TheHiveTyrant

The Lord of the Rings: the Card Game Progression Series (The Hive Tyrant)

81 posts in this topic

Hello, viewers! My name is Mitch, and alongside co-host Matthew Dempsey, I'm pleased to announce the beginning of the new The Lord of the Rings: the Card Game Progression Series!

In this series of videos, Matthew and I intend to re-experience our favorite Living Card Game from its very beginning. Together, we will discuss and subsequently play through all available, official products and expansions for The Lord of the Rings: the Card Game sequentially, restricting ourselves to building decks using only player cards which were available to us at the time of each individual product’s original retail release. However, though Matthew and I will use only a limited card pool, we shall regardless adhere to all errata and rulings contained within the most up to date version of the official FAQ, hopefully making this series informative and entertaining to those players both new to the game and veteran alike.

All new videos in this series will be posted below!

Want to help someone learn how to play LOTR LCG? Please show them:

The Lord of the Rings: the Card Game - Complete Tutorial and How to Play Guide

To get in touch with Mitch, you can use any of the following forms of social media:
Facebook; Twitter; ConquestHiveTyrant@gmail.com

Want to support the Progression Series? Visit my Patreon!

To see what Matthew is up to, check out The Grey Company podcast, and be sure to contact him via their Facebook!
Edited by TheHiveTyrant
farealh, Calvadur, danpoage and 5 others like this

Updated August 13, 2017

The Lord of the Rings: the Card Game Progression Series Episodes

The CORE Set
Leadership (CORE) Player Card Review - Evaluation Series Episode #1
Tactics (CORE) Player Card Review - LOTR LCG Evaluation Series Episode #2
Lore (CORE) Player Card Review - LOTR LCG Evaluation Series Episode #4
Passage Through Mirkwood - LOTR LCG Progression Series Episode #1
Journey Along the Anduin - LOTR LCG Progression Series Episode #2
Escape from Dol Guldur - LOTR LCG Progression Series Episode #3

The Shadows of Mirkwood Cycle
The Hunt for Gollum Player Card Review - LOTR LCG Evaluation Series Episode #5
The Hunt for Gollum - LOTR LCG Progression Series Episode #4
Conflict at the Carrock Player Card Review - LOTR LCG Evaluation Series Episode #6
Conflict at the Carrock - LOTR LCG Progression Series Episode #5
A Journey to Rhosgobel Player Card Review - LOTR LCG Evaluation Series Episode #7
A Journey to Rhosgobel - LOTR LCG Progression Series Episode #6 The Dead Marshes - LOTR LCG Progression Series Episode #8
Return to Mirkwood Player Card Review - LOTR LCG Evaluation Series Episode #10
Return to Mirkwood - LOTR LCG Progression Series Episode #9
Shadows of Mirkwood - LOTR LCG Evaluation Series Episode #11

Print on Demand Scenarios
The Massing at Osgiliath - LOTR LCG Progression Series Episode #10

Khazad-dûm
Feedback, comments, and constructive criticism are always welcome, and be sure to suggest what kind of content you'd like to see coming out of this channel! Thank you for watching, and we appreciate your support and encouragement.
Edited by TheHiveTyrant
Adding an additional hyperlink
Gizlivadi, Calvadur, farealh and 1 other like this

Excellent video. If I had been Matthew I would have addressed the powerful Gloin decks that have popped out recently, but nonetheless it's utterly fantastic to have this series back and this first evaluation series was a great installment.

So great to have the Progression Series back again, thanks for doing this M&M!

Believe me, I'm absolutely thrilled to be back myself! I can scarcely believed I stayed away for so long, but now that I'm returned, it feels very, very good to be home. Thanks for watching!

Excellent video. If I had been Matthew I would have addressed the powerful Gloin decks that have popped out recently, but nonetheless it's utterly fantastic to have this series back and this first evaluation series was a great installment.

I'm very glad you enjoyed it! In his "defense," he was strongly discouraged from mentioning anything too specific about modern-day cards and deck-building ;) but I don't think that mentioning that would have been a bad idea at all. All the same, plenty of time to mention it in the future! After all, I think it may take at least a few videos to cover the past five years of LOTR LCG! So much to talk about. So excited to be back!

Edited by TheHiveTyrant
makoshark13 and Gizlivadi like this

Well looks like I might have to pick the game back up if Mitch is back. I stopped when you left COTR. Been thinking about picking it back up lately and if you are back in the community looks like I should!

TheHiveTyrant and Supertoe like this

After a great many unfortunate obstacles and delays, the second episode of The Lord of the Rings: the Card Game Progression Series is finally live! Today, Mitch and Matthew assess and evaluate the Tactics hero and player cards of the CORE set. Do engage with us by sharing your own personal thoughts, opinions, and memories of these cards in the comments, and enjoy our celebration of and throwback to the very beginnings of #LOTRLCG!

