TheHiveTyrant

The Lord of the Rings: the Card Game Progression Series (The Hive Tyrant)

What's cool about the fact the the started over again, it's that we will have videos until 2023 until they reach the present quests.  :D

In fairness, if I wouldn't have restarted the series from the beginning, I wouldn't have bothered doing a new series at all - so presuming that everyone enjoys these new videos, hopefully a bit of a nostalgia experience is better than nothing. But yeah, I totally understand it's less than ideal seeing a bunch of dated content.

I am so glad the Gandalf clip is still there :)

That... I start to find it annoying after the 30th time...  :(

The Gandalf clip is such a divisive thing. It's fascinating to read comments in which it's either lovingly - or scathingly - received, in these new videos.

I am so glad the Gandalf clip is still there :)

That... I start to find it annoying after the 30th time...  :(

I usually don't mind it and it is such a remarkable Thing for the Progression series, it wouldn't feel right for me, if left out. It are only these rare Moments when 3 sneak attack Gandalfs and a regular played one, 4 phases back to back, that it gets a Little much^^

I think that the most times it has ever appeared in one video (in the original series) was five, and yes, I agree that the gag can wear thin quickly. I'll try to show control and restraint when it comes to using the thing, as opposed to running it into the ground.

Edited by TheHiveTyrant

The community had long clamored for the return of the regrettably discontinued LOTR LCG Progression Series, so who was I to continue to deny them?

Today, Matthew​ and I *attempt* to conclude our coverage of the CORE set in one last video, by daring to venture into the dark, ominous tower of The Necromancer. With one of our brethren having been lead astray in Mirkwood and then abducted through foul magics, have we any hope to break into and subsequently Escape from Dol Guldur? Or, shall our fellowship fail, and will we join our lost comrade in being trapped, forever rotting in forgotten  dungeons?

Be sure to tune in, find out, and enjoy, and look forward to many more Progression Series episodes to come soon! I could scarcely be more pleased in having finally returned to the community, and could be no less excited about my bright future of producing many more LOTR LCG videos. Until next time, take care!

Ready far earlier than expected, I present another installment of the LOTR LCG Evaluation Series! Before testing our mettle against The Hunt for Gollum scenario, Matthew and I first seek to review and assess our very first Adventure Pack's new hero and player cards. Do share with us your own thoughts and experiences past and present in the comments, and enjoy!

As an aside - Matthew and I may not be able to release episodes in this series as often as we would like, but this new project has quickly become an absolute labor of love for he and I. We thank you for joining us on our new journey together, and hope you continue to enjoy our ongoing Progression Series for months and years to come!

Interesting series, watched the Anduin mission. I am assuming you guys are doing everything right, which means I was doing a few things wrong. I didn't think you could wait to discard cards for Eowyn's ability, that makes it SO much more powerful. Also some interesting combinations that I want to try out, great resource for a new player.

One thing I noticed though is that poor Mathew seems like he is getting QBed pretty hard by the other guy.. I know it's hard not to, especially when you want to talk for our benefit.. I find myself doing this to my own friend as well. Anyone have tips on how NOT to do that? Lol

Again really loving the card evaluation videos, it is great to see what your opinions are of cards.

Your comment about a new Bilbo... He really does deserve a new hero card that is costed appropriately.

Interesting series, watched the Anduin mission. I am assuming you guys are doing everything right, which means I was doing a few things wrong. I didn't think you could wait to discard cards for Eowyn's ability, that makes it SO much more powerful. Also some interesting combinations that I want to try out, great resource for a new player.

One thing I noticed though is that poor Mathew seems like he is getting QBed pretty hard by the other guy.. I know it's hard not to, especially when you want to talk for our benefit.. I find myself doing this to my own friend as well. Anyone have tips on how NOT to do that? Lol

You could adhere to the table talk rule in the rulebook pretty strictly. I sometimes find myself QB or alpha-gaming with my partner, instead of letting her figure out the best course of action on her own, because I'm more experienced at ccgs and such.

We've relaxed the table talk rule a lot, but at first we played with no talk allowed about what was in our hand, or what we could/planned to do. But, honestly, that's not quite as fun imo. I just have to remind myself to keep quiet when she's deciding stuff, unless she specifically asks me. I usually reply with "do what you think is the better option!" haha 

I find the best way to do this is to wait for them to come to a decision then put in your 2 cents worth.

