Autosketch

CC work thread

I've been working on the defender, 

but had this ridiculous idea last night and had to get it on the screen. 

I know it's sacrilege, but what if a pilot card was sideways?

as an alternate art card?

You could get something properly resembling a cockpit, I sketched up a mockup for a Defender cockpit to show you a rough idea of what I mean

The dimensions of this ARE correct, so, throwing in all the necessary information (I've mocked space for it all up) you'd be good to go!

Worth finishing?

27736257396_db49e59b1b_b.jpg

I love this!  When I play piloting games, like Star Wars Battlefront, I prefer the immersion of the first-person cockpit view.  This card really brings the idea to life.

Plus, I fly for the Imperial Peace Keeper faction, so this card is a real bonus for me.  :D

Please continue with this idea.  I would love to see Darth Vader (TIE-A) and Captain Oicunn (VT-49) cards like this some day.

You could get something properly resembling a cockpit, I sketched up a mockup for a Defender cockpit to show you a rough idea of what I mean

The dimensions of this ARE correct, so, throwing in all the necessary information (I've mocked space for it all up) you'd be good to go!

Worth finishing?27736257396_db49e59b1b_b.jpg

I freaking love it.

It would be great if somehow the Defender itself could figure more prominently in the card. I see a few small "diagnostic" style images, and I don't know how to do what I'm suggesting, but it would be cool if it was more readily identifiable as Defender (or whatever ship the final product would be).

Edited by Biophysical

Worth finishing?

I freaking love it.

It would be great if somehow the Defender itself could figure more prominently in the card. I see a few small "diagnostic" style images, and I don't know how to do what I'm suggesting, but it would be cool if it was more readily identifiable as Defender (or whatever ship the final product would be).

absolutely, that targeting reticule is the defender reticule, and the schematic is there, but yes, it would need to be clear. The shields and hull screen is small and not fleshed out but that may be the best place to have the largest and most detailed schematic.

I'll play with it, just don't want to lose too much window space! :)

Edited by citruscannon

What if the Action Bar in the lower right were shifted up top where that diagnostic pic with the PS rating is, then you could use the lower right block to make a bigger Defender wireframe. Maybe the PS number gets moves down to the stat cluster in the lower left.

Edited by Biophysical

What if the Action Bar in the lower right were shifted up top where that diagnostic pic with the PS rating is, then you could use the lower right block to make a bigger Defender wireframe. Maybe the PS number gets moves down to the stat cluster in the lower left.

Yea, could do, the stat cluster at the bottom is replacing what is normally the radar, which doesn't really have an analog for something useful in the game that I can think of. 

Is it ergonomic to have ship schematics on both sides of the pilot? 

Hmm... from that point of view, maybe bottom left is the defensive cluster, and the bottom right has the weapons cluster. It could display the status of the lasers, cannons, and Missile tubes, in a wireframe Defender. You could even have the upgrade bar icons associated with the specific part of the frame where they were applicable. Maybe the red Attack value would be moved over to this cluster.

Hmm... from that point of view, maybe bottom left is the defensive cluster, and the bottom right has the weapons cluster. It could display the status of the lasers, cannons, and Missile tubes, in a wireframe Defender. You could even have the upgrade bar icons associated with the specific part of the frame where they were applicable. Maybe the red Attack value would be moved over to this cluster.

Love it. that's perfect. I'll come up with a new sketch, gimme a minute :P

Very, very cool. 2 minor things:

1.) It's sort of odd that the panel on the left with the shields is perpendicular to the viewer's vision, while the panel on the right with upgrades is tilted.

2.) Defenders have no Evade action.

1) I'll give it all a tilt when I figure out the slant of the shield reading screen, so for sure!

2) haha well spotted, Col Vessery is also neither a brash smuggler nor is the Defender a light freighter ;)

It's all just placeholder for the most part right now. had to get a sense of where to put things since if it works for this for 4 actions, I won't have trouble with other TIEs with 4. :)

alrighty, did some shuffling. Points and PS at the top, with a small face on schematic of the ship

weaponry pointing to various parts of the ship bottom right, upgrades run along two console bars on the cockpit frame.27162150793_69c3fa9b90_b.jpg

I really like the cockpit view! To differentiate between pilots all you have to do is change the view out the window.

And might as well make Vessery 33 points... ;)

Love it. I'd put all of the actions on one line.

Maybe move the weapon arc icon to the left, and put the text in the lower middle where the weapon icon is now? Gives more room to see out the window.

And might as well make Vessery 33 points... ;)

Love it. I'd put all of the actions on one line.

Maybe move the weapon arc icon to the left, and put the text in the lower middle where the weapon icon is now? Gives more room to see out the window.

Yea, I'd like the actions on one line too, but I'm conscious of visibility issues if they get smaller than they are. Text could go bottom but I'd have to put a whopping big screen there, which would be inconsistent with the few views I've seen of the defender cockpit. 

I'll fix up vessery or the final draft, and I'll see what I can do about the rest, at least give it a go to see if it works but it may stay similar to now, as long as visibility is there.  :)

Some progress on the central HUD display. This one doesn't have any major information for the card, other than it has to match the scene in the background. 

In this case, the X-wing that is locked is shown with all the relevant data, on shields and hull as well as orientation and trajectory, similar to how you got information in the X-wing game. 

this is probably overkill, but it was fun to do nonetheless.

27172383213_81c9a0b646_c.jpg

27171436794_3a24ca845a_c.jpg

Edited by citruscannon