Sign in to follow this  
churchwarden

Soontir fel and a wasted emperor modification

So... Say soontir fel gets hit by a homing missile. He needs his evade token and the emperor to not blow up. He uses the emperor to switch a blank to an evade and then tried to use his evade token to avoid another damage, just to survive. But, with homing missiles u cant spend evade tokens during this attack. So he blows up. The question is, does he still get to use his emperor for something else. Fly casual says i would let him, and i would. But what about in regionals? Say, in an elimination round. He spent his emperor action to avoid a damage. But soontir still blows up. Is the emperor wasted for the rest of the round?

Can someone unspend the emperor?

Edited by churchwarden

Depends when he realized his mistake. If he hasn't finished modifying, I say let him take it back: he can always turn the die back to its original result without affecting the game state. If he's already dealt out damage cards... I'd probably still let him take it back since they can be shuffled back into the deck. If Soontir's already off the board, well, he's altered the game state, so no can do.

declared is declared, so we revert to the standard ruling of

"if you **** up, your opponent gets to decide"

no right nor wrong after that. It's your decision

I tend to be more lenient if I forget to mention what homing missile does before rolling, but if you're competing you should expect people to know what things do (or ask/see the cards prior to spending things)

range 3 arcs, where they're at their widest, aren't easy to dodge

which is why we have thrusters, but is also why Homing missiles denying the range 3 bonus die and the evade token might actually still punch through him

Edited by ficklegreendice

I mean, if someone doesn't do the math before committing Palpatine that's on them. If they do it wrong, that's on them. Casual game, sure, take it back. Competitive? Just like spending your evade token to avoid block all damage from an aggressor's first HLC shot, oh well. Bad call, sorry about the consequences. 

I mean, if someone doesn't do the math before committing Palpatine that's on them. If they do it wrong, that's on them. Casual game, sure, take it back. Competitive? Just like spending your evade token to avoid block all damage from an aggressor's first HLC shot, oh well. Bad call, sorry about the consequences. 

Again, depends on when they notice the error. If you've already rolled your attack dice for the double tap, too bad so sad. If not, they can always change their mind.

"I spend my Evade token-"

"Aha! I get to attack you again!"

"-when I want to, you're not the boss of me."

Edited by ObiWonka

I would also say that you should be very clear that you are firing a "homing missile" and not just a missile.  I would go so far as to say.

"Ok, I've got my target lock, I'm going to fire my homing missile that will deny spending that evade token."  Its a few extra words to avoid confusion on both sides.

Assuming that we're talking a case where Soontir is down far enough that he'd be dead no matter what if my opponent only used the Emperor, then I'd be willing to let him walk that one back. We're still in the modify defense dice stage of the attack, since he's trying to spend the evade token.

I think it really depends on the player and the event.

At my LGS we get a pretty mixed bag at store champs - anything from 9 year old kids just bringing what they've got, casual players bringing whacky lists just for the hell of it - right up to some very tidy, very competitive players who have come to win.

Out of the first two I'd offer the take-back pretty much without question - but if it was the third category I'd be pretty insulted if they asked - because I've come to win too

It's up to you as the opponent.

Remember though that this is a guy playing Palp Aces at a tournament. He doesn't deserve any mercy.

:lol:

As with other people - I say it depends how far he gets before realising his mistake, if he flips the dice then goes to spend his evade, at a tournament I'd probably say no-backsies.

On the other hand, if he goes "I spend palp and my token"(as one probably would do when faced with two otherwise uncancelled damage) then I'd probably go "you can't spend your token", and let them make their mind up from there.

All a moot point of course, I never use homing missiles.

Edited by Stu35