Sign in to follow this  
JimbonX

My top 5 worst ships in X-Wing miniature for 100p match.

5. M3-A - It's a A-Wing with horrible stats and almost no upgrade slots. It's so bad that no one plays them at all. Not even in epic. Might say it's worse then Z-95.

4. T-65 X-Wing. Suppose to be one of the galaxies best ship. It's not, it's ****. Has no barrel roll or boost. Cost so much points, that you almost can't equip it with anything - not even a astromech. Also, B-Wing has taken the T-65s roll.

3. Tie Punisher. Suppose to punish you but does the opposite. No elitslot so it can't use deadeye for torpedoes. Low skilled pilots. Has a lot of slots it can't use do to the ship been expensive. Horrible stats.

2. Hwk... Palob and Roark are probably the only Hwks worth using. Horrible stats on everything - Hull, Green and Red dice. Bad maneuver. Only plus side is that it's a good support ship and only that.

1. E-Wing. Suppose to be a mix of T-65 and A-Wing. It's none of that. Overpriced ship that is so expensive to use it's not worth using it, accept Corran. Has no boost so Autothruster is out of the league. Low Hull and shield makes this ship a gamble no one dares to use.

5. M3-A - It's a A-Wing with horrible stats and almost no upgrade slots. It's so bad that no one plays them at all. Not even in epic. Might say it's worse then Z-95.

I would say that this ship struggled before the last wave.  One Heavy with Ion Cannon wasn't too bad, but hard to fit into a list.  Attani Mindlink has made the ship pretty viable recently, though.  It's like having PTL on it.  I still think it needs something, but it's not horrible.  I know some people won Store Championships with them in their lists.  They aren't horrible.  

Oh, and if you haven't seen it in Epic, then people aren't that smart.  It's fantastic for Epic with Mangler Cannons.  You can get a ton of those guys for not that many points.  They can light up an Epic ship with critical hits and cause a real nightmare.  

4. T-65 X-Wing. Suppose to be one of the galaxies best ship. It's not, it's ****. Has no barrel roll or boost. Cost so much points, that you almost can't equip it with anything - not even a astromech. Also, B-Wing has taken the T-65s roll.

Haven't people placed in Top 8 in a couple Regionals lately with T-65's in their list.  Integrated Astromech has made them equals to the B-wing in jousting efficiency, as well.  

3. Tie Punisher. Suppose to punish you but does the opposite. No elitslot so it can't use deadeye for torpedoes. Low skilled pilots. Has a lot of slots it can't use do to the ship been expensive. Horrible stats.

People have won or placed high in numerous Store Championships with it.  I'll agree it's not the greatest.  I guess if something has to be near the bottom, I wouldn't argue that this ship would be down there.  Some people have rocked it and I'm not saying it's useless, but if some ship has to be near the bottom, then this is it.

I will contest that you say "low skilled pilots".  Umm.....PS 6 and 7 is not what I would call "low".  Sure, it's not PS 9, but "low" to me equates to PS 1-3.  Mid-PS means 4-6 (though I could see 7).  High PS means PS 7, 8 and 9.  Maybe you mean no High PS pilots?  I can see someone saying PS 7 isn't high.  

2. Hwk... Palob and Roark are probably the only Hwks worth using. Horrible stats on everything - Hull, Green and Red dice. Bad maneuver. Only plus side is that it's a good support ship and only that.

Someone just went 6-0 at Tatooine with 4 HWKs.  I don't think you can say it's a bad ship.  

1. E-Wing. Suppose to be a mix of T-65 and A-Wing. It's none of that. Overpriced ship that is so expensive to use it's not worth using it, accept Corran. Has no boost so Autothruster is out of the league. Low Hull and shield makes this ship a gamble no one dares to use.

OK....I won't argue with non-Corran E-wings.  Etahn can be very useful in non-100 pt games, but he's not worth it in regular games that I've seen.  I'd put the non-corran E-wings at the bottom.  

Haven't people placed in Top 8 in a couple Regionals lately with T-65's in their list.  Integrated Astromech has made them equals to the B-wing in jousting efficiency, as well.

Not only with T65s but with a triple-X-wing list (Wes, Biggs and Wedge I think). It is worth noting that they are named pilots and all have abilities that transcend the weaknesses of the T65 platform. I agree that the generics are not great although IA has gone some way to boost the humble X-wing. The only problem is IA also boosted the T70 which is arguably better value.

In tournaments, I often see a lot of named pilots and relatively few generics. A-wing and Tie fighter generics seem very popular, as are Scouts. I suspect Lothal Rebel will be joining that list too.

