Sign in to follow this  
LeighPouse

So... My PC's tried to solve a puzzle by licking a wall today

Given without any context but one of my PC's decided that the way to find their way out of the locked room situation they found themselves in was to lick the wall.

They then asked if they noticed anything in the taste, I (being very confused at this strange turn of events), said that it was "Woody and slightly salty". This was my big mistake, she then relayed this to her companions and THEY ALL STARTED LICKING THE WALL. Well, all but one of them and at the end of the session I rewarded him with 5xp bonus for not wierding me out.

So what strange things have your guys, or you personally, have done in a game?

Thanks,

LeighPouse

In my last session, a younger player with a young character (who is playing a mandalorian Bounty Hunter working for the Rebellion) decided to try and get another job from their contact.  He rolled multiple failures and a disrepair.  

The contact tossed him a pair of boots, put them on the desk and said he your pay 10 credits for him to shine him.  The player took a swing at him and missed.  The NPC (Rolling 1 triumph and several successes and several advantages) drew his vibrorapier from his cain, swept the PC's legs out from under him with the cain knocking him on his back, and carving a Z into his armor.  The next round he lays into him with a terrifying Scathing Tirade leaving the PC with 1 strain left and backs off to give the PC a chance to stand down. 

The PC got up and started fumbeling for his blaster and the other 3 PCs drew on him and shot the rouge PC with blasters on stun leaving him with a total of 27 strain (out of 12)

In my last session, a younger player with a young character (who is playing a mandalorian Bounty Hunter working for the Rebellion) decided to try and get another job from their contact.  He rolled multiple failures and a disrepair.  

The contact tossed him a pair of boots, put them on the desk and said he your pay 10 credits for him to shine him.  The player took a swing at him and missed.  The NPC (Rolling 1 triumph and several successes and several advantages) drew his vibrorapier from his cain, swept the PC's legs out from under him with the cain knocking him on his back, and carving a Z into his armor.  The next round he lays into him with a terrifying Scathing Tirade leaving the PC with 1 strain left and backs off to give the PC a chance to stand down. 

The PC got up and started fumbeling for his blaster and the other 3 PCs drew on him and shot the rouge PC with blasters on stun leaving him with a total of 27 strain (out of 12)

Doesn't sound like that could've gone much worse for him haha (without actual death)

Posted Today, 09:28 PM

JalekZem, on 04 Jun 2016 - 9:22 PM, said:snapback.png

Doesn't sound like that could've gone much worse for him haha (without actual death)

Well..let me see as I didn't actually bother to count the successes, but there were at least 5 from a S+1 pierce 5 weapon...so that would have been a base 4 dmg +9 ignoring 5 points of soak against a Brawn 2 PC wearing padded armor with 12 or 14 Wounds, plus the crit, plus activating sunder on the armor....

Well there was the time my Chandra Fan jumped onto the back of a Devaronian player, put my feet on his shoulders and grabbed his horns and shouted Giddy Up.  Then upon seeing my first light saber I immediately took out my crayons and drew up plans for a light saber hover mower so I could even up the size difference by mowing them down with Deadpool like drawings of people missing legs.

After one of my players caused a commotion and started a fight a group of Storm Troopers enter weapons drawn ready to arrest everyone involved.

In order to help his companion escape one of the other players (who'd not been involved in the fight) used Move from the sidelines to bash one troopers head into the other then dived on the first claiming he had attacked his friend and was clearly a rebel (Triumphing his deception check in the process), in the ensuring confusion the others escape.

The player who'd grabbed the trooper gets taken into questioning but after some very charming (another triumph) and to be fair some very logical reasoning I couldn't think of a reason why the Imps would hold him.

Played a game with pre-gen characters, I was playing a hot shot rebel pilot and I had a Chandra Fan sidekick.  We were trying to escape Hoth during the Imperial invasion and just had a run in with a Wampa who was "mysteriously" missing one hand.  My character took the other hand as a trophy after killing the Wampa and jut needed to sneak up on the last Rebel transport off Hoth just past 3 squads of Stormtroopers.  My character made his check and ducked behind a cargo loader.  The Chandra Fan sidekick was not so lucky, rolled bad and landed in a pile of snow after tripping.  It went down hill from there.  The Stormtroopers saw the Chandra Fan, now covered in snow, and had no idea what to think.  My pilot character decided to be a jerk, and with the trophy Wampa hand, waved it just above the top of the loader and made sounds like a roaring Wampa.  The Stormtrooper panicked and thought the now thought they were being attacked by a family of Wampas, with the S]snow covered Chandra Fan being the baby Wampa.  The Stormtroopers fired on "baby" first.

