Sign in to follow this  
err404

3D printed Command Tray

This my new design for a 3D printed command tray that was design to hold all of your ship components with a minimal footprint. I have printed several prototypes and they work very well. It has space for all of your tokens and up to 15 damage/upgrade cards. As well as counter for your total damage. Links below.

Shapeways:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/TXANPC342/full-armada-ship...

Thingiverse:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1627165

Possibly a bit harder. The goal was reduce the table footprint without impacting functionality too much. There will be some compromise in view ability for any solution beyond full face up on the table.

On the bright side, since the ship is consolidated into a single frame, it is easily to move it anywhere for your oppenent to see it. To a certain extent it is easier to move the whole tray than for your oppenent to look across a 4 foot table to read an upside down card.

Because its Shapeways.  And Shapeways pricings have almost nothing to do with reasonable.

Its not a knock against the Designer.  That's shapeways.

be -VERY- thankful that the Designer in this case, has graced us with a Thingiverse link, therefore distributing the design for free...  This will allow you to source a local printing option, which may be much closer.

Because its Shapeways.  And Shapeways pricings have almost nothing to do with reasonable.

Its not a knock against the Designer.  That's shapeways.

be -VERY- thankful that the Designer in this case, has graced us with a Thingiverse link, therefore distributing the design for free...  This will allow you to source a local printing option, which may be much closer.

So. . .  I am getting an OLO printer. . .  I wonder if this could be made in sections and hollowed out to use less resin. . .  

Lyraeus- don't worry about hollowing the model. All of my models are proper solids meaning that your software will hollow it out automatically and yield better results. I'm not sure of the build volume of the OLO, but since it is limited by your screen size, even sliced up you may have trouble. But it is certainly worth trying once you get it. This model actually started out as three pieces, but one piece just works better if you want to move it around. The black photo is of the early three part prototype.

The model is sized to fit a Flash Forge Creator clone. Many Prusa printers also have a large enough print bed to do one piece.

I am very aware of the high pricing on Shapeways, which is why I post to Thingiverse. Shapeways is very convenient for me to make something available quickly. But the why I see it, it's not a lost sale if the customer doesn't think it worth the price.

That said, I am looking into other avenues to get the price down for those without access to printers.

err404, not to derail your excellent 3d object subject, and certainly not to start a discussion on 3d printers, but at the highest level what do you use or what would be a good consumer 3d printer to print items such as this? I've been pondering getting a 3d printer for a while but have yet to dip my toe into the (3d) pool! :P

err404, not to derail your excellent 3d object subject, and certainly not to start a discussion on 3d printers, but at the highest level what do you use or what would be a good consumer 3d printer to print items such as this? I've been pondering getting a 3d printer for a while but have yet to dip my toe into the (3d) pool! :P

3D printers have plummeted in cost in the last year or so. The PRUSA i3 printers are a great value and will print most models great in PLA. However since they are not enclosed, ABS may be tricky to get good results. The difference between PLA and ABS plastic won't matter for these type of models. ABS is better for stronger, load bearing parts or parts subject to high temps like the inside of a car in the summer. If I had to recommend a printer right now, I would say the Qidi tech. It is a Flash Forge Pro clone with a fully enclosed build space (it also has dual extruders, but that is less useful than you might think)

FDM printer will struggle with small detailed parts like the tokens, for those models, a more expensive SLA printer does a much better job.