Barry Harker

Harker's SCUM Re-Paints & Conversions

On 21/01/2018 at 10:00 AM, Jaffamaster said:

Anymore updates Barry? Like always I enjoy looking at your repaints and modifications

Hi Jaffa,

I have  5 models on the desk that need finishing....paint wise.

I will then post the photos,

eventually :D

Thanks for the interest and sorry about the long wait.

Work can get a bit full on, as it is at the moment.

" I need some quite time so i can get behind the desk and enjoy some painting again "

I will have them done soon.

All the best,

Barry.

Barry I LOVE the mods, but is the Lancer earlier in this thread the only one you’ve done?

It’s one of my least favorite ships in the game, but I feel like I need to use it in some of my lists, and I can’t quite decide what to do with the model. Would like a different direction than adding wider wings like yours, and kind of at a loss for ideas.

Perhaps remove the engines and remount them underneath? Hope you can help!

Edited by sharkethic86

Hi Drago.

Yes the YT-1930 Mod is on my desk......its the only model im working on at the moment.

The only issue is the past month I have been Really busy.

And im going to have hardly any time over the next three months !

but once I have made the model, Im going to make a mould and casting of it in resin.

as I have some friends that want one as well.

Ill try and get some more work done on the model and post some more photos soon.

All the best,

Barry.

On 26/01/2018 at 11:39 PM, sharkethic86 said:

Barry I LOVE the mods, but is the Lancer earlier in this thread the only one you’ve done?

It’s one of my least favorite ships in the game, but I feel like I need to use it in some of my lists, and I can’t quite decide what to do with the model. Would like a different direction than adding wider wings like yours, and kind of at a loss for ideas.

Perhaps remove the engines and remount them underneath? Hope you can help!

Hi Shark.

If you go back through the thread to the first page you will see many more Mods.

As for the Lancer, before you start cutting the model up.

Make some card wings.......do some various shapes, and place them on or next to the model to see what looks right.

fy2yHq.jpg

068P10.jpg

you could do the same with some tubes cut to the same size as the engines, and move those around the model to get a better idea 

if your having trouble visualising what it might look like......Mock up first, then cut :D

All the best,

Barry.

Wait I’m confused.. I said I DON’T want wings, lol. I was going to cut off the engines but the way the body and engines are merged together I’m not sure where to begin.

Lancer is so **** awkward, last thing it needs is wider wings.

Edited by sharkethic86

Hello Guys.

Firstly, Great to see lots of new Blood on the Painting Forum. and some great work along with it !

Its been over ten months since I last had the chance to sit behind my Desk and get on with some more X wing Builds.

Work has been so Busy and Hectic I have not had the chance to to look in much on the forums, let alone some down time 

to get on with my builds.

But, this being a Bank Holiday weekend in the UK and me getting a bit of a break from the Studios.

I have had chance to sit down and get on with some more builds..........

Carrying on with my H-6 Bomber Build I managed to lay down the base Camo paint based on my Mandalorian paint schemes .

L3nE5N.jpg

After laying down a coat of sand beige, I used white tack to mask of the camo scheme 

92F3ft.jpg

Then sprayed with olive green.

kISUyg.jpg

Being able to have a few days off, is allowing me to be able to work on some models that I have been wanting to do for a long time.

Bought the C-ROC a while ago, and had the idea of doing some light mods.

and painting it in the red and white Republic colours.

the main reason is I am soon due to play a large 600 point game using rebel and Scum Transports ships

against a friends huge Imperial fleet....."Run The Blockade"

I will be using CR-90 Blockade Runner, This C-Roc and some YV & YT Freighters and the Ghost to break through 

Imperial Gozanti's, Raiders, Decimators and a whole host of annoying Ties to get through a blockade to a sieged planet....

"we like playing big games sometimes and really mixing it up"

The model can then also be used as a standard Scum Pirate Frigate for normal games.

TxLvwe.jpg

I built a weapons platform " Carapace" on the back in place of the 5th engine nacelle, added some new engine nozzels

and have scratch built some new weapon pods to go on the Carapace and under the chin. 

