Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thespaceinvader

TSI Painting and modelling

63 posts in this topic

Imperials

My overall colour scheme for these was decided after seeing a pic of the Phantom when looking to paint that, with white in place of the usual grey.  I usually spray white, fill in the panels with Nato Grey and Army Painter Strong Tone.  The cockpits are a red ramp, and the engines are usually blue, though I painted the Lambda before I worked that out.  The accent colour is purple because I like it (this will be a theme in my work) and because I have a really nice Purple Wash from GW's second wave of paints (the hx shaped pop tops) which is still good and is incredibly vibrant.  Eventually (lol) I will repaint all my TIEs to match this scheme.

Carnor Jax

bxq9c7Vl.jpg

Soontir Fel

ymIgo5al.jpg

Omega Leader

Hi7i6vXl.jpg

Quickdraw

kX5YMu1l.jpg

Soontir with Whisper - at some point I need to take a good turnaround of the latter.

NOgzRLzl.jpg

Bomber Buddy!

YLaNdvTl.jpg

Dazzle camo shuttle - in preparation for doing the same to my Deci at some point the the future.

zxde7Nzl.jpg

Just a Defender

HYbRVz4l.jpg

Legomator

jj9RXmIl.png

n9epSJtl.jpg

The long-awaited Dazzlemator!

Edited by thespaceinvader

Scum

N'Dru Suhlak

Lio6Jijl.jpg

Mist Hunter

1bqn85gl.jpg

(I may come back to this later and add a Prince logo somewhere, though that wasn't the original intention)

Manaroo

8tFpWvAl.jpg

YV666 Magnet Mod

Painted the magnet modded YV, inspired by Korben's taxi from 5th Element.

s7pGL8al.jpg

9kdO0KUm.jpgVzx711lm.jpgSFwxQyVm.jpgLumMOlam.jpg9xG6t8Fm.jpg

I like this mod a lot - I made it such that I could swap the direction the wings are pointing at will, so the polarities of the magnets point in to the centre of the ship.  I think it looks best if the wings are pointed the opposite way to the stock ones, so I popped them off to turn them round, but I couldn't get them to seat centrally turned round, so I just magged them.  8mmx1mm disc magnets and araldite plus my thinnest saw blade and a bit of filing and sanding.

Spinny fang.  Probably gonna do the other one as well, really pleased with how this came out.

6kIVdNBl.jpg

jEwWq5al.jpg

ktR7grhl.jpg

Ghtroc scratchbuild.  It's really not very accurate so I'm calling it the RTSS-720. That is, Ridiculous Turtle Space Ship 720.

Other modelling and painting projects related to Star Wars

My TIE Pilot costume for the 2016 Yavin Open:

PXaLuf7l.jpg?1

(If you saw me there and got a pic, PM me, I'd like to get tagged in it)

And Uk Games Expo/Euros 2017

pIT0MN6l.jpg

If you see me, say hi!

Imperials

My overall colour scheme for these was decided after seeing a pic of the Phantom when looking to paint that, with white in place of the usual grey.  I usually spray white, fill in the panels with Nato Grey and Army Painter Strong Tone.  The cockpits are a red ramp, and the engines are usually blue, though I painted the Lambda before I worked that out.  The accent colour is purple because I like it (this will be a theme in my work) and because I have a really nice Purple Wash from GW's second wave of paints (the hx shaped pop tops) which is still good and is incredibly vibrant.  Eventually (lol) I will repaint all my TIEs to match this scheme.

Carnor Jax

bxq9c7Vl.jpg

Soontir Fel

ymIgo5al.jpg

Omega Leader

Hi7i6vXl.jpg

Soontir with Whisper - at some point I need to take a good turnaround of the latter.

NOgzRLzl.jpg

Dazzle camo shuttle - in preparation for doing the same to my Deci at some point the the future.

zxde7Nzl.jpg[/quote

I like the paint schemes but that Lambda is hard on the eyes!

