohan decks.

First off, Elfhelm is already a very powerful Rohan ally.    He's one of the better ones that we've got.   The mere fact that the card reads "elfhelm" is a major disadvantage already.  

If you are running Elfhelm hero at all you're probably in the spirt sphere already because you are going to want Horse Breeder. 

Elfhelm is not a game changer, but he'll see play.  The Westfold Horsebreeder is a good pairing for a deck with him, but not as essential as you have made it (your comments above assume Spirit in every build).  I'd probably use him 2-player in an Eomer/Erkenbrand/Elfhelm "Triple E" deck.  "Ride of the Es?"  

Anyway.

In the groups I play in, losing the Elfhelm ally would not make a splash.  He's a solid ally, but the people I play with make Rohan questing decks, and combat is well-handled by other deck.  If Elfhelm is questing, you don't get his ability, at which point he's an overcosted 2-willpower quester wit no frills.  

I like this hero, but I can't say he really inspires me to build new decks.

Don't forget the enemy doesn't have to be in play! You can blank a Dol Guldur Nazgul so it stays out of play eternally.

You can blank some wargs who you saw 8 rounds ago, or an Attercop, Attercop to stay in the staging area, a jealous traitor, some Ring-greedy Nazguls, some Oathbreaker with the Phantom keyword in FotW, inmediate attack guys, aditional shadow guys, cannot optionally engage guys, deal damage guys, raise threat guys, random discard guys...

And the best part of it:remember who's the hero in The Long Dark!

Don't forget the enemy doesn't have to be in play! You can blank a Dol Guldur Nazgul so it stays out of play eternally.

You can blank some wargs who you saw 8 rounds ago, or an Attercop, Attercop to stay in the staging area, a jealous traitor, some Ring-greedy Nazguls, some Oathbreaker with the Phantom keyword in FotW, inmediate attack guys, aditional shadow guys, cannot optionally engage guys, deal damage guys, raise threat guys, random discard guys...

And the best part of it:remember who's the hero in The Long Dark!

You can't target a card that is not in play.

Quest basically has you looking for the guardian with the key first, and then you have to find the right Temple of the Deceived. Locations in the staging area are any of four locations directly North, South, East, and West of your current location as you travel through the map. 

I don't want to sound ungreatful, I'm just curious - what's so hard about rotating them correctly? =O

I rotate them, but when I copy and paste them into here, it has a mind of its own! I'm sure I'm just not doing it correctly, so sorry again.