Autosketch

CC (PeteH) work thread

ok, so I've been occupied with other projects for the past few weeks, so haven't had a chance to get back to working on this at all. I've picked up some time this morning with some ideas itching to get on paper for this drawing. Always good to let something percolate for a bit while you sleep!

really thought the whole composition could use some more oomph. I've quickly sketched up a very basic draft of a completely different idea for this defender. I think I may go with this one, it'll take some time to go back and paint it properly, but the basic elements are there :)

Pete

27648001173_454afaf85f_b.jpg

ok, so I've been occupied with other projects for the past few weeks, so haven't had a chance to get back to working on this at all. I've picked up some time this morning with some ideas itching to get on paper for this drawing. Always good to let something percolate for a bit while you sleep!

really thought the whole composition could use some more oomph. I've quickly sketched up a very basic draft of a completely different idea for this defender. I think I may go with this one, it'll take some time to go back and paint it properly, but the basic elements are there :)

Pete

[image went here]

I like your idea here, but I feel like the Defender should be attacking, not being attacked. Maybe if you had the defender flying across the image, left to right, aiming slightly in front of the image, like Echo's pilot card:

Here's a google image search of the pilot card, I can;t get the image to be accepted by the website.

Love the basic idea though, both designs are lovely.

Pete

[image went here]

I like your idea here, but I feel like the Defender should be attacking, not being attacked. Maybe if you had the defender flying across the image, left to right, aiming slightly in front of the image, like Echo's pilot card:

Here's a google image search of the pilot card, I can;t get the image to be accepted by the website.

ah, the explosion needs to be clearer, very good to know  and good point :). but that's the third x-wing the Defender has just blown to smithereens and is blazing by at near mach something-fast. I promise it will be clearer when I fix it, I just hacked it together quickly, but I think I can make it done.  :)

I'd like to preserve the sense of forward momentum, can fit more in the frame with the vertical card if I can.

Edited by citruscannon

Pete

[image went here]

ah, the explosion needs to be clearer, very good to know  and good point :). but that's the third x-wing the Defender has just blown to smithereens and is blazing by at near mach something-fast. I promise it will be clearer when I fix it, I just hacked it together quickly, but I think I can make it done.  :)

I'd like to preserve the sense of forward momentum, can fit more in the frame with the vertical card if I can.

I got what was going on but thought the exploded ship was a B-wing.

Agree that it looks a bit odd having the defender being chased. Maybe turn the X-wings around. As in they and the defender just jousted and are flying past each other at high speed.

I immediately viewed it as a target the Defender just destroyed, as it was futility chased by the hapless squadron mates of its target. Appropriate.

You just know that it's only to the halfway point of it's maneuver... which is a K-Turn... which spells DOOM for the Rebel scum! :D

I immediately viewed it as a target the Defender just destroyed, as it was futility chased by the hapless squadron mates of its target. Appropriate.

You just know that it's only to the halfway point of it's maneuver... which is a K-Turn... which spells DOOM for the Rebel scum! :D

Followed by another K-turn, as the X-wings are left stressed and facing the wrong way.  

While I've been working on the ground speed effect on the defender, needed to take a break, so I bashed out a sketch very heavily inspired from a phenomenal WWII dogfight short called paths of hate. The angle is taken after one of the dogfight sequences, with Fel and Wedge instead ;)

I may play around with this after I finish the defender

28319755785_fe29d8b5dd_c.jpg

While I've been working on the ground speed effect on the defender, needed to take a break, so I bashed out a sketch very heavily inspired from a phenomenal WWII dogfight short called paths of hate. The angle is taken after one of the dogfight sequences, with Fel and Wedge instead ;)

I may play around with this after I finish the defender

28319755785_fe29d8b5dd_c.jpg

Hmmm... I see Wedge got that Vectored Thrusters upgrade...

starting to come together! lots of detailing left to do yet, 

still have to go back and finish up the dunes on the right, and pick out the highlights in the machinery. 28315472946_5eb6665b93_c.jpg

Don't forget the guns at the tips of the wings!

PS: what an amazing art.

starting to come together! lots of detailing left to do yet, 

still have to go back and finish up the dunes on the right, and pick out the highlights in the machinery. 

Don't forget the guns at the tips of the wings!

PS: what an amazing art.

Thanks! 

Haha yea, the guns, the wiring, speculars, highlights, all needs to get added. I'm undecided on if I should keep the explosion or keep it simple. 

This was a pretty fun exercise in teaching myself how to use my tablet, so I'm excited to get going on the next one once I get this sorted to my liking!

the black blotch will also go, that's my reference vanishing point ;)

Edited by citruscannon

Did you just post this: https://www.reddit.com/r/XWingTMG/comments/4t7j17/delta_squadron_pilot_alt_art_card/On Reddit? Because if so, I love it and it looks like the card's coming along nicely! :) And if not... someone's taking credit for your work! 

hah yea that's me ;)

here we go:

28275997141_e3c48838bb_c.jpg

Edited by citruscannon

It looks spectacular! I love how you cleaned it up a bit and kept the cockpit view feel while still cleaning up the extraneous bits, keeping it eminently readable, and featuring the artwork. 

What does the Aurebesh say (Red, above the statline)? I can't seem to read it haha