Well we have this one player.......

Never really pays attention and seems to always do the wrong thing. This one has gone down in history with my group.

They are on Dac with an important npc having come to fetch them. The empire have impounded his transport at the starport and they have to find a way to get off planet. Most of the group decide to "borrow" a delivery already going to airline and get in that way. She decides to sneak in Via departures.

So I let her get through departures and she gets air side. The docking bay with the transport has a group of law enforcement outside (and more with a stormtroopers Sargent inside). She walks up to the fuzz and with influence says.....

"I am crew for this ship"

now knowing she does this kind of thing, and with the rest of the table facepalming I decide to give her a second chance. The Sargent at this point comes out of the docking bay and challenges her........

"I am crew for this ship"

cue one arrest and rescue.

Ugh, my group .... it's controlled chaos I tell you.

We were running the "Hidden Depth's" adventure from the GM's kit. The group had managed to sneak along the tunnel into the area that was the Rubat Spinner's nest. They had previously gotten a triumph on a roll to track the spiders (which they knew were there from a track the spiders had set previously. They chose for the triumph that since they knew the spiders fed off of rubat crystals that they could track the spider's to where the crystal chamber was. I played along, but said that although they could indeed trace the spider's to their food source, it was because they had slain a prospector, who's body sat in the center of the room with a sack full of rubat crystals, most likley from the source, and he might have a map on his body. They decided to invstigate the body, and all got pretty good sneak rolls, but the diplomat didn't get any successes (no threats either) just a bunch of advantages.

I narrated that as he "crept into the room behind the others, you notice an odd gleam towards the center of the room. A stalactite descends from the ceiling, and in the dark of the cave, it appears to have a dark purple hue in the gloom. As you watch, the gleam you spotted moves along the stalactite and is joined by another! You realize now the gleam is not the play of light off of stone, but rather a sinister set of eyes! With the body of the prospector at your feet, you realize the stalactite nearby is full of Rubat Spinners happily feeding off of the crystals in his pack! The spinner that spotted you looks to be turning to the others to raise the alert."

I had intended to give the group (since they'd all snuck really well) an opportunity to ready their weapons, but what happened next I couldn't have expected.

The Diplomat, without missing a beat, turned to me and said, "I Discredit him."

It took me a second. I had first thought, how is he going to discredit a spider to the other spiders. He answered the question though, "I quickly grab the crystals out of the sack and hide them, throwing some residue on the spider that spotted me." He reminded me that they were all happily nomming on the crystal in my description, and he was going to implicate the one spider in having more than his share.

I went with it, after all, it was a social action to shout to the other spiders, and only the one had noticed him. I assigned him 2 Setback dice on the Deception for the Discredit roll because he wasn't actually talking to anyone, only using subtly action to cause innuendo. He made the roll with flying colors, netting enough advantages to upgrade the difficulty two additional times. The Spider had a presence of 1, but I gave him two boost dice because he was talking with other spiders. Discredit per the rules upgrades the difficulty of a social check, and I ruled that alerting the other spiders would normally be so inconsequential of a check that it would be zero difficulty, so the first "upgrade" would add 1 purple. The second upgrade would make that purple into a red, and then the third would of course add another purple.

The PC's (in between breaths of their now riotous laughter) opted to be total d-bags and upgrade the poor spider's difficulty again with a Destiny, so the poor spider was rolling a single green and two blue against two red.

As you may have expected, a Despair and no successes was the result. The group decided to have the despair cause the spiders to get into a fight over the whole thing, allowing the group to move on unmolested.

