Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ecthelion III

Poor Eleanor :(

25 posts in this topic

What has happened to use rates of Eleanor over the years? I used to always hear about how she's "near essential in 4-player games". But now no one ever seems to use her. According to RingsDB stats of Hallofbeorn.com, she's used in fewer decks than even Dunhere, Lorefindel, and [gasp] Dori!

I don't know, she came in the first core, a new core with remastered versions of the cards would make a new Eleanor more suited to the current card pool.

I feel part of the reason is that the newer scenarios have more balanced treacheries. Like they are bad, but not significantly worse than the next random encounter card that would replace it. There hasn't been anything in the realm of Sleeping Sentry in a long time. Maybe something like Fallen Into Evil from Breaking of the Fellowship is close to that level of badness.

With 4 players, I would rather everyone have lots of card draw and copies of Test of Will.

Supertoe, MrMac10 and DavidnTanya like this

How would you suit her for the current card pool?

In addition to what donkler said, the other "problem" with Eleanor is that on many turns a treachery simply won't be revealed -- unless you're in 4-player -- making her effectively a dead hero, since 2 def and 3 hit points can't pass muster as a defender against current quests. Her traits aren't worth much, either, since spirit Gondor really doesn't have much synergy, and Noble is pretty limited.

I think the way to fix this would be to amend her ability so it's more consistently applicable. For example, she should either cancel the treachery outright (including surge and doomed, as does The Door is Closed!) or cancel the 'when revealed' effects of any encounter card (including locations and enemies). Either option would make her more versatile and useful, to compete with the other spirit heroes who simply offer a better bang for the buck, even at only 7 threat.

Other characters have additional versions of themselves in later sets/packs (true usually famous Tolkien wrote characters) so a new slightly different version of this one card is infinitely preferable to having a 2.0 core. No need for 2.0 core, just release newer versions of occasional cards, if you like, swap spheres to spice it a bit

Eleanor doesn't need a new version, cause she's great as she is. And the card pool has the perfect attachment for her: Gondorian shield. She can be a passable defender when not canceling.

divinityofnumber likes this

I still see her in plenty of games when I do 3- and 4-player games.

This is a hero that RingsDB will not be able to give you accurate usage data for.  Few people would build a deck around her.  But in a 4-player game somebody's going to end up subbing her in to their deck, even though they weren't planning to play with her initially.

How would you suit her for the current card pool?

In addition to what donkler said, the other "problem" with Eleanor is that on many turns a treachery simply won't be revealed -- unless you're in 4-player -- making her effectively a dead hero, since 2 def and 3 hit points can't pass muster as a defender against current quests. Her traits aren't worth much, either, since spirit Gondor really doesn't have much synergy, and Noble is pretty limited.

I think the way to fix this would be to amend her ability so it's more consistently applicable. For example, she should either cancel the treachery outright (including surge and doomed, as does The Door is Closed!) or cancel the 'when revealed' effects of any encounter card (including locations and enemies). Either option would make her more versatile and useful, to compete with the other spirit heroes who simply offer a better bang for the buck, even at only 7 threat.

I think she should have cancel the treachery completely, including surge and doom, then reveal a new one. Just like the Black Riders Frodo can do (except only for treacheries). She would not be overpowered, I am sure.

She's good in a Palantir deck.

Oh, I remember when the mono-deck became a thing (of sorts), I used to have her in a mono-Spirit with Palantír, and yes, it was not so bad.

Eleanor doesn't need a new version, cause she's great as she is. And the card pool has the perfect attachment for her: Gondorian shield. She can be a passable defender when not canceling.

She also have the in-sphere Blood of Númenor.

I myself have had decent success with her together with Elrond and Gandalf, but they are easy to have success with.

Out of our 60 people at our french encounter, there was only one Eleanor. I'm the only one who took Dunhere and a friend come with Dori only to show everyone what he was good for...

Dunhere is still quite good, didn't check on the two other :P

I think rather it's not that Eleanor isn't good,  it's that Spirit has a LOT of powerhouse heros to choose from.   I mean you're stacking up against the likes of Glorfindel, Galadriel, Eowyn, Theoden, and Arwen.   Eleanor just isn't those.

It is the year 3019 of the Third Age and people still don't know how overpowered Eleanor is in multiplayer.

The custom card posted above is even more overpowered. Not exhausting a hero to reshuffle an encounter card back to the deck is out of line with similar effects. Also, I repeat that Eleanoris a fine defender who doesn't need a willpower boost.

Now I'll give you that she's not a very exciting hero to build around but that's a different issue altogether.

Supertoe likes this

FetaCheese, her action is not important, so there is almost no actual tradeoff when you exhaust her to trigger her ability. Unless you stick Gondorian Shield on her, she'll survive one attack tops. I know how powerful she is in multiplayer, not just because she can replace, let's say, a "draw X additional encounter cards, where X is player number" card in a 4 player game, but also because in a 4 player game (or any multiplayer game for that matter) her stat weakness and action disadvantage is heavenly compensated by the presence of the abundance of other heroes and stuff.

donkler likes this