Sign in to follow this  
Ashley

Come on England

Im not massive into football but  i spent the last week in Iceland and its the first time they've ever qualified so they were quite into it (their national game is 'hand ball').    Lots of people watching games in bars with no ovetly aggressive testosterone being bandied about, no fights, not stupidnes between rival fans.

4% of the population is Polish (and its a tiny population of about 300,000 people anyway) and polish fans were drinking with german fans etc etc.

If footballl was like that in England i'd have less of an issue with it.

Having said that I did watch the Wales V England game and thought we did ok given how strong England are usually, getting a goal in and only losing 2-1 wasnt bad for the land of my fathers!

Im not massive into football but  i spent the last week in Iceland and its the first time they've ever qualified so they were quite into it (their national game is 'hand ball').    Lots of people watching games in bars with no ovetly aggressive testosterone being bandied about, no fights, not stupidnes between rival fans.

4% of the population is Polish (and its a tiny population of about 300,000 people anyway) and polish fans were drinking with german fans etc etc.

If footballl was like that in England i'd have less of an issue with it.

Having said that I did watch the Wales V England game and thought we did ok given how strong England are usually, getting a goal in and only losing 2-1 wasnt bad for the land of my fathers!

Well Wales can still go through even if they lose, there are 4 places for 3rd in group stages, won't come to that, they will be too good for Russia.

Speaking of Iceland, I heard someone say they have 8% of their population actually at the ground, amazing effort from their team, considering size of the population.

Also what's it like in Iceland? It's on my list of places to see, if I can convince the wife to try somewhere chilly.

Volcanic mountain ranges, geysers, glaciers, waterfalls, ice caves, the hot water Blue Lagoon, go between Jan-March and you've a good chance of seeing the Northern Lights...

...also whale watching, incredible seafood and expensive bars (by our Northern staqndards).

Well done to Iceland!  And looks like Belgium are on course to qualify as well Robin.

edit:  check out this link for more on Iceland

Edited by FTS Gecko

Volcanic mountain ranges, geysers, glaciers, waterfalls, ice caves, the hot water Blue Lagoon, go between Jan-March and you've a good chance of seeing the Northern Lights...

...also whale watching, incredible seafood and expensive bars (by our Northern staqndards).

Well done to Iceland!  And looks like Belgium are on course to qualify as well Robin.

edit:  check out this link for more on Iceland

Who do you think you are?

Some sort of frickin Travel Agent?

Yeah Iceland was fricking amazing.

Basically we flew in to Keflavik, hired a huge jeep 4x4 and drove a six hour coastal/nothern route to the second largest settlement of Akureyri.    Had a meal there, few beers, partied in the midnight sun!

Next day we drove into the volcanic wastes of Dimmu Borgir, did some trekking and a bit of climbing, then to wash the sweat, bugs (it was midge city) and dirt off us we went to the volcanic nature spa baths and sat in 'hot bath' temperature water having a beer while looking out over snow covered mountains.

Then we drove down to a small coastal/fjordal town and stayed in a wood cabin (visiting some epic waterfalls and other features on the way), had a BBQ, drank some more.  Walked the coast in blazing sunlight but biting wind at 2am

Next day we went out into the Fjord on a fishingboat (no longer used for fishing) to go seal watching before driving down for three days in reykjavik,  We also chose the deliberatley most desolate route across the place we could.  it was totally like 'mad max' territory!

Had  £100 meal in a revolving restaurant with a view of the city, drank a lot more beer (its expensive there btw!), visited the museums, had lots of 'local' food like horse, puffin, catfish, fermented shark etc.  We also popped out to the filming locations of 'Game of Thrones' (the old icelandic parliment site), some more cave trekking and we went to see the geysers and hot springs down south.

I got a tattoo of the icelandic 'magic talisman' to keep travellers safe, then we flew home.!

I loved it, my mates we travelled with loved it but the 24 hour sunlight really put the zap on my wifes head.

Few pics:

Desolate mountain roads.

13466175_10154087051601539_2105052581181

dimmu_zpsni5qabgg.jpg

Sun Vogayer sculpture at reyjavik harbour

13450116_10157032689810181_8275783299876

Waterfall, a small one.

13435532_10157028497085181_1909393833184

'Satans church' volcanic rock formation at Dimmu Borgir

13428651_10157028478285181_1550526699579

13428553_10157028479910181_3718306107327

New tattoo

13417599_10154090915061539_4156628665364

GoT set:

13406815_10154088324811539_1621689857560

Dinner in an incredibly expensive revolving restaurant called the Perlan

13394098_10157032664420181_4831194492460

And my pal Mark (aka Tormund Giantsbane) went full wildling in the midnight sun!

13442270_10157025101155181_3204930730809

Edited by Gadge

Okay you had me at "Midnight sun" looks amazing

Well done Wales, shows you what you can do when you don't change the team for no good reason....

Oh this thread is now the " Come on England, Wales, Belgium, Iceland and er Argentina?"

This is living up to it's billing as probably the best European Championships ever.  Late drama everywhere.  Even Ronaldo's started to fire now.

As much as I would love England to win, I'm loving Iceland's story - can you imagine a Wales - Iceland final?

Brilliant.

edit:  I can totally imagine you making that noise opening Imperial Veterans Ash.

Edited by FTS Gecko

If leicester can do a 5000-1 underdog victory its entirely possible wale or iceland could do the same

stranger things have happened.

I'd love to see wales win for obvious reasons but i'd laugh my ass off if iceland did and be well pleased for them.

TIDY!

Would love to see Iceland, Wales, or the mother country (Italy) win it all. Yes, I've listed in that order. The Cosa Nostra be damned.

I coach a boy from Wales and he's been on cloud nine for a week or so now.