So in my mind, I have this mental image of the portly little Rubat Spinner, his little mandibles full of crystal, munching a warning to his two big brothers, hoping to finally win their affection for spotting the invaders in their nest. As he mumbles an alert, his brothers turn to see the crystal powder all around him, the empty bag of crystals and his overstuffed spider cheeks spilling bits as he talks.

Poor, poor, spider.

The most recent affront to decency came from the same character. We're now in "Chronicles of the Gatekeeper," wherein the PC's are expected to travel to the planet of Cato Nemoidia in order to follow up on recovering the second part of a holocron in a galaxy spanning scavenger hunt. The PCs came to the realization that travelling to the Imperial lock-down world would be tricky as Cato Nemoidia was a primary world for the Separatists (being home to the Trade Federation) and it's now a heavily regulated Imperial world with tight security. They knew without a good reason to be there for an extended time period, they would be facing some serious unwanted attention.

So, being industrious and morally ambiguous ... they decided to research Cato Neimodia with the intention of selling themselves as a startup business. Finding it the home of the Droid workshops that started the Separatist army, and home to Baktoid, Cybot Galactica and Czerka Corp's Automation Division, they settled on a robotics concept. Looking over their specialties, they needed a way to tie in their various backgrounds to make a reasonable cover story. The corporation they decided to set up was a startup aimed at creating Life Replica Droids for use as companions on floating brothels. The idea would be to sell it as a "100% healthy service for fleet based soldiers in the Imperial Military" to allow prevent military secrets from being released to local "companions" and ensure no down time from STD's for the crew and soldiers. In addition to the military applications of the project, it would allow for private sector "pleasure cruises" and "floating brothels" that would target the wealthy looking to fulfill their fantasies in a totally safe environment. Imagine the old "Fantasy Island" or "Westworld" ideas with a Star Wars twist.

So, after quickly filing the corporate paperwork, they got to work on the holonet to get investors before ever heading to Cato Nemoidia, and in so doing, the slicer member of the group rolled two Triumphs. Thanks to the Triumph added to his roll from the Diplomat's use of Valuable Facts, they wound up creating an overnight sensation and getting a huge promise of investment. Using some of it (along with 100K credits from the sale of a starship they recovered in the first part of the adventure) they rented the most luxurious suite they could and made contact with the big three business to set up pitch meetings. The scheduling gave them an entire week to operate on Cato Nemoidia without suspicion. During the course of the adventure, they wound up making enough rolls to get honest interest from all the companies and used it to leverage a bidding war among them. The players (being actual Operations Directors and Corporate Project planners for logistics and manufacturing companies) actually did ramp up schedules and projected sales figures for the first year. The potential earnings of the company factors into the millions of credits year on year, and within a year of operation would amass a fleet of 10 Pleasure Yachts and a Kwenn sized space station manned by the companion droids! After 5 years, conservative projections showed a total revenue of 84 million credits year.

Given without any context but one of my PC's decided that the way to find their way out of the locked room situation they found themselves in was to lick the wall.

They then asked if they noticed anything in the taste, I (being very confused at this strange turn of events), said that it was "Woody and slightly salty". This was my big mistake, she then relayed this to her companions and THEY ALL STARTED LICKING THE WALL. Well, all but one of them and at the end of the session I rewarded him with 5xp bonus for not wierding me out.

Not without precedence - there was an old Infocom game called Stationfall, where one of the puzzles you had to solve was translate ancient writing from a species that communicated by taste. So each printed character was sweet/salty, spicy, bland, and so on when licked. Figuring out what the text was saying was a huge part of the back story of the game.

Edited by Desslok

Ugh, my group .... it's controlled chaos I tell you.

We were running the "Hidden Depth's" adventure from the GM's kit. The group had managed to sneak along the tunnel into the area that was the Rubat Spinner's nest. They had previously gotten a triumph on a roll to track the spiders (which they knew were there from a track the spiders had set previously. They chose for the triumph that since they knew the spiders fed off of rubat crystals that they could track the spider's to where the crystal chamber was. I played along, but said that although they could indeed trace the spider's to their food source, it was because they had slain a prospector, who's body sat in the center of the room with a sack full of rubat crystals, most likley from the source, and he might have a map on his body. They decided to invstigate the body, and all got pretty good sneak rolls, but the diplomat didn't get any successes (no threats either) just a bunch of advantages.