Model was then sprayed in red oxide primer and masked with Tamiya masking tape for the markings.

hXef1m.jpg

The model was then sprayed black, And Lightly over sprayed in grey primer for deep recess shading, and masking of the engine nozzles.

slg1sk.jpg

Now with a few light passes in white primer. 

all using Aerosol Cans ?

KVuiV2.jpg

YUwIWl.jpg

Now the Masking Tape has been removed to reveal the deep red Markings on the Ship.

This is actually a very easy,tidy and clean way of creating alternate colours on the models.

Because it is spray painted, the paint goes down very thin, you don't lose any detail and therefore can make contrasting colours stand out.

ready for the further process of inking and shading.

oGjCrL.jpg

The model has had a nice messy Nuln Oil inking applied all over, once it has been left to dry.

I will start adding in detail, Panel shading and weathering.

TNq6Cz.jpg

ejKfgu.jpg

I do need to get this finished ready for the big game in 4 weeks time.

So I will post more photos soon....when time and work allows !

All the best,

Barry ?

Man i wanted to thank you for taking the time do this amazing work and more importantly sharing it with us..   I just spent the last 40 minutes at work going through your art and ships!!!!    Amazing... the designs and executions  are spot on what I thought most spice ships should look like.. streamlined sleak and stylish.   The ships in the Star Wars universe are already great from a stylish stand point, but you take it to a new level!!    Great job and thanks

6 hours ago, Talynblade said:

Man i wanted to thank you for taking the time do this amazing work and more importantly sharing it with us..   I just spent the last 40 minutes at work going through your art and ships!!!!    Amazing... the designs and executions  are spot on what I thought most spice ships should look like.. streamlined sleak and stylish.   The ships in the Star Wars universe are already great from a stylish stand point, but you take it to a new level!!    Great job and thanks

Hello Talynblade.

Thank you for the comments and im glad you enjoyed reading through the pages on the many builds. I always try to post as many photos as possible to show others that may want to make similar modifications and give them an idea on how I do it.

I feel its important to share knowledge and know how on these matters to help others enjoy there hobby more.

I also like to take my design mods a bit further and make them look how i want them too, and add that bit of individuality. in some cases the designs do stray away from "the Star Wars look " but i like things to be a little different.

Thanks again and all the best.

Barry.

On 5/8/2018 at 2:48 PM, Darth Drago said:

Hey Barry!  Glad to see you back!

So I have a question.  What are your thoughts on 2.0?  Have you heard of it yet? 

-DD

Hello Drago,

Thank you, its nice to have a bit of time to go through the forum again and see whats going on.

And yes, I have just cought up on the 2.0 pa-lava.

I personally think they are taking a bit too far, replacing all of the pilot and modification cards and a real shuffle up of the rules seems a bit drastic. and forcing a loyal fan base to change over and spend a lot of money on game updates is a risky business maneuver.

Also, X wing is now one of the Top selling Board games on the market, with a huge customer and big fan base.......so that means they did something right first time round as its so popular, So why make what is a very drastic decision and move the game to a whole new version.

I personally prefer most of the rules in version 1.0 to 2.0, we will play test 2.0 to see what it is like.  but me and ......well all the friends I play X wing with are not fans of the Rules as well as other issues with 2.0

We will stick with what we like and continue with the original game as it was made. I won't mention any more about it as it seems a touchy subject on the main forum !

Im sure version 2.0 will please many players, time will tell to see how well it does.

All the best Drago

Barry :D

Edited by Barry Harker

On 5/13/2018 at 1:28 PM, Barry Harker said:

More painting on the Gozanti Republic Cruiser. All of the main paint and simple blocking in work has now been done. and the new weapons for the chin turret and the rear carapace have been finished............

SL3rXN.jpg

H6TFXm.jpg

ZTPsbx.jpg

i9dmL2.jpg

I'll have to re-open all my 40k bits boxes. I recognize the Base of the Main Turret on top as a Tau vehicle door!