Sign in to follow this  
Darkcloak

What are you Raging?

I've just looked at every pilot in the game to try and come up with a quick list. I won't claim that Rage is _good_ on all these pilots, just that there are certain criterion for Rage that these pilots seem to meet.

Rage is best on pilots who either don't care about stress, or actively want it:

Tycho, Farlander, Ezra, 4-Lom, Ibtisim, Porkins, 

(Soontir wants very badly to take Rage, but it's a terrible idea. It gives him a single great round, but a terrible next round. If it was 1 stress, I could see taking it on him, though...)

It also works on both attacks on any ship that double taps. 

Corran, TIE/D Defenders, TLT carriers, Warthog Y-Wings, Dengar (sometimes). 

The other big constraint is that the pilot's power shouldn't come from specific actions. For instance: Sabine wants to Boost/Barrel Roll, PTL, reveal a green/use Kanan, then take another action. Turr Phennir wants to be unstressed after he attacks, so that he can perform an action after that attack- and then PTL off that action. TAPs with Titles really, _really_ want to be stress free until they get a chance to use that title.*

Similarly, and worth special mention: Darth Vader has anti-synergy with Rage. This makes me very annoyed. Davies please

Another category of ships that could get use out of Rage: ships which can clear stress fairly well- maybe not great, but not horribly, but that are action independent. I would suggest that Scum Fett is in this category. He gets free rerolls for each enemy he's at Range 1 of. So if he is at R1 of 2 ships, he can get rerolls on all 4 of his offensive dice, a focus token, and rerolls on both his defensive dice. That's not the worst thing in the world. It would very much be a card you would count on using once, but never count on twice.

Another thought: Guri. She gets her token simply by being at R1 of an enemy, so no action dependency. She doesn't have a great stress release dial, but she doesn't have a lot on her dial that's stress inducing. The Star Viper has other problems, but Guri + Rage isn't a terrible combo.

Imagine the brutality of this combo:

N'Dru Suhlak (17)
Rage (1)
Cluster Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)

Total: 22

That's a pair of 4 dice attacks on an alpha strike. And at 22 points, it's basically disposable. Until you clear the stress, 3 unmodified dice as almost as good as 2 modified dice. 

Kaa'to Leeachos doesn't need his own actions: he has friends for that sort of thing. But I'm not really sure why he'd bother trying to super modify his 2 die attack. 

Palob Godalhi + TLT can rage and then get 2 fully modified shots off after he steals the defender's focus token. I mean. Good luck ever getting rid of that stress on a HWK-290 dial. But it's hilarious to do once.

I covered Vessery  under "TIE/D" as a double tapper, but he is worth mentioning in another sense: his ability depends a great deal on having other ships help him with Target Locks. If he's the last ship standing, he's not going to be getting a lot of use out of his ability. Rage will help him in those times when he either has no friends around, or wants to attack a ship that is not target locked. Moreover: his ability + his dial (especially when you have Engines MRK 2)- when he is paired with ships that do paint targets for him- makes him fairly action independent. He can be out front, get a solid double hit with Rage, then let his friends paint targets for him while he burns off stress. If he's the last ship standing he is going to still have a nasty trick up his sleeve. 

And that's what I think about Rage. 

*BTW: a 21 point Kir Kanos in a TAP would be amazing. 

That's 2 people who suggested Rage + ordnance, but Rage gives you rerolls, not target locks, so you'd have to get a TL from an earlier round or another source. Doable? Sure, but you're as constrained as all ships used to be with ordnance and I don't think that's the best situation to count on.

Punning - Now that you mention it, either flavor of titled Defender might be able to get some use out of Rage. The TIE/d has two attacks that can benefit from it, the X7 can get evades while ditching the stress, and it solves one of the biggest problems with trying to get much use out of Rexlar's ability.

I do think that to make it work you'd really need to fly the Defender in a real hit-and-run fashion, using the Defender's fast dial to disengage and reengage. X7 Ryad would probably work well in for this. She could pop Rage and attack, the following round do a fast straight or bank, followed by a green K-Turn (length dependent on where everything is) and be ready to Rage again.    