Edited by Karhedron

Please do not feed the trolls. While not as bad as PGS, please do not let them reproduce.

how do trolls reproduce?

because it sure as hell ain't sexually

at least, I hope not

ever seen a jellyfish reproduce? Trolls are similar, they just lay dormant under a bridge and little troll-lings just slowly start to grow off of them, until they're big enough to survive. if we cut off the food supply they'll be unable to sustain the life leading ot the inevitable death of the main troll.

In tournaments, I often see a lot of named pilots and relatively few generics. A-wing and Tie fighter generics seem very popular, as are Scouts. I suspect Lothal Rebel will be joining that list too.

True, but those are really the only generics you ever see in tournaments.  

The popularity (or lack thereof) of generics gives a good indication of the baseline capabilities of the ship. Compared to that, a lot of ships are overcosted but arguably with under-costed pilot abilities.

I think Gamma Veterans will join the list of popular generics once they arrive but that is just a hunch.

The popularity (or lack thereof) of generics gives a good indication of the baseline capabilities of the ship. Compared to that, a lot of ships are overcosted but arguably with under-costed pilot abilities.

I think Gamma Veterans will join the list of popular generics once they arrive but that is just a hunch.

Perhaps a better conversation to have here is what generics seem to be lacking in this game and to give reasons why they are not seen in competitive play.

It's that damned regeneration; cut one in half, and eventually you'll get two of them.

Don't fire and acid damage negate the regeneration?

That could lead to flame wars and a caustic player community, though.

That's been part of the problem.  The Internet Troll is a variant that feeds of fire.  The intent of the Internet Troll is to start a flame war that will feed it for months.  

I would say that this ship struggled before the last wave.  One Heavy with Ion Cannon wasn't too bad, but hard to fit into a list.  Attani Mindlink has made the ship pretty viable recently, though.  It's like having PTL on it.  I still think it needs something, but it's not horrible.  I know some people won Store Championships with them in their lists.  They aren't horrible. 

People have won or placed high in numerous Store Championships with it.  I'll agree it's not the greatest.  I guess if something has to be near the bottom, I wouldn't argue that this ship would be down there.  Some people have rocked it and I'm not saying it's useless, but if some ship has to be near the bottom, then this is it.

Someone just went 6-0 at Tatooine with 4 HWKs.  I don't think you can say it's a bad ship.  

Holy unsubstantiated claims Batman!

Attani Mindlink has made the ship pretty viable recently, though.

I mean, has it? This one doesn't even have the 'well I saw someone win a game with a T-65 so that means it's ok' argument going for it.

Nope. This is wrong. 100% false. Not true.

And oh boy, Biggs was in a list that 2 Regionals worldwide. Guess that means the T-65 is fixed. Oh wait...

People have won or placed high in numerous Store Championships with it.

You heard it here first: The TIE Punisher can be flown so the rest of the list can win low level tournaments! THIS MEANS SOMETHING APPARENTLY

And what happened on Day 2 when they faced lists that were actually good? :/

Honestly, if your only argument that ships like the T-65, Scyk et al. are fine is that sometimes very good players are able to win games with them, you really need to stop arguing. 

I don't get why people are bashing this guy. Nothing about this topic seems trolly or whiny. He has a list of the 5 worst ships in the game and he's posted his thoughts. We can now take his points and discuss them as Heychadwick has done, or we can counter with our own bottom-5. But why is it okay to tell the OP the topic is stupid and nobody asked and we don't want to hear it? That seems unwelcoming and hurtful to the community.

For what it's worth, I think Scyks are fun to fly. Watching them get taken out in a single hit has become a trope that makes me laugh. So yeah, they probably aren't the best, but I do enjoy them. They may not be in the tournament scene, but I'm glad they were created and look forward to seeing them get better in the future.

@jimmius: OK....I'm sensing some hostility that I'm not sure where it's coming from.  Not sure where that's coming from, but I'll be happy to discuss your replies.

First off...the Original Poster comments on what he considers the worst ships in a 100 pt game.  He's not talking about what is winning Worlds or anything.  So, commenting on ships that won a Store Championship and it being a low level event are confusing to me.  I'm not arguing what is going to win National events or what is hyper competitive at the best tables in the game.  I'm talking about ships that I don't think are bad ones to take in a 100 pt game.  If someone can win a SC with a Tie Punisher, I don't think you can say that the ship is horrible for a 100 pt game....unless you are wanting to only discuss what's taken at super high level events.  That, though, is a different conversation.  