Today, Matthew and I take on the first scenario of the Shadows of Mirkwood cycle! In an attempt to track down the whereabouts of the wretched and vilesome Gollum, we must first discover his trail – however, cunning hunters from Mordor will do their utmost to hinder and ruin us. Shall we succeed, and begin our pursuit of the villain in earnest? Or, shall our Fellowship be scattered and utterly broken? Be sure to tune in to find out, and please share with us your own experiences with The Hunt for Gollum in the comments!

Finally had time to watch the "Hunt for Gollum"-game. I think it perfectly showcases the entertaining parts as well as the annoying flaws the quests has in it's non-nightmare form (in NM many of the "delay-victory" cards are taken out iirc).

Well played :)

Hot off the digital presses, another installment of the Progression Series is live! Today, Matthew and I assess the new hero and player cards of Conflict at the Carrock. Be sure to share your past and present perspectives, opinions, and experiences with these new deck-building options in the comments, and enjoy!

It looks like Matthew and I had the poor fortune of revealing the worst encounter card of all, this afternoon! Technical difficulties :(

While I investigate this problem (and everyone's favorite host of the Progression Series looks into purchasing a new PC), I humbly request your patience and understanding if it takes a fair while longer than expected to successfully record our next LOTR LCG episode. Sorry, everybody! I can't wait for the day that this series finally falls into a regular schedule of production.

Rest assured, though, that neither he nor I are going anywhere! We shall see this series through, regardless of how long it may take us.

Edited by TheHiveTyrant

It looks like Matthew and I had the poor fortune of revealing the worst encounter card of all, this afternoon! Technical difficulties :(

While I investigate this problem (and everyone's favorite host of the Progression Series looks into purchasing a new PC), I humbly request your patience and understanding if it takes a fair while longer than expected to successfully record our next LOTR LCG episode. Sorry, everybody! I can't wait for the day that this series finally falls into a regular schedule of production.

Rest assured, though, that neither he nor I are going anywhere! We shall see this series through, regardless of how long it may take us.

You guys have Patreon, ya?

I just wanted to update everyone that the Progression Series has finally returned!

After a month-long hiatus because of broken computers and scheduling conflicts, Matthew and I just finished recording a 90-minute long video. Look forward to watching us play through Conflict at the Carrock soon, because it just might be our most entertaining video yet! From here on out, hopefully you can expect much, much more regular content. Thanks to everyone for your patience and understanding!

Having at last overcome our technical terrors, the Progression Series is finally back! Today, I welcome you to join Matthew and I as we attempt to answer the plight of Grimbeorn the Old.

Shall we succeed in expunging four vile and loathsome Trolls from the realm of the Beornings, or instead, shall we find ourselves minced, boiled, or just sat upon and squashed into jelly?

This is without a doubt the most fun Matthew and I have ever had while recording a video, so I do hope you tune in to find out. So, follow the link, take care, and enjoy the latest bit of nostalgia that the Progression Series has to offer!

Please share your own "Conflict at the Carrock" experiences in the YouTube comments, and I thank everyone again for their patience. Take care!

Edited by TheHiveTyrant

Spoiler warning!

I am glad you could fix your technical difficulties and hyped for the upcoming Content! The fun you had really Transfers to the viewer and so many "unusual" Things Happening during this match makes this one my personal favourite so far. Unexpected and unheard of hero deaths seem to be the Thing for the new Progression series and even though it's always sad and I can't say it wasn't entertaining :rolleyes:

It is still a Long way until this becomes relevant for the series, but do you already have plans for the LotR-Sagas in regards to playing campaign mode or not?

Spoiler warning!

I am glad you could fix your technical difficulties and hyped for the upcoming Content! The fun you had really Transfers to the viewer and so many "unusual" Things Happening during this match makes this one my personal favourite so far. Unexpected and unheard of hero deaths seem to be the Thing for the new Progression series and even though it's always sad and I can't say it wasn't entertaining :rolleyes:

It is still a Long way until this becomes relevant for the series, but do you already have plans for the LotR-Sagas in regards to playing campaign mode or not?

