Sign in to follow this  
Krynn007

So this was brought to my attention

I don't think he was cheating. He's an over excited fidgeting player for sure. But I don't think he's cheating. Almost any other move would have seen a phantom with a shot at least, and likely a five die shot before cloaking. So unless he was like 'man I really hope I can't shoot this turn' I think it was just a matter of nerves. The guy is a good dude and while he loves the game isn't exactly a power gamer and I honestly don't believe he would cheat like that. Even seeing that.

@krynn, that link just takes me to a login screen...

This is being dealt with locally. No need for the witch hunt.

Unfortunately since this is a store championship it is an issue for FFG to decide on.  The game is getting more popular and the last thing we want is a bunch of cheaters playing the game at higher levels.  He is blatantly cheating and should receive a ban from FFG.
Which reminds me

Wasn't there some sort of updates ffg made on banning players?

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/spolicy/
Well what do Ya know

It does have the names of those suspended at the bottom of that page

Didn't think it would be made public like that, but good on them

If your going to cheat be prepared for the consequences

I don't think he was cheating. He's an over excited fidgeting player for sure. But I don't think he's cheating. Almost any other move would have seen a phantom with a shot at least, and likely a five die shot before cloaking. So unless he was like 'man I really hope I can't shoot this turn' I think it was just a matter of nerves. The guy is a good dude and while he loves the game isn't exactly a power gamer and I honestly don't believe he would cheat like that. Even seeing that.

@krynn, that link just takes me to a login screen...

Oh no. I'll have to figure that o out in the morning my apologies

I'm terrible at this stuff

Ok how about this, enhanced, and zoomed in

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oihv0mfa41dqgd9/dial%20fondle.mov?dl=0

Idk in the video they do say something about whisper being stressed after he does his move

Maybe he forgot while setting dial.

Or maybe he was going to bump.

There are choices in that position that would have left him in a much worse spot than where he ended up.

Just because he cheated at a game with plastic spaceships does not mean he's a bad guy.

Coming from playing a lot of competitive sports when I was younger I know friends of mine who would try cheat. Didn't mean I stopped being friends with them, though arguments did occur, and they were good people, but if your going to cheat, cheater beware

Edited by Krynn007

Just out of interest, I've never actually played with anyone who places their dials face down off the board next to the pilot card like that (or at least, not that I can remember) - we've always placed our dials face down next to the ship it belongs to, so it's obvious which ship uses which dial.  Do people play it that way often?

Theoretically, that's in violation of the rules, too.

Pg 15, standard rules of play, section "Planning Phase" reads:

During the Planning phase, each player secretly chooses a maneuver for each of his ships. To choose a maneuver, the player rotates the faceplate of the ship’s maneuver dial until the window shows only the desired maneuver. Then he assigns the maneuver by placing the dial facedown in the play area next to the matching ship.

(emphasis mine)

A friend recently tried to insist that the challenge coins I was using as shield tokens did not count as shield tokens and that I should take a crit as my first damage on an Aggressor. I eventually won the argument, since the activate shields step is not something that can be missed, so I was allowed to put 3 shield tokens on my ship.

That ****** puts his dials on his cards lol he's so done for. RULEBOOK FIGHT!

I'm not a fan of the dials on cards. In the heat of battle it can be hard to tell when ship is activating and what was revealed on the dial sometimes.

Unless it's 8 ties against 8 ties, I don't see why they can't just be placed next to the ships.

I just tried to move a dial with one hand and couldn't do it.  Are other people able to?  I think he was just fidgeting or wanted to remind himself of his move or both.  Sure, shouldn't of happened, but I don't see proof beyond an reasonable doubt that he changed his maneuver.

I just tried to move a dial with one hand and couldn't do it.  Are other people able to? 

Very easily, actually. Rest it on your index and middle fingers and then use your thumb to push against the window which shows your maneuver.

I think he was just fidgeting or wanted to remind himself of his move or both. 

Checking your move isn't technically legal anymore, as the entry with allowed you to do it has been removed from the FAQ (for whatever silly reason). Even when it was legal, though, you really shouldn't be gripping the dial any more than is absolutely necessary to lift it; fingertips are more than sufficient.

First time someone was catched cheating in a video, some were shocked about the subsequent reactions of the community (some called it "witch hunt").

But now, after 2 additional similar cases, cheaters exactly know about the consequences (I mean the angry reactions of the community, not the ban).

He doesn't look like a 10 year old child and should be aware of the consequences of his actions.

If he still cheat, it's his fault, I have no mercy for that

Caught, please :)

And no opinion on the actual subject, good luck with the discussion

English is not my first language but still a bit embarrassing ;) Thanks for correcting me.

First time someone was catched cheating in a video, some were shocked about the subsequent reactions of the community (some called it "witch hunt").

But now, after 2 additional similar cases, cheaters exactly know about the consequences (I mean the angry reactions of the community, not the ban).

He doesn't look like a 10 year old child and should be aware of the consequences of his actions.

If he still cheat, it's his fault, I have no mercy for that

Caught, please :)

And no opinion on the actual subject, good luck with the discussion

English is not my first language but still a bit embarrassing ;) Thanks for correcting me.

Wouldn't worry too much about it

Your English seems better than some who's only language is English lol

That was blatant and unmissable. Now there may have been some circumstances which the video doesn't make us aware of but the best option would have been to admit a mistake and politely ask the opponent. Bad, bad, bad. Someone got carried away in the moment and made a bad choice is the best case scenario.