I narrated that as he "crept into the room behind the others, you notice an odd gleam towards the center of the room. A stalactite descends from the ceiling, and in the dark of the cave, it appears to have a dark purple hue in the gloom. As you watch, the gleam you spotted moves along the stalactite and is joined by another! You realize now the gleam is not the play of light off of stone, but rather a sinister set of eyes! With the body of the prospector at your feet, you realize the stalactite nearby is full of Rubat Spinners happily feeding off of the crystals in his pack! The spinner that spotted you looks to be turning to the others to raise the alert."

I had intended to give the group (since they'd all snuck really well) an opportunity to ready their weapons, but what happened next I couldn't have expected.

The Diplomat, without missing a beat, turned to me and said, "I Discredit him."

It took me a second. I had first thought, how is he going to discredit a spider to the other spiders. He answered the question though, "I quickly grab the crystals out of the sack and hide them, throwing some residue on the spider that spotted me." He reminded me that they were all happily nomming on the crystal in my description, and he was going to implicate the one spider in having more than his share.

I went with it, after all, it was a social action to shout to the other spiders, and only the one had noticed him. I assigned him 2 Setback dice on the Deception for the Discredit roll because he wasn't actually talking to anyone, only using subtly action to cause innuendo. He made the roll with flying colors, netting enough advantages to upgrade the difficulty two additional times. The Spider had a presence of 1, but I gave him two boost dice because he was talking with other spiders. Discredit per the rules upgrades the difficulty of a social check, and I ruled that alerting the other spiders would normally be so inconsequential of a check that it would be zero difficulty, so the first "upgrade" would add 1 purple. The second upgrade would make that purple into a red, and then the third would of course add another purple.

The PC's (in between breaths of their now riotous laughter) opted to be total d-bags and upgrade the poor spider's difficulty again with a Destiny, so the poor spider was rolling a single green and two blue against two red.

As you may have expected, a Despair and no successes was the result. The group decided to have the despair cause the spiders to get into a fight over the whole thing, allowing the group to move on unmolested.

So in my mind, I have this mental image of the portly little Rubat Spinner, his little mandibles full of crystal, munching a warning to his two big brothers, hoping to finally win their affection for spotting the invaders in their nest. As he mumbles an alert, his brothers turn to see the crystal powder all around him, the empty bag of crystals and his overstuffed spider cheeks spilling bits as he talks.

Poor, poor, spider.

The most recent affront to decency came from the same character. We're now in "Chronicles of the Gatekeeper," wherein the PC's are expected to travel to the planet of Cato Nemoidia in order to follow up on recovering the second part of a holocron in a galaxy spanning scavenger hunt. The PCs came to the realization that travelling to the Imperial lock-down world would be tricky as Cato Nemoidia was a primary world for the Separatists (being home to the Trade Federation) and it's now a heavily regulated Imperial world with tight security. They knew without a good reason to be there for an extended time period, they would be facing some serious unwanted attention.

So, being industrious and morally ambiguous ... they decided to research Cato Neimodia with the intention of selling themselves as a startup business. Finding it the home of the Droid workshops that started the Separatist army, and home to Baktoid, Cybot Galactica and Czerka Corp's Automation Division, they settled on a robotics concept. Looking over their specialties, they needed a way to tie in their various backgrounds to make a reasonable cover story. The corporation they decided to set up was a startup aimed at creating Life Replica Droids for use as companions on floating brothels. The idea would be to sell it as a "100% healthy service for fleet based soldiers in the Imperial Military" to allow prevent military secrets from being released to local "companions" and ensure no down time from STD's for the crew and soldiers. In addition to the military applications of the project, it would allow for private sector "pleasure cruises" and "floating brothels" that would target the wealthy looking to fulfill their fantasies in a totally safe environment. Imagine the old "Fantasy Island" or "Westworld" ideas with a Star Wars twist.

