Sign in to follow this  
juxstapo

TIE Striker speculation

Yes, it's entirely too soon to say, and yes, I experienced some not-mild nerd irritation at how derivative of EU designs this thing was... (I hate it when I forget to bolt on the top solar panel of my Phatom, don't you?), but I elected to mature my way out of it and figure .oO(Welp, at least we'll get another TIE variant for X-Wing)Oo.

Sooo another 2 Atk, 3 Agi ... priced a scooch between a TIE/Ln and /In perhaps? We're in the Viet-Nam era of SW, so I would think "no" to a systems upgrade slot, and certainly no tech slot. Which that extended almost-bomber-esque fuselage has got to count for something.

Hell, it wouldn't be incredibly "unique"... but using that extended hull to basically add a munitions rack to a standard TIE would suit me alright, for the sake of options. (2 Atk, 3 Agi, 3 Hull, 0 Sh, Torpedo slot?) and would go in hand with the burst damage alluding "striker" title. Not that we know for certain that name or this design is finalized.

Standard TIE ball, 2 Phantom panels, and a snipped off bomber chassis. Mocking this thing up would be fun, just not something I'd invest the minis in. :)  (Mel?)

...yea, yea, you rebs get another one too.

leaked-rogue-one-art-reveals-character-n

leaked-rogue-one-art-reveals-character-n

Edited by juxstapo

The TIE Striker looks like it's got the usual 2 lasers underneath the viewport along with two more lasers on the underside of the hull. What I'm wondering is, are those bottom lasers a turret or are they fixed forward? Seeing as the Striker is at least partly intended to fight in an atmosphere, it wouldn't surprise me if those lasers can at the very least angle downward for strafing in level flight instead of having to go into a dive. As for other weapons, well I don't see any missile tubes and it doesn't have an obvious bomb chute like the TIE Bomber, but there has to be some reason for the elongated hull.

As for the U-wing, personally I hope that bottom section is modular. A rapid delivery vehicle for an infantry squad that doubles as a fighter is interesting, but it's situational. If the troop compartment can be swapped out for torpedo launchers or bombs, that would make it a lot more versatile. Kind of like the TIE Bomber to TIE Shuttle conversion in reverse.

The striker has a turret.

Nightmare scenario: some SFX dweeb at Disney thinks "turrets are cool".

Every fighter from this point forward has a turret on it!

(I mean, heck, half the reason the Y-Wing didn't have a functioning turret in the first Star Wars movie...although it was clearly in the design...was that animating it with physical models and sets would have simply taken too much time to be worth it.  Not a consideration at all when everything is CGI!)

The striker has a turret.

Nightmare scenario: some SFX dweeb at Disney thinks "turrets are cool".

Every fighter from this point forward has a turret on it!

(I mean, heck, half the reason the Y-Wing didn't have a functioning turret in the first Star Wars movie...although it was clearly in the design...was that animating it with physical models and sets would have simply taken too much time to be worth it.  Not a consideration at all when everything is CGI!)

You know what xwing really needs? More hyper maneuverable freighters with turrets!

I sure hope we get a new yt model in Rogue One. /s

Apparently Han replaced the octagonal radar dish on the Falcon with a circular one some time around 1BBY

Huh, I heard the original dish shape was non-euclidean.  'course, back then, the ship was named the Millennium Fhtagn, so a new dish for the new name seemed appropriate...

Apparently Han replaced the octagonal radar dish on the Falcon with a circular one some time around 1BBY

Huh, I heard the original dish shape was non-euclidean.  'course, back then, the ship was named the Millennium Fhtagn, so a new dish for the new name seemed appropriate...

THE STARS ARE RIGHT!

If it's even a starfighter the text says it's an air superiority fighter so it may be a speeder and so won't make it into x-wing.

Or it'll spell the dawn of X-Wing Atmospheric Battles.

Did I just type that?

You hate me now don't you.

Nah a spin off game with speeders would be cool they just don't fit in x-wing.

That's a very fast ship, faster than the A-Wing and the TIE Interceptor, so boost is mandatory.

