Sign in to follow this  
RebelDave

Begging for XP Talent Trees

The door isn't shut for updates, buying the books for a game I'm not playing just to update the sheets isn't really feasible right now. I was talking to someone on this board about a possible patreon to fund the books and some of the hosting costs, but I've been very busy between family, planning my next campaign, and Overwatch to make anything happen.

What are you using to create the files? InDesign? Illustrator (which would be awkward, but possible)? Scribus?

Acrobat says "Eurostile LT Std"

The font is indeed Eurostyle. 

Talent Body

Eurostyle Condensed – 9/12

Talent Name

Eurostyle Bold Condensed – 10/10

Cost

Eurostyle Demi – 5/5

Career Name

Eurostyle Bold Extended 2 – 12/12

Spec Name

Eurostyle Bold Extended 2 – 24/24

Spec Skills

Eurostyle Condensed/Bold Condensed – 10/12

The door isn't shut for updates, buying the books for a game I'm not playing just to update the sheets isn't really feasible right now. I was talking to someone on this board about a possible patreon to fund the books and some of the hosting costs, but I've been very busy between family, planning my next campaign, and Overwatch to make anything happen.

Good to hear from your Doc,

As much as I would love to buy you books for updates, thats not an option for me.

If someone would buy me the fonts I could fill the gaps for you, but I don't think anyone's going to do that (or even give me a copy!)

If there is any other way I can help tide the community over until your potential return, let me know :)

I could contribute 5 USD a month to a patreón thing for doc the weasel, also how much are the fonts (in USD)? I don't know what countries the relevant people live in which is why I specified the units of currency as USD.

If all else fails, OggDude's generator has a feature that allows you to print just the specialization tree with areas to make tick marks.

I have never quite gotten my head round Oggs generator, partly because I've never quite understood how it works, partly because my group prefer to do manual builds, and partly because it seems too big for my brain to cope with sometimes....

To be fair, I have never really give it much of a look, but when I did it highlighted my confusion with the Obligation system that I still don't quite... 'get'

Conversely, I found it to be a huge resource that I understood pretty well from the start. If you want some help with it, send me a PM.

You could try sending a PM to Doc, the Weasel to confirm whether or not he'll be making new ones.

Ahhh.... I was labouring under the impression it was FangGrip who made them.... I could be very wrong then!

Thank you!

I think i was perpetuating that falsehood, sorry!

I too hit up Doc via PM here and got the same answer.  

Edited by themensch

The font is indeed Eurostyle.

I bought all those fonts for Rancor Publishing Group. IIRC, they weren’t cheap.

If someone wanted to do this project in RPG, then those fonts would be available to them.

However, you/they would need to talk to Jaspor and Drathen about whether or not we could support that. If you/they could help bring enough additional resources to the table, then we might be able to help.

Ah, just go with Comic Sans and call it a day!

Euurgh! :P

As it stands, the current trees on Begging for XP cover everything except those in Special Modifications.

And unfortunately, anything I do to replicated Docs work I will be unable to share.

Sorry guys!

To be fair, nobody cares about the font the Begging For XP talent sheets are displayed at. They care that it is a PDF and that it can have its text copied off. The "display" requirements are "can I read it without squinting?". Anyone thinking people care about the font of these sheets is rather confused.

To be fair, nobody cares about the font the Begging For XP talent sheets are displayed at. They care that it is a PDF and that it can have its text copied off. The "display" requirements are "can I read it without squinting?". Anyone thinking people care about the font of these sheets is rather confused.

I care about the font used, because I want all the Talent Sheets at my table to match.

Its party due to OCD. I'm not confused, its a mental quirk of mine.

But thats just me.

I care about the font used, because I want all the Talent Sheets at my table to match.

But thats just me.

While being in the "as long as I can read it" camp myself, I can't help but wonder if there's a very close match among free fonts?  

But thats just me.

While being in the "as long as I can read it" camp myself, I can't help but wonder if there's a very close match among free fonts?  

Beside the point really, since I cannot publicly share anything I do that imitates the look of Docs work.

I'd need to create a distinctive design (That many others already do). Which leaves anyone in the situation I was in when I started this thread, in the same place.

Font or not. :)

Beside the point really, since I cannot publicly share anything I do that imitates the look of Docs work.

I'd need to create a distinctive design (That many others already do). Which leaves anyone in the situation I was in when I started this thread, in the same place.

Font or not. :)

True, but his work is a derivative work as well so invariably, it will be boxes around text with lines to connect them.  

[edit: no posting before coffee!]

Edited by themensch

As a professional designer, I'd like to just say that there is more to it than that. Unfortunately, it's one of those cases where good typography work is invisible. It's the bad work that stands out.

That said, there are plenty of typefaces that would do the job just as well.

As a professional designer, I'd like to just say that there is more to it than that. Unfortunately, it's one of those cases where good typography work is invisible. It's the bad work that stands out.

As an independent designer of the last 15 years, from the bottom of my heart, thank you for saying it.

Once you understand bad kerning, your life is ruined.

The goal wasn't to be insulting with my comment, but to point out a simple truth. OggDude's can print out a talent sheet. Begging For XP's neat add-on is ability to view easy and copy text out. If there was an attempt to be fancy with typography, it is lost on all the players (30-40) I have sent to the site. It is neat that a level of effort is put out for them, but if that level of effort is hampering the ability to continue, then it is likely a choice that could have been skipped.

I do not fault you for moving on to another game, heck I like to branch out to others, just to stave off burnout on this system. I do think soliciting donations for people to basically buy the books for you seems a bit

Free is free, free is not "pay me to do this".

Edited by Klakor

But thats just me.

Then take the sheets, and update their fonts to ones you have and use those same fonts on new sheets. Problem solved. The PDFs aren't locked down from being edited.

I'd be willing to add to the Beggin For XP sheets, keeping the same design and everything. Would Doc be willing to share Illustrator/InDesign/Whatever files he created them with, so other designers could help with the cause?

I'd be willing to add to the Beggin For XP sheets, keeping the same design and everything. Would Doc be willing to share Illustrator/InDesign/Whatever files he created them with, so other designers could help with the cause?

The problem is the non-free Font used to create them. I think there'd be issues with him just passing that around.

As can be inferred from one of my earlier posts.... I am fairly certain Doc doesn't want anyone continuing 'his' work on his sheets. So, Fonts and original files aside, this is basically a dead end.

I certainly won't be making anything I do to emulate his style public at any rate.

The problem is the non-free Font used to create them. I think there'd be issues with him just passing that around.

Very true. Luckily, I already have the fonts. I was just wondering if he felt comfortable giving a copy of his files over to me to help him fill in the gaps.