I'm very glad to hear that you enjoyed the latest installment so much! And I must say, for as anxious and worried as I get leading right up to recordings, I was delighted that the quest ended up going so well and that Matthew and I both had a spectacular time in the process. At the moment, Matthew and I have no plans to cover the Saga expansions in Campaign mode, but I could certainly see it happening eventually. At the moment, our plans are to cover all "normal difficulty" content in the order of its chronological release, with the exception being print on demand scenarios (like The Massing at Osgiliath), which will be inserted into the series when appropriate. Then, when Matthew and I someday exhaust all normal difficulty content, we'll kill time waiting for new expansions by releasing full card pool nightmare mode videos. If we catch up on everything, or just get bored, I could certainly envision tackling Campaign mode - and regardless, thanks for bringing it to my attention! Matthew and I had a bit of a chat about it this evening, and are still open to changing our tentative plans.

To help make up for the prolonged Progression Series absence, I'm pleased to already offer up another new video! Today, regale yourself with Matthew and I musing on the player cards from A Journey to Rhosgobel. As always, you're strongly encouraged to share your personal sentiments in the YouTube comments!

Which of these new deck-building options in our series are hits, and which do you consider misses? Which were superb in their day, and are any still useful at present? Do you agree with my appraisal and Matthew's, or could we scarcely be any less correct in severely undervaluing some of these cards?

I hope your enjoy hearing our thoughts - we look forward to yours - and until next episode, when we tackle the titular scenario, I wish you all well!

Today, learn all about the care of magical creatures in the latest installment of The Lord of the Rings: the Card Game Progression Series!

Do co-hosts Mitch and Matthew possess the speed and skill to save the grievously injured Wilyador from mortal wounds, or instead, shall they fail and lose one of Middle-earth's most beloved Eagles?

Be sure to tune to find out, and share your own opinions of and play experiences with "A Journey to Rhosgobel" in the YouTube comments. We always love to hear from you! Enjoy the video, take care, and I hope you enjoy your start to the weekend.

Though the year is approaching its close, the Progression Series is thriving!

Today, Matthew and I take pause during our ongoing search for the loathsome and abominable Gollum - and between each chapter of our perilous journey, it seems that we always encounter new allies. So, before we confront the imminently upcoming new challenge presented by our over-arching quest, please join us for our evaluation of the new player cards of The Hills of Emyn Muil!

Do you agree with my sentiments and Matthew's on each of these options, or do you find us to be unfairly kind or critical? What are your personal experiences with our new hero and player cards, and what are your own favorite combos therewith?

Do share your own opinions and perspective in the comments, and I hope you enjoy this new video. Take care, everybody, and I very much look forward to hearing from you!

Edited by TheHiveTyrant

Thanks for the great series - Today, a friend and I just started our own little OCTGN progression series (just epically failed Journey along the Anduin after drawing two hill trolls right at the beginning and holding off a storm of enemies, just to be, after finally embarking on the raft, finished off by a nasty suite of treacheries - very fun :) - we failed to bring any healing effects which turned out to be a bad choice ).

I have been thinking about what to do with scenarios that were released in-between cycles. In particular 1) when to play promotional scenarios, 2) when to add in cards from the Saga expansion, and 3) when to play Saga expansions.

It looks like you are skipping the promotional scenarios for now (As far as I know Massing at Osgiliath was released before the Hills of Emyn Muil). I guess in your old progression series you played that scenario after the entire Shadows of Mirkwood cycle. Reasonable - I can imagine it to be extremely luck dependent with a card pool just up to Rhosgobel (without Boromir etc.). I found it to be a (all be it fun) challenge even with cards up to Khazad Dum...

As for the Saga expansions, it could be a little odd to play the Hobbit 1, then Heirs of Numenor, then the Hobbit 2; or to play the Black Riders in the middle of the Against the Shadows cycle, then wait until the Road darkens was released in the middle of the Ringmaker etc. Especially if one wants to enjoy campaign mode. However, I guess one could expand the card pool at the correct times and continue playing the regular cycles?

In any case, for anyone who has been there, I was just wondering what your solutions and thoughts were on handling this issue .

Happy questing and thanks!

Edited by ParinorB