FTS Gecko

What kind of ability would you give a 0 point astromech?

The two R3 cards in the ARC-170 pack has me thinking.

A 0 point generic Astromech could help out the generic X-Wings, Y-Wings and E-Wings, but what kind of ability do you think would be appropriate?

Obviously we've had the "Genius" astromech weigh in at 0 points before, but you need to take it alongside Bomb Upgrade and the 2 point Seismics at a minimum to be useful. Would you tie a generic 0 point astronech to an ability or upgrade in a similar manner?

Gunnery Astromech. 0 points, y-wing only.  Gain a crew slot. (And the equivalent Salvaged version) - the astromech does the second-seat gunner's work freeing him up to be a functioning crew member.  not sure how useful it would be, probably not worth more than 0.

Astromech unit.  0 points.  Does nothing except make IA work.

How about a 0 point Astromech that gives the ship an Illicit slot?

Hollowed Out Shell of an Astromech.  0 points.  Gain an illicit slot.  You git, what did R2A4 ever do to you?

Rename it "Magic Traaashcan" and we might have something there.

a 0 point card has to either be a one use card or a fix for something. when you look at how many ships can use an astromach it could be a game breaker or end up being nerfed

I agree completely - sonit would need to be n ability that, while useful, would be both situational enough to justify no cost and also not give a real benefit to Aces over the alternatives.

the horror of actually jousting efficient x-wings!

It's fine that you pay 1 pt for a cheap astromech that does something.   I don't like the idea of a 0 pt one that does something AND gives you the IA slot for nothing.  I like that you have to take an astromech for IA.  It makes sense.

a 0 point card has to either be a one use card or a fix for something. when you look at how many ships can use an astromach it could be a game breaker or end up being nerfed

There are 0 point cards that aren't one use or fixes.  They just generally have a drawback.  "Genius" means you generally end up eating your own bomb.  Chopper (crew) lets you take an action through stress, but causes a damage in return.

As for how many ships can use an astromech: 4.  X-Wings, Y-Wings, E-Wings and the upcoming ARC-170.  Truly a list of the most overpowered ships in X-Wing as we know it.

For salvaged astromechs? 2.  Y-Wings and the Jumpmaster.  Granted the list of Salvaged Astromechs, while smaller, is overall more useful IMO than the list of astromechs (of which like 3 get used regularly: stressbot, R2-D2, R5-P9).

So a 0 point Astromech (which would be useless to scum who can't use them) is hardly a game breaking addition.  Frankly, a -1 or -2 point astromech would almost be reasonable, except Corran is a thing.

My feeling has always been that a putative x-wing fix might be a 0-point astromech that gives two astromech slots, and allows you to equip two astromechs for a total of up to 3 (4? certainly not 5) points, as long as at least one is generic.  I.e. an 'astromech' that actually represents your named astromech being better.  I initially had put in 'and they both share the same first two letters' but there are no current combos that fit that description and are remotely worth taking.

Indeed, I'm not sure the mechanic as a whole works, except for BB8/R2 astromech.

There are 0 point cards that aren't one use or fixes.  They just generally have a drawback.  "Genius" means you generally end up eating your own bomb.  Chopper (crew) lets you take an action through stress, but causes a damage in return.

As for how many ships can use an astromech: 4.  X-Wings, Y-Wings, E-Wings and the upcoming ARC-170.  Truly a list of the most overpowered ships in X-Wing as we know it.

For salvaged astromechs? 2.  Y-Wings and the Jumpmaster.  Granted the list of Salvaged Astromechs, while smaller, is overall more useful IMO than the list of astromechs (of which like 3 get used regularly: stressbot, R2-D2, R5-P9).

So a 0 point Astromech (which would be useless to scum who can't use them) is hardly a game breaking addition.  Frankly, a -1 or -2 point astromech would almost be reasonable, except Corran is a thing.

You forgot T70 x-wings, which except for the Jumpmaster menace, are actually good and stand to get a LOT better when Heroes of the Resistance drops.

Indeed, T70s are the most annoying thing about fixing T65s, because the designers weren't forward-thinking enough to call the T65 a T65, so they can't now make things x-wing only without making them T70 accessible as well.

You forgot T70 x-wings, which except for the Jumpmaster menace, are actually good and stand to get a LOT better when Heroes of the Resistance drops.

Indeed, T70s are the most annoying thing about fixing T65s, because the designers weren't forward-thinking enough to call the T65 a T65, so they can't now make things x-wing only without making them T70 accessible as well.

Gah, I stand corrected.  I did forget the T-70.

Rebel Only. X-Wing Only.

I initially had put in 'and they both share the same first two letters' but there are no current combos that fit that description and are remotely worth taking.

Yeah, R2 and R2-D2 together would wholly suck. As would R7 and R7-T1. Even R5 and R5-D8 are useful when combined.

By which logic, anythign labelled Rebel Only never works for Resistance stuff, which would break any putative Resistance ships with the Crew slot.

The way I've thought of doing it would be 'x-wing only, may not have the Boost action', but my preferred solution would be to just create a list of current pilots that should be 'T65 x-wing' pilots, errata the **** cards, and update them next time they go through a reprint cycle.

But then, a lot of longer-term issues could have been avoided had FFG been more willing to errata things.

I initially had put in 'and they both share the same first two letters' but there are no current combos that fit that description and are remotely worth taking.

Yeah, R2 and R2-D2 together would wholly suck. As would R7 and R7-T1. Even R5 and R5-D8 are useful when combined.

I specifically said 'cost less than 4 points in total' to avoid R2 Astromech/R2D2 which would be broken AF.

Edited by thespaceinvader

maybe a new type of targeting mech where you must have a torp or missile ..... after  you shoot a missile or torpedo you may gain a target lock on the opponent. 

great for an alpha strike basically one use and would work well the integrated astromech

Xwing only. 0 points. Your upgrade bar gains a second torpedo symbol. You must equip two cards with the torpedo symbol.

Now you have a choice to buff the attack potential for two shots, with the cost benefit of EM, and using the mod slot for GC, or pay a minimum for two Flechette Torpedos, which provide some control benefit even when they don't hit, and keep IA in your mod slot.

Four Rookies fielding 8 Flechette Torpedos...