Sign in to follow this  
Smurfinablender

Star Wars: Rebels hate?

I've really struggled with this for a long time. Can someone explain why there is so much hate for ships taken from Star Wars Rebels for being a "children's cartoon" when all of my memories of Expanded Universe books were fellow nerd kids reading books while waiting for the bus in fourth grade? How one gets dismissed as less-than and childish while the other as "adult" and "more worthy" blows my mind. 

Also, have you WATCHED Rebels? Other than the obligatory whiney teen (reminder that Luke was this role in ANH) and the weird obsession with impractical light sabers that Lucasfilm has been obsessed with since Darth Maul's was such a hit (The spinning helicopter sabers have got to go) the show is actually very entertaining with very few "filler episodes" which seemed to plague The Clone Wars. Kanan's comic series is also one of the stronger ones of the new line and a great companion piece.

Plus the majority of the art-design is off of the original Ralph Mcquarrie concept art with the more rapier-styled lightsabers and stylized Darth Vader mask which is a fun look at what Star Wars could have looked like. (Zeb is even an early concept design for what Wookies would become) 

And the space battles are fun with some great A-wing love. (Featuring the new Fang Fighters) 

I'm not saying you have to love it, but the majority of the people rolling their eyes at ships taken from SW: Rebels seem to have dismissed it has not worth their time having never given it a chance.

I don't hate Rebels it's just not my thing. It's too kiddy. I understand that it's meant for a children's network and has to be kiddy, but that doesn't change the fact that it is. I'm surprised that the TIE Fighter anime that was created hasn't turned into an official show. An actual Star Wars anime would be ******* sweet as long as the Japanese don't fill it with giant humanoid robots or 11 year old females.

As for how the ships look, I don't mind them. Attack Shuttle looks sweet, Ghost is literally an IHOP restaurant, Fang Fighter looks cool. They're no TIE Avenger or Assault Gunboat though.

aBYKrZz_700b.jpg

Careful what you wish for.

I think there is a certain amount of resentment towards Rebels in some circles as people feel that The Clone Wars was culled to make way for it. After 5 Seasons, Clone Wars was riding high with well developed characters, good storylines etc. But the clone wars movie and the early episodes had the same issues that people complain about in Rebels (cartoonish appearance, annoying new tweenage character etc).

Season 1 of Rebels had enough good stories to show promise and I gather Season 2 gets better even though I haven't seen it yet. The premature death of the Inquisitor was disappointing as he seemed an interesting character and a good villain. Making believable villains is always a challenge as they lose their menace if they keep failing to defeat the heroes. Rebels has gone the Buffy route of introducing a new "Big Bad" for each season (so far).

I await the season 2 DVD with interest to see where it goes.

Just started watching the show, almost done with the first season. A ton of things were just spoiled for me in this thread, but I'll live.

For being a kids' show, I find Rebels to be inoffensive at worst and enjoyable in its highs. The first episode was rough, and the forced cameos feel unnecessary, but the rest is Star Wars fun. Space combat, mercenaries fighting for what's right, goofy droids, and the Force.

It will be nice once September gets here and all of Disney's catalog is on Netflix.

I hate the rebels art style, 3D animation over background that tries to look hand drawn is just offensive to me as an artist.

Then there's poor story and characterization on top, weak villains make the heroes come off as Mary sues.

Then we have the utter disrespect for previous lore.

Yeah fair to say I have no love for rebels.

imho, it falls short because it rehashes too many main points from the OT and uses animations that range from good to mediocre.

I'm curious now,

On a scale of one to ten (the range being animations you've seen),

Where would Rebels fit?

What would be your ten?

It's all good and well to say "Ahh, this show: It's got bogus villains and broken Aesops, and the key frames are tied together with packing tape and glue!" but if I don't know what better show you're coming from then I have no frame of reference.

