Sign in to follow this  
Ashley

Come on England

In this year of crazy football surprises, I predict one more....

England to win the Euros and Jamie Vardy to come off the bench and score the winner in the final.

Roy of the Rovers come true and England youngsters wearing the Three Lions with pride.

We can dream, stranger things have happened...

Well the idea was to celebrate the joy of football and the pride in your nation, I watched Wales yesterday and was rooting for them too, will be the same with Northern Ireland.

Unfortunately the pea brained minority ruin it for everyone, England, Russians and apparently Marseille fans??

Saying all that, I do think your comment is a massive unfair generalisation, I watched Leicester City win the premiership and that brought nothing but joy and unity to the city and football fans.

I am a Man Utd fan and enjoyed every glorious minute of it.

Northern Ireland was clashing with the Poles last night as well, the Russians will have to go to their next city, through the next English city.

Saying all that, I do think your comment is a massive unfair generalisation, I watched Leicester City win the premiership and that brought nothing but joy and unity to the city and football fans.

football is the only thing, worldwide, where so much police is needed, where so many people get wounded, where so much damage is done. Consistently.

Good performance by England last night, unfortunately the same old failings led to a last minute equaliser.  Wales did brilliantly in their game, great to see them kick off the tournament with a well-deserved win.

The group is already tightly poised - Wales-England is going to be huge now (as if it wasn't already).

Crass generalisation from Dagonet there.  Football is the only thing, worldwide, which generates this much global interest and traveling support.  Not even the Olympics come close.  Of course police will be needed when that many people from that many different countries and cultures come together - especially when the host country is on a high level of security alert following recent events - but 99.9% of the time they get along perfectly happily.

I'm speaking from first hand experience here as well.  I traveled to Portugal for the Euros in 2004, was welcomed with open arms by the locals, had many conversations and memorable experiences and with other traveling fans with not one bit of drama seen or heard (even when we suffered the inevitable England defeat in the knock out stages).  Three weeks of nothing but joy amongst football fans of all ethnicities.

It's not a generalisation though, consistently, around the world football is good for untold thousands of hours of police spent that would better be spent on catching criminals, only because supporters can't seem to be able to join the human race and not bash each other on the face for daring to like another team.

Celebrations cost the community thousands upon hundreds of thousands of euros in damages. But that's alright, at least the lads had fun.

Bunch of frigging neanderthals, underdeveloped poor excuses for human beings.

It's not a generalisation though, consistently, around the world football is good for untold thousands of hours of police spent that would better be spent on catching criminals, only because supporters can't seem to be able to join the human race and not bash each other on the face for daring to like another team.

Celebrations cost the community thousands upon hundreds of thousands of euros in damages. But that's alright, at least the lads had fun.

Wow tough crowd, okay we get it, you are not keen on football.

But 99.9% of fans are not "Frigginig Neanderthals" but like I said small minority's ruin it for everyone.

Although I think football comes third behind international terrorism and global warming on the world threat scale.

Come on Northern Ireland

What a sanctimonius, pig-ignorant comment that is.  Maybe if you got out of your mother's basement once in a while and experienced the outside world you might learn something about social dynamics.

See?  I can throw around ill-informed generalisations as well.  Back your opinion up with some hard facts if you want to be taken seriously, because right now you're sounding like one of those Dothraki handmaidens from Game of Thrones...

"Bunch of frigging Neanderthals..."

Edited by FTS Gecko

Guest Andy1909

Will wait for the England womens team to be playing again, they at least have a chance of winning something. The guys probably already have their flight home booked and most likely their holidays booked for the next day :-)

In any event calling them Neanderthals is hugely disrespectful... To Neanderthals. Football fans are much worse.

Besides

Whoa whoa whoa, I am a football fan but I am not part of the 0.1% of idiots that have been kicking off over the past few days.

You are issuing some pretty sweeping and insulting comments at a lot of people.

The point of this thread was to try and gather some X wing\ football fans together..... Failed miserably so far!

Anyone got any positive comments about the tournament and not just sweeping comments that are insulting a lot of good folk.

In any event calling them Neanderthals is hugely disrespectful... To Neanderthals. Football fans are much worse.

Besides

Whoa whoa whoa, I am a football fan but I am not part of the 0.1% of idiots that have been kicking off over the past few days.

You are issuing some pretty sweeping and insulting comments at a lot of people.

The point of this thread was to try and gather some X wing\ football fans together..... Failed miserably so far!

Anyone got any positive comments about the tournament and not just sweeping comments that are insulting a lot of good folk.

Apparently your opinion of Neanderthals needs improvement if you feel insulted.

Allow me to educate you.

Yes yes very droll, it was your comment that "all football fans are much worse" is what I take exception too

But I think you understand that but you are now simply trolling

I respect that people have a passion for the sport but honestly, the only experiences I've had surrounding it have been negative. Mostly a case of people getting far too overexcited and intimidating the other commuters, but then that fateful day when Middlesbrough got into the premier cup...

I couldn't see the street for all the rubbish strewn everywhere, couldn't ride a bus home without getting the window smashed in and had my news feed flooded with videos and images of irresponsible fans and parents. It might just be because i'm from the north and that's just how things are around here(???) and not all football fans are like that. But really, I can understand the contempt some people have for it.

Nevertheless I wish England the best of luck going forward.

Also England played the best I have seen them play for an awfully long time and still only get a draw, tough being a football fan

That's England for you.

Meanwhile, Argentina is doing their best to fool me into thinking we'll actually win the Copa this time. 

Edited by WingedSpider

I know it's only a tiny percentage of the England fans that are out and out violent thugs, but you can be certain that a large percentage of the rest who are out in France currently will be getting too drunk, singing xenophobic chants and generally going around like they own the place and making the locals lives a misery.

As far as I'm concerned the sooner that England get knocked out the tournament the better as I find that the fans generally make me quite ashamed to be English :-(

I just hope that our European cousins in France and elsewhere realise that we're not all like that.

Edited by Richard_Thomas_