As for Attani Mindlink and the Scyk....I have read a few reports of people using them at Regionals and doing fairly well with them.  Oh, they didn't make the top tables, but I don't think winning more games than you lost at a Regionals to be a bad deal.  I wouldn't say that they are terrible ships.  I can't recall full exact details as to who it was and what their game record was, but I didn't think it was fully relevant to bust out all the stats for evidence.  Once again, I'm not sure exactly what would constitute "proof" to you for something not being terrible.  

I know Majorjuggler re-did his math-wing formulas recently, but before he did, I recall him saying on a podcast that the jousting efficiency of the X-wing was right around the B-wing.  I don't recall the exact podcast or episode.  Perhaps it has changed with his recent formula.  I haven't checked.  It's quite possible that it's changed and I'm wrong now, but it wasn't the case before.  

As for X-wings being in Regionals, it was more than just Biggs being in lists that did fairly well at Regionals.  Let me dig through the Regionals reporting thread.

Billings, Montana, United States
June 11
Winner
  • Dan Hars (#5 Swiss, 20 / 714)
    • Corran Horn/Veteran Instincts/R2-D2/Fire Control Systems
    • Wes Janson/Veteran Instincts/R3-A2/Integrated Astromech
    • Biggs Darklighter/R4-D6/Integrated Astromech
Wangara, Western Australia
June 5
Top 4
  • Rhys Katich (#7 Swiss)
    • Wes Janson + Draw Their Fire + R2-D2 + Integrated Astromech
    • Biggs Darklighter + R4-D6 + Integrated Astromech
    • Gold Squadron Pilot + Ion Cannon Turret + R3-A2 + BTL-A4 Y-Wing
    • Prototype Pilot + Chardaan Refit

Valencia, Spain
June 5

Top 8

David Diez (#7 Swiss)

• Wes Janson + Adaptability + BB-8 + Integrated astromech
  • Biggs Darklighter + R4-D6 + Integrated astromech
  • Gold Squadron Pilot + R3-A2 + TLT + title
  • Bandit squadon + Homing missiles + guidance chips

I could keep going through he list to find more, but it's a bit boring.  Once again, I'm not sure what you would be satisfied with to consider something "viable".  

As for going 6-0 the first day at Tatooine....I don't know how you can think that he didn't face a single "list that was actually good".  From what I was reading, the list does very well against Imperial Aces, but does poorly vs. U-boats.  To say that such a list is "not good" for a 100 pt game is stretching it a bit.  

Well, in any ranking system something has to be at the bottom.  Doesn't mean they're unplayable, but by definition something has to be worst.

I don't think the T-65 should be in the list, though,  Hard to see how that gets there when the Starviper and TIE Bomber don't.

I do get that and perhaps we should be arguing what should be at the bottom.

I, for one, would never put the Tie Bomber on the bottom 5!  That is an amazing ship that can dish out the damage.  It's got a good dial and with the new stuff in Imperial Vets, it's going to be even better. 

I'll have to think about what I would consider the worst 5 ships.  

Well, in any ranking system something has to be at the bottom.  Doesn't mean they're unplayable, but by definition something has to be worst.

I don't think the T-65 should be in the list, though,  Hard to see how that gets there when the Starviper and TIE Bomber don't.

I do get that and perhaps we should be arguing what should be at the bottom.

I, for one, would never put the Tie Bomber on the bottom 5!  That is an amazing ship that can dish out the damage.  It's got a good dial and with the new stuff in Imperial Vets, it's going to be even better. 

I'll have to think about what I would consider the worst 5 ships.  

Everyone has their favourites - I love Punisher (Redline, at least) and would always put that ahead of the Bomber in any list. 

It also begs questions whether you're considering pilots in here, which I think you have to.  The T-65 is a great example of a pretty average platform that has some stellar pilot abilities, and that puts it ahead of something like the Khiraxz, which is basically the same ship for 1pt less but has far worse pilot abilities.

Edited by Stay On The Leader

@jimmius: OK....I'm sensing some hostility that I'm not sure where it's coming from.  Not sure where that's coming from, but I'll be happy to discuss your replies.

I always enjoy the polite way you do it...

You+got+knocked+the+fuck+out+biatch_3488

And, you're right.  Looking at just one (or a few) tournaments does not give us the totality of a ship's value.  The fact that there are those that win flying ships that "typically" do not illustrates that this game is much more about the player than the pieces they are using.  The top players often use unconventional lists that they have practiced.  Simple and effective lists are commonly seen because many do not have the time or mental fortitude to do well with more complex lists.  Often in big events, whoever makes the least amount of mistakes wins.