Or tge

I think there is a certain amount of resentment towards Rebels in some circles as people feel that The Clone Wars was culled to make way for it. After 5 Seasons, Clone Wars was riding high with well developed characters, good storylines etc. But the clone wars movie and the early episodes had the same issues that people complain about in Rebels (cartoonish appearance, annoying new tweenage character etc).Season 1 of Rebels had enough good stories to show promise and I gather Season 2 gets better even though I haven't seen it yet. The premature death of the Inquisitor was disappointing as he seemed an interesting character and a good villain. Making believable villains is always a challenge as they lose their menace if they keep failing to defeat the heroes. Rebels has gone the Buffy route of introducing a new "Big Bad" for each season (so far).I await the season 2 DVD with interest to see where it goes.

Good villains is a fine line to dance on. If they have too much plot armour, it gets ridiculous as well (e.g. Robin Hobbs books).

I've nothing against Rebels, it's not to my tastes but that's fine - it's not meant to be.

The FFG models however are ugly as sin - I really don't like the Ghost and am similarly disappointed in the look of the Shadowcaster.

Maybe it's trying to take a cgi cartoon and realise it in plastic, I dunno, but I do know I'm not buying a Ghost or Shadowcaster...

That's just my opinion though,and I certainly won't put down anyone who disagrees.

I hate the rebels art style, 3D animation over background that tries to look hand drawn is just offensive to me as an artist.

Then there's poor story and characterization on top, weak villains make the heroes come off as Mary sues.

Then we have the utter disrespect for previous lore.

Yeah fair to say I have no love for rebels.

That's a rather sensitive outlook for an artist; there are far worse things to be offended by than not adhering to strict 3D or 2D purism. (I can only imagine how Titan AE made you feel.)

The villains get in some good shots, and Darth Vader straight up wins every time he appears.

Are you talking about Legends? You know they both tributed and consulted Timothy Zahn for season 2?

Perfectly fair to say.

I actually had a discussion with a guy about Sabine's armor when the preview with her came out. Considering she focuses on being quick and carrying a lot of bombs the bare minimum armor makes sense. I also don't mind the color of her armor. It shows that not all mandalorians are purely warriors (also the new canons mandalorians are more like the original legends version, before they become Jedi haters pretty much). Also, Clone Wars went through the same growing pains Rebels has.

Stop joking, she is more dressed for roller derby than blaster pistol fights.

Rebels is a mostly forgettable show that has managed to improve a bit in its second season but I'm still on the fence about it. If I "hate" it at all, it's because the ship designs are such an eyesore.

Its saving grace is that it's helping to bring some of the prequel ships to X-Wing. Those movies may have been an utter waste of everyone's time, but they definitely had some pretty spaceships. Even if its stat line was all ones and zeros, I'd still buy a half dozen Naboo fighters. They have that 50's hotrod look that brings all the boys to the yard. The Gozanti really grows on you after a while. And I'm stoked for ARCs, ridiculous wing cannons and all. 

imho, it falls short because it rehashes too many main points from the OT and uses animations that range from good to mediocre.

Where would Rebels fit?

A solid 5 on Keffisch's Subjective Scale of CG animation.

What would be your ten?

original.gif

Tough call. I am torn between Apleseed Alpha and Space Pirate Captain Harlock.

Those are full-lengths though but for a recent series, I'd say Netflix's Knights of Sydonia (the cell shading takes some getting used to but man, those animations). For very old stuff I'd say Roughnecks: Starship Trooper Chronicles, it has not aged well but when it came out (late 90s iirc) it was top-notch.

To further elaborate on my comment on Rebels' rehash of the OT.

Young kid runs away to become a jedi.

Finds a crass alien brute, a charming roguish fellow that takes him under his wing and a stern and capable woman.

Now where have we seen that before.. :)

the main problem with rebels is the channel it comes on! waaaay too many kidified stupid commercials!!  like the stupid dubbly dubbly doo one. where they just repeat those words over and over and over.. And other similar Disney commercials. Also i am not a fan of the doe eyes but if one can get past that its actually pretty good...  And yeah the ship colors are a bit to cartoonish looking for me as well..  

