Sign in to follow this  
saxcloud

What to buy for Rebels

I have a small imperial fleet 7 small ship, I wish to buy for the equivalent of 2 blister to add up for a small rebel fleet for entry game . I have the xwing from the red starter, I was thinking on buy rebel aces, with a few addons I should reach easily 100 points , or alternatively a kwing and bwing or second xwing. What you suggest ? For comparison my imperial fleet is comprised of

2 starter tie plus tie expansion

Imperial aces

Phantom tie

Tie advanced( you couldn't do an imperial fleet without Vader!)

And I am going to buy a tie interceptor expansion ( the one with soontir fel)

So which ones should. Buy?

Well, the Millennium Falcon is certainly iconic, and flies quite a bit differently from most of the rest of what you have.  It's...kinda powerful.  You might want to pick up the TIE Advanced Prototype, then, to have the Inquisitor on hand to balance things out.  (And since I'm assuming you are thinking mostly of casual play - printing out a couple copies of autothrusters.  Both the TIE Advanced Prototype and TIE Interceptor need that upgrade BADLY, and it so far only comes in the Scum's Starviper expansion)

Rebel Aces is a nice expansion, the A-wing in particular is a great little ship that can be outfitted in several ways. With Ordnance becoming more useful, the B-wing is pretty good too.

All the Rebel large base ships (Falcon, Outrider and Ghost) are pretty powerful and fun to play as well although they are all distinctly different from one another.

The T70 X-wing (from The Force Awakens) is much better than the original T65 and only 3 points more. If you want to get another X-wing, I would get the T70 expansion. It also comes with the Integrated Astromech upgrade which works on the T65 as well as the T70. Red Ace with R2-D2 and Integrated Astromech is one of my favourite pilots.

Anyway yes, millennium falcon is a candidate too it's more or less like Vader ;)

Hummm I understand t70 with boost and additional shield for only 3pt more is good, but are there useful card in the t65 blister? Btw I wish to collect ALSO a rebel fleet but as second choice....

I'm going to see what I found in that order

Interceptor as 1st or inquisitor

Rebel aces or millennium, or two blister (k and x wing maybe)

So in any case, considering I have only the basic red box t65 in the dire eventuality I should buy a t-65 or t70?

Hummm I understand t70 with boost and additional shield for only 3pt more is good, but are there useful card in the t65 blister? Btw I wish to collect ALSO a rebel fleet but as second choice....

I do not think there are any "must-have" cards in the T65 blister. Wedge is OK and the 2 astromechs are alright but there is nothing outstanding in there.

Interceptor as 1st or inquisitor

Both are really good. Soontir Fel + the upgrades from Imperial Aces is one of the strongest ships in the game but the Inquisitor is very good too and cheaper.

Both really need the Autothrusters card though and this can only be found in the StarViper blister. At least the blister does come with 2 Autothruster cards which should be enough for most games.

Rebel aces or millennium, or two blister (k and x wing maybe)

So in any case, considering I have only the basic red box t65 in the dire eventuality I should buy a t-65 or t70?

Rebel Aces and the Falcon are both really good expansions. It just depends whether you prefer 1 big ship or 2 smaller ones.

If you want another X-wing, get the T70 IMHO. Better ship and better upgrade cards. The K-wing is OK but not the easiest ship to learn with.

it would be remiss if I didn't put a word in for my favourite ship - the Y-Wing 

it's a bit of a tanky plodder and a lot of the cards that make it shine (BTL-A4 Title - Bomb Loadout - R3 A2 - Twin Laser Turret etc ) are found in other expansions - but it's one of the most versatile ships in the game  - it's a superb jouster, a turret platform, a bomber, a Torpedo platform, a control and area denial ship, and even capable of some limited support roles

Rebel Aces and Millennium Falcon are the most obvious choices right now. The generics from Aces are decent enough, and you have what you need to run decently competitive builds of Jake, Keyan, Han and Chewie, and, when you decide to get a K-Wing, Nera. The K-Wing and the T-70 are also both playable out of the box, and give you tools to make turrets and bombers, as well as Integrated Astromech for your T-65s. You'll also want a TIE Adv. Prototype for a Guidance Chips card, though.

Irritatingly there is no way to pick up any Autothrusters without getting a Starviper, though. Maybe you could just go without for casual games and borrow one for a tournament, though.

Just a random thought, Heroes of the Resistance is coming out some time this year (allegedly) and includes a Falcon and a T70 X-wing. If you are looking to keep your purchases to a minimum, maybe get Rebel Aces now and then pick up Heroes down the line for your Falcon/T70.

Edited by Karhedron

Hmm.... I know you definitely don't want the T-65 Expansion unless your heart is dead set on Wedge. The upgrades in the pack aren't great. For best budget. I would say rebel aces and a Falcon. That falcon has some really great upgrades and is a pretty good ship on its own. Elussiveness, Veteran Instincts., Draw their Fire, these are all great with some of the ships from the Core and some from the Rebel Aces. I know Aces was one of the first things I bought and it was very pleasant. It's not perfect but you have some good options. Best of luck.

Rebel Aces gets you two good Rebel ships, even though you don't get all the pilots.  I always like Y-wings as they have a lot of options these days.  If you are playing entry games then you don't need to worry about the whole tournament scene.  X-wings and Tie Fighters are good against each other.  Getting more X-wings is thematic and not a bad option.  Remember that the single blisters always have more pilots than the other packs.  

K-wings are not a bad option, either.  

The big, turreted ships will help you get to 100 pts fast, but I tend to prefer the smaller ships.  

So at the moment, other that interceptor or inquisitor atm my priority is to begin a rebel fleet millennium or aces are my priority. Just in case I can buy two of these ships

K wing

T70 (65 if cannot find the 70)

B wing

Y wing

I aM going to a con on Sunday 19 so I will see what I found. Millennium has few upgrade which can benefit imperial fleet too corect?

Well, one of the next buy will be starvyper... Cost less than buy the thruster on internet.....

Millennium has few upgrade which can benefit imperial fleet too corect?

Yes, Veteran Instincts and Engine Upgrade are both very popular upgrades in Imperial lists too.

Well, one of the next buy will be starvyper... Cost less than buy the thruster on internet.....

Good idea. If you really do not want the ship itself, you might be able to sell it on eBay without the Autothrusters for a few pounds/dollars to recoup some costs.

I aM going to a con on Sunday 19 so I will see what I found. Millennium has few upgrade which can benefit imperial fleet too corect?

Engine Upgrade is a good card in the Falcon.

The Starviper is a good ship that you can use for Scum.  I don't know why it gets such a bad rep.  

E-wing is pretty terrible. It feels like it needs the Defender treatment to me. Costs an arm and a leg for a "better" xwing, which isnt saying much considering how bad xwings are.

Corran is only good because he can doublestrike to potentially finish a ship off or effectively reduce his "disengage time loss" because he cant shoot next round anyway while he disengages. Ive seen him do some work, but it always feels forced and unnatural when it happens.

Falcon used to be "the" rebel ship. Fat Han is what the build is called and he used to utterly dominate the game. Not...so much anymore. I actually get more mileage out of Han with cheapo builds and a better second ship rather than pumping all the points into him. Heh, i ran him as a bumpership saturday with jammers...that was oddly effective since he was nowhere near as deadly as the Awings hiding behind him but the jamming device really pissed my opponent off :D