Edited by WWHSD

That's 2 people who suggested Rage + ordnance, but Rage gives you rerolls, not target locks, so you'd have to get a TL from an earlier round or another source. Doable? Sure, but you're as constrained as all ships used to be with ordnance and I don't think that's the best situation to count on.

For a 3 agility ship that can take missiles, Rage could be solid for firing off Proton Rockets.

Another great idea I had was to use Rage on Lando.

Yeah, weird right?  But Lando can clear stress and help out.  Put his buddy Nien on there and maybe a little Kyle Katarn?  I think that might be good in a two ship list.

With Cluster Missiles, you can take the TL at range 3, then fire next turn at Range 1-2. Rage actually helps solve the big problem of how to modify both attacks.

I agree that taking it on something like a Torpedo might not be great.

Darth Vader has anti-synergy with Rage. This makes me very annoyed.

He's probably mellowed. He is more machine than man after all.

Maybe not competitive, but what about Ragin' Vader with Yorr? You could acquire a target lock for Adv. Targeting Computer and still get your rerolls, or evade/barrel roll/boost (with EU). Put electronic baffle on Yorr for maximum shenanigans.

Maybe not competitive, but what about Ragin' Vader with Yorr? You could acquire a target lock for Adv. Targeting Computer and still get your rerolls, or evade/barrel roll/boost (with EU). Put electronic baffle on Yorr for maximum shenanigans.

I like your style. This is a terrible idea that could never work in a competitive environment. But I love your style. I think I want to try this. :D

I've been using Rage with Keyan Farlander, Advanced Sensors, HLC, and Kanan Jarrus crew.

http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/515459/50-shades-of-rage

1) Use Advanced Sensors to Rage.

2) Remove a stress token with Kanan

3) Use the remaining stress token on your attack and save the Focus for defense

I once saw someone fly Kavil with Unhinged, TLT, and Rage.

I thought he was a lunatic until he saved it up and spent it to get Ace-kills that could punch through autothrusters, then careened around the board a couple turns before trying another shot at it...

****. I thought I was the first.

Flew Kavil with this load out recently and he was my mvp for the tournament. Used rage selectively and kept him circling the combat with green 3 banks and turns. He still had some trouble landing hits on high agility aces. Ended placing fourth and went 3-1 for the day.

His wingmen were a torp scout and a slaver party bus. Used the scout to block so I got 3 dice range 1 often and torp attacks of opportunity. Slow rolled the slaver and herded the aces with its massive firing arc then blocked where possible. Most opponents did not focus fire on one target as all three of my ships were equally dangerous but Kavil's sniping with almost guaranteed 2 damage is what won me the matches.

The downturns clearing stress were not a big problem due to Kavil's pilot ability. He has a problem with stress mechanics like rebel captive as he is first to fire and it adds one more turn of non raging downtime, or more if the stress keeps adding every round. In a match versus a decimator with rebel captive and mara jade and a tactician on echo he only got to rage once but all the other matches he raged 4 or 5 times.

Edited by Uumbuku

GSP

Rage

Test Pilot

Wired

Experimental Interface

+/- Prockets for extra punch or Chardaan if you need the points

Maybe not super competitive but definitely fun with all those rerolls, and certainly ready to bug out at a moments notice if need be.

My entry. I haven't tried it yet, but looks quite fun. Props for those who get the list's name reference.

;)

http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/449186/do-robots-dream-of-electric-rage#

Basically, Chewie destresses Leebo so that he can fire 4 modified reds every turn, provided he flies green.

Might replace 3PO for Kanan, to have more dial flexibility. Chopper for when you can't keep the formation, but really-really need to Rage that one turn as well.

Edited by Mef82

http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/524624/youngster-rage-crack#

I have had a lot of positive experience with this swarm.

Right when wave 8 came out i flew it with 4 blacks with crack shot and no stealth device on Youngster and 2 point initiative bid but he was targeted almost exclusively after the initial alpha strike and then I lost my re rolls so I dropped one black squadron pilot, put stealth device on Youngster and threw in Wampa.

Epsilon Leader really helps to solve the double stress from Rage; at least until they are no longer flying in formation.

Here is the answer, Rage on...... Jek Porkins with Adv Proton Torpedoes! 

It's a blast to play. And no one ever uses Jek! (Maybe because he is in an X-wing)

Edited by delenmast