Well looks like I might have to pick the game back up if Mitch is back. I stopped when you left COTR. Been thinking about picking it back up lately and if you are back in the community looks like I should!

That's fantastic. I cannot recommend enough that you pick it up again! I'm going to need some company along this long, tireless journey of mine, and LOTR LCG seems just as enthralling as ever it was when I tragically left it behind. So, best wishes to you! And should you decide to return yourself, here's hoping you enjoy your continued adventures in Middle-earth.

Edited by TheHiveTyrant
Ecthelion III likes this

Mitch, just wanted to let you know Im so glad you've come back.  I started to play the game around when you left and your videos were honestly what inspired me to love this game as much as I do.  I will be closely following your videos closely and once more cannot express in words how glad I am that you're coming back to play lotr lcg!  You're the best!

TheHiveTyrant likes this

The latest installment of the Lord of the Rings: the Card Game Progression Series is live! Today, co-hosts Mitch and Matthew sit down to deconstruct the Spirit sphere of influence contents of the CORE set. I hope you enjoy our discussion, and be sure to share your own thoughts, opinions, and memories of these in the comments!

Mazarbul and Gizlivadi like this

Mitch, just wanted to let you know Im so glad you've come back.  I started to play the game around when you left and your videos were honestly what inspired me to love this game as much as I do.  I will be closely following your videos closely and once more cannot express in words how glad I am that you're coming back to play lotr lcg!  You're the best!

Oh gosh, I totally missed this comment! Thank you so much for your extraordinarily kind words, and I'm honestly overjoyed to have finally returned to the community. I'm flattered you liked the original Progression Series so much, but look forward to many, many more shared journeys in Middle-earth together in the future! Thanks tons for watching, and being a part of this experience. It's comments like this that make the whole endeavor so rewarding!

Today, Matthew and I conclude our player card evaluation of the Lord of the Rings: the Card Game CORE set! On the agenda for this video is Lore, and as always, be sure to share your own thoughts, opinion, perspective, and experience with any or all of these cards in the comments! Plus, with our CORE set now covered, you can look forward to our first several scenario play-throughs to come soon.

Note: I must sincerely apologize for the reduced audio quality of this video. Matthew's recording unintentionally contained a significant amount of crackling and popping, and my efforts at noise removal and reduction have significantly affected his vocal fidelity. Hopefully this is just a one-time issue, and that you still find some redeeming value herein.

Also, if you've yet to check out The Hive Tyrant on iTunes or SoundCloud, these Progression Series episodes are also available in audio-only format! So, I appreciate your understanding, and hope you enjoy. Take care!

Today, Matthew and I conclude our player card evaluation of the Lord of the Rings: the Card Game CORE set! On the agenda for this video is Lore, and as always, be sure to share your own thoughts, opinion, perspective, and experience with any or all of these cards in the comments!

My favorite sphere. Can't wait to check this one out!

TheHiveTyrant likes this

After far too many weeks of waiting, I present the latest installment of the Lord of the Rings: the Card Game Progression Series! Today, Matthew and I tackle the first quest of the CORE set - Passage Through Mirkwood - and things could scarcely go any more unexpectedly. So, here's hoping you enjoy the first scenario playthrough episode of our series, and look forward to more entries in this ongoing project in the future!

Note: scheduling between he and I has been much more difficult than anticipated, but rest assured that this series shall remain a permanent project. Take care, and do leave your thoughts and feedback in the comments!

Gizlivadi and tomtom like this

Another episode of the Lord of the Rings: the Card Game Progression Series is live! Today, Matthew and I continue onward from Mirkwood in exploring the trio of scenarios from the CORE set. This time, we tackle Journey Along the Anduin! Will our first encounter with a Hill Troll end in victory, or catastrophe?

Be sure to tune in, find out, and enjoy! I'd forgotten both how much fun *and* how much effort entries in this series are to produce, though I hope you're entertained by this new video. Matthew and I certainly had a blast while recording it! So take care, and look forward to many more future episodes to come.

After the "Mirkwood Disaster" it's good to see a clean victory. I was about to shake my head until Mitch pulled that Hasty Stroke near the end!

Edited by Gizlivadi
TheHiveTyrant likes this

I am so glad the Gandalf clip is still there :)

That... I start to find it annoying after the 30th time...  :(

I usually don't mind it and it is such a remarkable Thing for the Progression series, it wouldn't feel right for me, if left out. It are only these rare Moments when 3 sneak attack Gandalfs and a regular played one, 4 phases back to back, that it gets a Little much^^

TheHiveTyrant likes this