So, after quickly filing the corporate paperwork, they got to work on the holonet to get investors before ever heading to Cato Nemoidia, and in so doing, the slicer member of the group rolled two Triumphs. Thanks to the Triumph added to his roll from the Diplomat's use of Valuable Facts, they wound up creating an overnight sensation and getting a huge promise of investment. Using some of it (along with 100K credits from the sale of a starship they recovered in the first part of the adventure) they rented the most luxurious suite they could and made contact with the big three business to set up pitch meetings. The scheduling gave them an entire week to operate on Cato Nemoidia without suspicion. During the course of the adventure, they wound up making enough rolls to get honest interest from all the companies and used it to leverage a bidding war among them. The players (being actual Operations Directors and Corporate Project planners for logistics and manufacturing companies) actually did ramp up schedules and projected sales figures for the first year. The potential earnings of the company factors into the millions of credits year on year, and within a year of operation would amass a fleet of 10 Pleasure Yachts and a Kwenn sized space station manned by the companion droids! After 5 years, conservative projections showed a total revenue of 84 million credits year.

That's awesome. Moments like that will stick with your players for years, or even decades. It reminds me of the creative financing done by Karen Traviss' Null ARC troopers in her Clone Wars novels.

A few from my current campaign.

When our Pathfinder tamed a lylek in one roll (our GM has very poor luck with boss battles, we once took down a droideka in four rounds without being hit once).

Also when we managed to persuade an ISB agent our multi-species former Jedi Youngling clan were devoted Imperial loyalists and stole an entire Wookiee village away from under his nose.

Player tried to jump a gap of 10 feet i threw in a red dice for a hard athletics 1 despair 3 threat was his roll. I wont stop people from doing stupid and he fell to his death...there was a airspeeder the group had as well but they didn't want to go back for it and there was no rush.

he had fair warning that failure was death but was confident in his 5 dice.

Edited by Tassedar

Once had the PC chased away from theire Starship in an mysterios Fog and an enourmus Bullrancor after them. (everytime he raised his voice to growl the players had to make an fear check aginst three red.)

after the chase they fall of a cliff and I thought they´ll get the hint that they are for now aren´t able to return to the ship...

well the pacifistic healer had an different thought... instead of searching for the rest of the crew in this save area he tried to climb the cliff up... with 2 agi versus 5 purple... he didn´t made it... so he tried again...even spended a DP to find an easyer passage... now trying agains 4 purple... I thought he would get it if I Upgrade his roll one time... he tried and failed with despair so somekind of flying lizzard attacked him while climbing.

He tried one hole IT day before he gave up...

later on he found an rideble Lizzard (something like the Varacyll of Episode II) happily he used it against my initial though of finding the rest of the team mates... no rode back and climbed the cliff up... no problem for the animal. Up there he was back in the fog without orientation but tried to force his way throug... next moment the the Bullrancor scream really near to him... the Lizard gone crazy and and threw him down.

When he stood up the animal had run away. he tried to push further... then he stod in front of that beast... all alone, only with an ancient sword equippt, I told him he can sense an enormus aura of the darkside from this enourmous creature dubble the size of an normal wild rancor...

And for some reason I can´t figure out until today the next thing that happens I would have never predicted from this normaly so pacifistic healer with no real chance in any battle sofar.

At first he succedded the Fearcheck against 4 RED Dice with an Triumph an 4 blank red dice...

Then he drew the sword and... attacked... screaming "you beast of the darkside shall vanish!"...

he succeded but couldn´t breakt through the soak... so all that happened was that he heard a *Boink* when ancient steel hit on ancient leather... then the rancor totally misses. And again this healer tried to attack... with the same outcome... the Bullrancor attacked also and connected the hit heavily... one hit down from 0 Wounds up to 3 more than the doubled Threshold... it was awfull every single dice showed the double succsess and no failures.

We ruled that he was now captured and hung as food reserve in the cave of the beast (luke and Wampa style)

after the crew by "lucky acciden" found the cave while the Bullrancor was away he was saved.

when they finaly made it back to theire Ship I let him appear once again (just wanted them to hurry up an flee from the planet... well guess who thought that he has some unfinished buisness with this monster... He was sure he could take it on since he now has a newly aquired Baselightsaber...

the group facepalmed, I facepalmed and the rancor needed this time only one attak to send him flying... luckly with some thread so I ruled that the hard attack throwed him into the ship