That's the idea!  Dazzle camouflage, for those who might not be aware, came about in the days between the two world wars before radar detection systems were both good and mobile, and served to confuse visual identifiers, and make it difficult to determine which way a ship was travelling and how fast it was going.

I just think it looks cool.

Biophysical and ianmiddy like this

Imperials

Carnor Jax

bxq9c7Vl.jpg

Soontir Fel

ymIgo5al.jpg

Omega Leader

Hi7i6vXl.jpg

NOgzRLzl.jpg

zxde7Nzl.jpg[/quote

I like the paint schemes but that Lambda is hard on the eyes!

All of your repaints are FANTASTIC !

THEY REALLY STAND OUT  :D

and are very well executed.

But I really like the Shuttle with its Battleship Dazzle Pattern.

Superb.

Well done.

All the best,

Barry.

thespaceinvader likes this

My Pleasure My Friend.

You deserve Praise for your excellent work.

Thats what I have always loved about a separate painting forum.

We get to marvel at each others work with ease.

all the best,

Barry.

The lambda may have come out better if it would have been a gray on dark or lighter gray. The contrast between the white and black is far to obvious as a subdued shade of the same color like on naval vessels. Good job though

The lambda may have come out better if it would have been a gray on dark or lighter gray. The contrast between the white and black is far to obvious as a subdued shade of the same color like on naval vessels. Good job though

The reason for the stark contrast in the scatter paint schemes during word war one was not to hide it.

But confuse the shape of the vessel on the surface water.

Mainly against U Boats.

Worked well when lots of vessels group together.

As from a distance against the horizon. The shapes look confusing to the eye.

Unrecognisable through a periscope.

That's the reason for the stark white and black.

Done on purpose.

The grey would wash out the black from a distance.

And that's not the point of the scatter camouflage.

Spaceinvader did it the right way.

And very good it is too !

All the best.

Barry

Jaffamaster likes this

Yup.  Dazzle camo isn't intended to hide, it's intended to confuse the eye and make visual range- and direction-finding harder.  Given that SW seems to rely largely on viisual ID, it only seemed appropriate.  Plus it looks cool IMO.

Stoneface likes this

In pic one it's hard to see how you did this. In pic two, we have a clue. Can you show us her rear? I meant the ship of course. :rolleyes:

And going for a long shot here: Did you take pics of the process for this mod?

NP.

Basically, I used 1mm brass rod and .5mm brass rod, a razor saw, a file, a pin vice drill, superglue:

1: Saw off the wings, as straight as possible.  No need to saw all the way, they'll snap off once you get a clean line started.  Clean up the cuts.  I also trimmed the area just behind the cockpit a touch where it has a bit of a waist in the ship design that they couldn't reproduce on the mini.  Also clip off the peg and trim the area flat.

2: drill for 1mm brass rod from the centre point of the four engines on the main fuselage right down past the turbine-looking bit where the wings join on.  Keep this hole as close to the centre line of the ship as possible top to bottom and side to side.

3: use your razor saw to cut off the back engine, then the turbine-looking bit.  Keep the cuts as square and perpendicular as you can make them.  Clean out the holes you drilled, and do your best with a file to square any obvious eccentricities, but remember you don't have a lot of material to work with.

4: Reassemble everything on a long piece of brass rod - glue the cockpit on, leave the turbine bit loose, then glue the engine on, making sure it aligns properly with the cockpit.  It might help to mark the pieces when you cut them apart to make sure it goes back the right way.  Keep spinning the turbine bit whilst the glue dries to make sure it doesn't get stuck itself.

5: Pin the wings back on with .5mm brass rod.

6: Bend the piece of 1mm brass rod currently sticking out of the engine of your ship into a kind of squared-off question mark shape, so that the wings can spin freely but you bring the rod to vertical so it can sit in the middle of the base.

7: clip off the male part from a base peg, and drill a 1mm hole in the top.

8: glue in your support rod.

9: play with your spinny fang.

Be careful with storage, the whole arrangement is kinda fragile.

Force Majeure likes this