Autosketch

CC work thread

I was asked recently to show the process for backdrops, I've started this one, you'll see it hashed out as I work it into a finished piece for the next card. This will eventually be concord dawn, once I've finished working my way through detailing the planet to completion and then doing the nebula. All I've done to this point is a very basic sketch using two brush packs, the AdonisH pack and a cloud pack found here: http://www.stayinwonderland.com/2011/05/free-cloud-brushes-for-photoshop/

These give me some good edges to work with so I will embellish and solidify shapes as I go from here and hopefully in a few hours more invested it will start looking like a nice representation of the planet. 

31016450916_57e8fd8ef1_c.jpg

Loving the card art work. You should start selling them at packs of 6 (either when you have 6 individual or 3 and 3).

About the TL tokens. Small suggestion. With the targeting reticle border having only three crosshairs, the Defender and Phantom wings blend in to have a similar profile. What if you tried making it 4 or 5 or 6 target crosshairs instead of the three? Then the wing shape doesn't get confused with the targeting crosshairs (the Phantom wingtips seem to merge with the targeting pips and I have to concentrate to distinguish the difference between the Phantom and Defender TLs)

Great work! I can't wait until you have a pack ready for selling.

Loving the card art work. You should start selling them at packs of 6 (either when you have 6 individual or 3 and 3).

While I would love them, I think that might be setting himself up for some serious legal issues.

While I would love them, I think that might be setting himself up for some serious legal issues.

Is that your way of saying you wouldn't be in on the GoFundMe for citruscannon's bail money should the Mouse find out? :P

About the TL tokens. Small suggestion. With the targeting reticle border having only three crosshairs, the Defender and Phantom wings blend in to have a similar profile. What if you tried making it 4 or 5 or 6 target crosshairs instead of the three? Then the wing shape doesn't get confused with the targeting crosshairs (the Phantom wingtips seem to merge with the targeting pips and I have to concentrate to distinguish the difference between the Phantom and Defender TLs)

Hm, interesting idea, I'll give it a go and see how it works.

I remain highly interested in all of this stuff. Your style is right up my alley.

Glad you like it! :)

Dagonet is quite right on this. FFG and Lucasfilm informed me I would not be allowed to sell these. 

Well, this whole thread is a real treat! Especially like the developmental angle, as we watch your work come together, thanks so much for posting!

Thanks! Glad you've enjoyed it so far!

citruscannon your work is exceptional, you have so much talent and such an eye for detail! It's sad that the  mouse wont let you you print them. I'm curious what did FFG say about you printing them under  their umbrella? I will personally write them a letter stating that these should be there Alt Art cards! Seriously!

I'd like to re visit this idea real quick:

Some progress on the central HUD display. This one doesn't have any major information for the card, other than it has to match the scene in the background. 

In this case, the X-wing that is locked is shown with all the relevant data, on shields and hull as well as orientation and trajectory, similar to how you got information in the X-wing game. 

this is probably overkill, but it was fun to do nonetheless.

27172383213_81c9a0b646_c.jpg

27171436794_3a24ca845a_c.jpg

What do you think about making a card like this but leaving out all the x-wing stats? Just making it exactly what the pilot would see, I think it would be cool for experienced gamers that don't actually need the stats on the cards.

That being said I really like the one you've done up already. I would get both to be honest and that's coming from someone who could literally care less about paying $$ for Alt Art cards! I will buy yours if somehow you ever get to the point that you can sell them.

Also your whisper looks amazing!! Any tips on how I could get that printed for myself?

Keep up the good work my friend! 

citruscannon your work is exceptional, you have so much talent and such an eye for detail! It's sad that the  mouse wont let you you print them. I'm curious what did FFG say about you printing them under  their umbrella? I will personally write them a letter stating that these should be there Alt Art cards! Seriously!

I'd like to re visit this idea real quick:

Some progress on the central HUD display. This one doesn't have any major information for the card, other than it has to match the scene in the background. 

In this case, the X-wing that is locked is shown with all the relevant data, on shields and hull as well as orientation and trajectory, similar to how you got information in the X-wing game. 

this is probably overkill, but it was fun to do nonetheless.

What do you think about making a card like this but leaving out all the x-wing stats? Just making it exactly what the pilot would see, I think it would be cool for experienced gamers that don't actually need the stats on the cards.

That being said I really like the one you've done up already. I would get both to be honest and that's coming from someone who could literally care less about paying $$ for Alt Art cards! I will buy yours if somehow you ever get to the point that you can sell them.

Also your whisper looks amazing!! Any tips on how I could get that printed for myself?

Keep up the good work my friend! 

So glad you like them! Disney and FFG both kindly informed me how much they liked them but ultimately I was not given any way to sell them or print them commercially under an umbrella. As far as it goes the simplest way to get these out there it seems is to give them away as tournament prizes and a free raffle. I will post details when things clarify. I'm fairly sure I can't just send copies along with selling my own art, as the sale would cover both, however as long as I'm paying out of pocket and mailing these out for free I don't think anyone would take issue with it. I don't need to recoup income from painting, as I have a full-time career in science, so I don't really mind using proceeds from other art which I do have the rights to to send this kind of thing out for free if it's enjoyed by the community. It may well be I can divert the proceeds of sale of other artwork into a free raffle every odd month. Just can't recoup any payment in any form for this specific art.

Edited by citruscannon

I've had an idea fermenting for a while, and I think I might have a way to move this forward. Please forgive the Frankenstein's monster of a collage I've put together. I had an idea a while back of having an in-flight view, but I was never fully satisfied with the concept, so I never took it forward. I ran into a print company the other day that makes business cards on clear acetate, with 4 colour printing, and it gave me an idea. What if I made pilot cards in a couple sets: backdrops, and cockpits. You pair the two together, layering them one over the other in a clear sleeve, and presto, instant customization for your favourite pilots. this is the concept. Interested to hear what you think.

15325405_10157887383850574_3922390201241

Edited by citruscannon