citruscannon

CC (PeteH) work thread

208 posts in this topic

I'm just going to go ahead and like and follow this topic already.

Yyyup.

I'm already in awe of those perspective lines and it hasn't even been coloured in yet :)

26962079243_6fcd8dff36_c.jpg

state of the first defender. I threw in some references so you get an idea of where I'm getting the features from. A beautiful paintjob on a defender which I did not do, done by a painter called Sash (http://www.puttyandpaint.com/Sash)

Well, I think this is about as far as I can get with fingerpainting. I have to swap over to my tablet to finish off the rest, to get really nice lines I need to modulate stroke width and I can only do that by reduction currently. I've only been able to work on this during breaks between work, so I'm looking forward to the weekend where I can change my work desk into an art desk!

-Pete

RogueLeader42, jme, Odanan and 4 others like this

state of the first defender. I threw in some references so you get an idea of where I'm getting the features from. A beautiful paintjob on a defender which I did not do, done by a painter called Sash (http://www.puttyandpaint.com/Sash)

Well, I think this is about as far as I can get with fingerpainting. I have to swap over to my tablet to finish off the rest, to get really nice lines I need to modulate stroke width and I can only do that by reduction currently. I've only been able to work on this during breaks between work, so I'm looking forward to the weekend where I can change my work desk into an art desk!

-Pete

Pete, this is amazing work. 

Do you accept commissions? 

If yes, can you do the Assault Gunboat? (and later the TIE Avenger?) 

I'm sure there is someone in the Gunboat cult able to actually pay you for that.

clanofwolves and Arma Quattro like this

Pete, this is amazing work. 

Do you accept commissions? 

If yes, can you do the Assault Gunboat? (and later the TIE Avenger?) 

I'm sure there is someone in the Gunboat cult able to actually pay you for that.

Yep!

I've had no plans previously to do either of these, and painting new cards will take me time, but yep I'd be up for it. I've PM'ed you regarding this.

I just need to hear back from FFG on what the word is on this kind of thing and I'll go from there. :)

Edited by citruscannon
Odanan and clanofwolves like this

whew!

slowly getting there. as I worked more on the lines, lots of things had to be adjusted. I didn't like the size of the cockpit, I framed it a little large before, and the perspective on the wings had to be altered. after some problems pairing up my sketch to the FFG model I gave more length to the arms, which meant re-aligning some of the wing angles. if you squint your eyes a bit you can start to see it coming together. 

26978696414_69cdb712be_b.jpg

FTS Gecko likes this

Great to see how it is done.

Could you add a link to this thread in your signature? It would help finding this topic for those lured by the brilliant Vessery card.

Great to see how it is done.

Could you add a link to this thread in your signature? It would help finding this topic for those lured by the brilliant Vessery card.

good idea! 

added :)

just playing around a bit, I might go a different direction with the background, maybe something more dynamic. not entirely too sure. 
If I did this it would need quite a bit more work until I was happy with it. I may save this idea for a later card. 

27608389065_318c4398e4.jpg

You going for a hyperspace look?

I like it, would be pretty cool looking and fitting for a Defender card.

Yea, I think I'm going to work some more on the planet background and stick with that, the intention for this card was to have one more delta in the background. I may leave the hyperspace motif for an ace. It needs a ton of work to get right, the one above I just whipped up really quickly to get a feeling for what it might look like. 

You going for a hyperspace look?

I like it, would be pretty cool looking and fitting for a Defender card.

Yea, I think I'm going to work some more on the planet background and stick with that, the intention for this card was to have one more delta in the background. I may leave the hyperspace motif for an ace. It needs a ton of work to get right, the one above I just whipped up really quickly to get a feeling for what it might look like. 

Rexler or Ryad? The first has a really disappointing card so surely would need something better, the second quite - really nice image - different, but leaving hyperspace suits her.

I like the idea, but could be tough given that each card, for each pilot should be different and it is much harder to see the difference this way.

Plus many pictures from the pilot cards are pretty good and this solution takes that factor away.

I like when we can see both - a sort of HUD/cockpit and the image from the card if you need your cards sideways to achieve it it is fine.

Edited by Endobai

I like the idea, but could be tough given that each card, for each pilot should be different and it is much harder to see the difference this way.

Plus many pictures from the pilot cards are pretty good and this solution takes that factor away.

I like when we can see both - a sort of HUD/cockpit and the image from the card if you need your cards sideways to achieve it it is fine.

Oh for sure, this isn't something I'd foresee as a broad solution for alt art cards i general, I think the earlier version works better for that as you say.

No I just meant that for something like this, it really scratches an itch for the old TIE fighter/Xwing game.

I'd have to come up with new backgrounds for each pilot and new foregrounds for each type, but it wouldn't take too long from ship to ship, and it's half the fun, especially if it's just a few archetypes. 

Arma Quattro likes this