Sign in to follow this  
ravenflight

couple of questions

Hi guys,

Sorry, complete n00b and probably annoying.

1- who gets to choose which hits are absorbed by shields or defence token?

2- Can you use a command token & dial in the same turn?

3- Can you use a command token in an opponents turn?

1, spend defence tokens (which may mean splitting hits between section of the ship) then remove shields from the hit sections... extra hits go on the ship

so the defender as they choose to spend the defence token

2, yes, the effects stack

3, nope.  there is a set time you can spend each token (sqn & engineer when you reveal dials, concentrate fire when altering dice, navigate when determining course)

The defender decides how damage is applied to the ship being attacked, you can spend shields, and use tokens (except ones that have been temporarily prevented from being used by Accuracy results).

Def tokens :

Evade,  choose a dice to remove (Long range : Red dice), or reroll (Medium range : Blue dice) no effect at close range (black dice) Mon Mothma changes this rule.

Brace : Half damage total (round up)

Redirect : Choose one adjacent hull zone, and you can spend shields from it.

Contain : Prevents the standard critical effect from being generated. so instead of 1 damage card being dealt face up, it is dealt face down. it does nothing against upgrade cards that can spend a crit to generate an effect on the upgrade card.

Scatter : Cancels all attack dice.

2 : Yes you may spend a Dial and matching token :

Squadron Dial ( activate squadrons equal to your squadron value) Squadron Token ( Activate one squadron) so the Token either lets you activate 1 squadron, or adds 1 to your total when you use the Squadron dial.

Repair, Gain repair points equal to your engineering value. Repair Token gives you half your engineering value rounded up, so together you get the full amount, plus half rounded up.

Concentrate fire : The dial allows you to add one dice, that is already in your attack pool, and you may roll the attack, and then choose to add the extra dice. the token allows you to reroll one dice of your choice.

Navigation : The dial allows you to increase your speed or decrease your speed by 1, it also allows an extra click of a single joint of your choice on the maneuver tool. The token can be spent to increase or decrease your speed by 1, and if you use it with the dial, you can increase or decrease your speed by 2.

3 : No you can only use tokens on a ship that is being activated, and only in the correct phase.

Ship activation sequence :

Reveal top command dial :

Here you can spend your squadron dial/token or you can spend your repair dial/token

next is firing, here you can spend your concentrate fire dial/token

then determine course step, here you can spend your nav dial/token.

Hope that helps you.

Edited by TheEasternKing

So the first question was answered very well, but I think his question was getting more at, "if my opponent scored 2 crtical hits (crits) and 2 normal hits, can I redirect the 2 crits to shields to avoid critical damage while taking the 2 normal hits as non-critical damage to my hull?"

The answer to that is no. If you take damage, and your opponent scored at least 1 crit, the first damage card you draw will be face up (or they can activate another critical effect). But only the first, regardless if they rolled 4 crits.

There are only 2 ways to cancel a crit, and that is by using the Contain or Evade defense tokens as explained above (also scatter, but ships don't have that yet).

When you brace, it does not cancel critical effects. So if your opponent rolls 2 crits and 2 normal hits, you can brace it down to 2 damage, but your opponent can still use a critical effect.

Hopefully I read that first question right and I'm not being weird (though they are not mutually exclusive). Just the way you wrote "which hits" cause me to think that someone was trying to cancel out critical effects.

Armada is different from X-Wing in the way that Hits and Crits are dolled out.  Effectively, Attacking will go like this (And dealing exclusively with Ship vs Ship)

Attacker Rolls attack Dice

- Of course, its only the dice that are in range that are rolled.

Attacker Modified Attack Dice

- This includes things like, rolling more dice due to "Add" effects (such as Ackbar) and the Concentrate Fire Dial.

- The attacker can also spend dice that show the "ACC' Symbol to stop you from using Specific Defence Tokens  (I spend this ACC, and you cannot spend your Brace)

Defender Spends Defense Tokens

- The defender says which tokens he's spending (and turns/discards them as needed).  However, they don't neccessarily take effect here.

- SCATTER takes effect here (cancelling all dice)
- EVADE takes effect here (letting you cancel or reroll a die as allowed...

UP UNTIL THIS POINT, WE HAVE NOT EVEN LOOKED AT WHAT THOSE DICE ARE ACTUALLY SHOWING.

Attacker Declares Critical Effect

- If, after Scatter / Evade, there is at least one Die that HAS a Crit Symbol (NB:  How many are actually there is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT as long as its 1+), then the Attacker can choose ONE Critical Effect.  Even if there's 10 Crits showing, there's only ONE critical Effect...  

- That can be a Critical from a Card (Such as Assault Proton Torpedoes, that says BLACK CRIT: "The Defender takes one face-up damage card"), or the "Default" Critical effect, that says "IF you would take at least one Damage card this turn, the FIRST card (only) is Face Up.
 - The CONTAIN Defense Token takes effect here...  This STOPS the Attacker from Delcaring the "Default" Critical Effect...  Meaning he has to declare a different one, or none at all...

Attacker Calculates Damage

- NOW, and only now, we actually look at ALL of the symbols on the Dice...  We count up how many "HIT" and "CRIT" symbols we find, to get a DAMAGE NUMBER....

- The BRACE Token HALVES THIS DAMAGE NUMBER...  Note, it does NOT HALVE THE DICE.  IT HALVES THE NUMBER AFTER THE DICE SYMBOLS ARE COUNTED.

Attacker Deals Damage

- NOW, the attacker deals that Damage Number worth of Damage to the Target Zone...  One Point At A Time...

- The REDIRECT Token takes effect here.  Allowing the Defender to 'bounce' the point of Damage being suffered (one at a time) to a Single Adjacent Zone.

- If a Zone takes Damage without Shields, that results in 1 Damage CARD being dealt to the Ship.

- Note that, if the Critical Effect was "Default", then the FIRST (and only the first) Damage card is dealt face up...

That's how it goes...

Take it Step, by Step, and don't shortcut!  (A common mistake is rolling x amount of dice, and thinking that brace cancels 'half' of those dice - which it does not.)

Also this part of the forum has some excellent help,

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/forum/440-star-wars-armada-rules-questions/

Finally, somebody finds a nice way to say "here, you can go over to the Rules Questions subforum for questions like this in the future."

I was a newbie, stupid at some point and missed this sub-forum for some time and it would have been since if someone pointed this out to me in the beginning days.  :-)

Edited by Cubanboy

Also this part of the forum has some excellent help,

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/forum/440-star-wars-armada-rules-questions/

Finally, somebody finds a nice way to say "here, you can go over to the Rules Questions subforum for questions like this in the future."

I was a newbie, stupid at some point and missed this sub-forum for some time and it would have been since if someone pointed this out to me in the beginning days.  :-)

I feel the same way; it's just hard to tell somebody "hey, this other location is more appropriate for this subject matter" without making them feel like you're admonishing them for not having known that.