It is carried by Star Destroyers, so it should fly in space.

If the lower guns actually rotate (hope they do), this could have a turret (or 360º main attack), which would make sense because of how the wings are positioned.

Doesn't look like it brings ordnance, unless the upper "guns" are actually missile launchers (like the TIE Defender).

It's an older design, so I hope no system slot (and maybe no shields).

I would prefer that the Mouse canonized more Legends TIE designs, but this one is interesting.

Edited by Odanan

If it had a turret, we're saying goodbye to the TIE aggressor once and for all.

This would make me pretty sad, because it was a much cleaner design.

Maybe they'll call it an APL style effect, but who can tell until the movie is out? We risk muddled lore all over again. Hooray. :(

That's a very fast ship, faster than the A-Wing and the TIE Interceptor, so boost is mandatory.

If the lower guns actually rotate (hope they do), this could have a turret (or 360º main attack), which would make sense because of how the wings are positioned.

Doesn't look like it brings ordnance, unless the upper "guns" are actually missile launchers (like the TIE Defender).

It an older design, so I hope no system slot (and maybe no shields).

I would prefer that the Mouse canonized more Legends TIE designs, but this one is interesting.

Star destroyers carry At-AT's they can't fly in space.

And top guns on the defender are the ion cannons the missiles are the cockpit mounted weapons.

And top guns on the defender are the ion cannons the missiles are the cockpit mounted weapons.

That's what Odanan is talking about. He said maybe the upper guns (the ones directly below the cockpit) are actually missile launchers like in the TIE Defender.

We will see, but I doubt they will make this ship atmospheric-only. 

Regardless, FFG will certainly add it to the game anyway.

A seperate, though compatible, ground game would be awesome.

The sheer number of people online that have done custom games, would seem it would sell well.

Plus, the gozanti can carry two AT-AT's, so the scale is doable.

At scale that would put a person at just over a quarter inch.  So, I would have to disagree.  The scale is not doable for a ground game.  At least if you want to have troopers.  Which I do.  Which is why I also play imperial assault, which doesn't allow the AT-AT because at scale it would be too big.  Which I also want.  Too sad for me. 

The sheer number of people online that have done custom games, would seem it would sell well.

At scale that would put a person at just over a quarter inch.  So, I would have to disagree.  The scale is not doable for a ground game.  At least if you want to have troopers.  Which I do.  Which is why I also play imperial assault, which doesn't allow the AT-AT because at scale it would be too big.  Which I also want.  Too sad for me.

I'd love a proper 28mm Star Wars wargame. And if they can fit a Warlord titan onto the table for 40K, they can certainly fit an AT-AT!

A seperate, though compatible, ground game would be awesome.The sheer number of people online that have done custom games, would seem it would sell well.Plus, the gozanti can carry two AT-AT's, so the scale is doable.

I'd love a proper 28mm Star Wars wargame. And if they can fit a Warlord titan onto the table for 40K, they can certainly fit an AT-AT!

There is a 28mm scaled model of the AT-AT. It was made by Wizards of the Coast- for their d20 based miniatures game. A frend used it a game of 40k against me once as a proxied titan and I killed it with infantry...I told him thankyou since it had been a dream to kill one of those in a models game.

Um you need to look up sclaed miniatures games...28mm is large-ish scale with people being about an inch to inch and half tall (or shorter). While there are many other smaller scale games, 15mm, 10mm, tiny 6mm, and tiny tiny 3mm. The people being the same scale as the Xwing miniatures game, would be about 15-10mm...so you'd have several people together, or a person on a base the size of a dime.

6mm gaming is totally a thing. Though I'd put my money on their running things at a mixed scale, with 10mm infantry and ~6mm vehicles. 10mm is enough to get some pretty usable detail on the dudes, while the scale wouldn't look too far off for the big stompers.

Ok, so being a panel away from being a Phantom originally bothered me too, but then I decided in my head canon that the Striker design helped inspire the design of the Tie Phantom. Cool right? Right? Anyone?

Well, it works for me.