It makes me think more of an RPG session in the old WEG Star Wars. Small group, single ship, starts out on one planet doing terrorist stuff and gradually expands to a broader role in the Rebellion.

And Keffish, if you're going to complain about Rebels using that formula, are you SURE you're a Star Wars fan? I mean, you must have despised ANH for ripping off Hidden Fortress. :P

When using formulas for the story, what makes the difference is how well the characters are fleshed-out and how 'real' their interactions feel. Himouto! Umaru-chan is interested despite the moemoe design and standardized highschool slice-of-life because of how her interactions are different with each person; contrariwise, Watamote failed for me because of how predictably banal each interaction was going to be - she'd try to blend in, fail miserably, feel humiliated, and retreat to try again without learning any real lesson.

And that's where Rebels succeeds. It has the standard formula to feel familiar for kids, but the characters themselves are so well fleshed-out and interact so believably that you can't help but feel they're real.

Putting too much emphasis on animation and art style seems shallow to me - it's being impressed by superficial glitziness. What matters to me is storyline, believability of characters, and how well they use the medium.

And they use the visual medium very well. You don't need Hera and Kanan to say, "We share a bunk and love each other" because they show it - Kanan's awkward need to impress Hera's father, her lifted eyebrow and crossed arms when he gets slickered by a pro gambler, their arguments that are at once highly personal and yet still caring.

The crew is established as an adoptive family and adheres to that. It's... very, very good.

Rebels is ok. Yes, in a way it's "Star Wars for kids", but I see nothing wrong in that.

Some episodes are a bit thin, mostly following the pattern:

1. Characters get into trouble.

2. Problem miraculously solved.

But in season 2 the story starts progressing a little bit better and the episodes start linking up better with each other.

As for ships from the show making their way into the X-Wing game, I would have preferred if they had not. But I do understand FFG's need to find new ships to sell. They can't just rehash the classic ones forever.

Rebels is ok. Yes, in a way it's "Star Wars for kids", but I see nothing wrong in that.

Some episodes are a bit thin, mostly following the pattern:

1. Characters get into trouble.

2. Problem miraculously solved.

But in season 2 the story starts progressing a little bit better and the episodes start linking up better with each other.

Isn't this pretty much the formula for just about every TV show ever though?  Very few shows start to establish serious plot arcs in their first season outside of a few episodes (usually the season finale).  They tend to focus on episode-of-the-day stuff, because the show is still establishing its world and characters.  Rebels is among the norm in this regard.

I watched Rebels with my 8 year old son, and he loved it. His excitement was infectious and I thoroughly enjoyed watching it with him and remembering why I first fell in love with the films. Not all the episodes are great, but if it hooks another generation (who might be a little too young to watch the new films in the cinema) then it's all good with me. I can't wait until X wings show up though!

I don't like rebels that much and I also don't have a problem with the ships of rebel. I think the hate results out of the fact that there are so much extremely nice other ships from the extended universe many players would prefer to see. Like the Chiss claw-craft or the R22 or stuff like that.

The only thing I don't really like about the ships is that the big ones (ghost, shadowcaster) look a bit edged due to the 3-d-modelling of the series. Also the colors look very much comic-like. But this is not really problematic for me since I just repaint them in such a case.

In fact I just LOVE the fang already before it is released since it is a really cool ship and the skill9-pilot is awesome.

In the end I don't think the majority of players really hate the rebel-ships they would just prefer other stuff...me included btw.

U means Ugly as hell

simple as that.

Plus the characters are made for ten year olds, with completely simplistic motives and little development

ah, yeah, discussed a hundred times before, please use the Search function.

Mine is the ludicrous stupidity of the stormtroopers in the ep with the mandalorian girl and the shadow caster...

It's wrong on so many levels. Even the stormtrooper going "don't.." Rather than stunning her into a coma.