Sign in to follow this  
SmartCookie

4 HWKs just went 6-0 at the Yavin Open in the UK

Be interesting to see how far this list goes. While the "neat" factor is kind of there, I doubt it will do wonders against some competent lists and players. Day two should be a good indicator

Damned cynics.  Believe man, you've gotta BELIEVE!

Funny, I would have thought this list would have had a hard time against Aces, especially Palp Aces. A well turtled-up Ace like Sontir is not going to have much to fear from TLTs, especially back up by Palp. OK, he can probably only get into the doughnut hole of one at a time but with 4 agility, Autothrusters, and Palp as backup, TLTs are going to struggle to land any hits at all.

Palob could make life uncomfortable but I imagine he would target #1 vs Aces due to his annoyance factor. Not saying it cannot be done as 6-0 clearly speaks for itself. I am just interested in what match-ups he had and how he handled them.

Individually, Soontir wouldn't have a lot to fear, but the combination of Palobs ability, the dice modification/token denying Scum crew and 8 3 dice attacks stands a pretty good chance of punching through. I'm more impresed that he's taking down the Jumpmasters.

This guy is creative and skilled.

I'm going to add my voice to those curious to see how he's defeating Jumpmasters with this list.

Also I'll put myself in the camp of those who are glad there's someone taking a supposedly useless ship and winning with it, thus laughing in the face of people who insist that one cannot be successful without one of the "meta" lists that these forums deem to be tournament worthy. I hope he wins the whole thing.

Assuming that Mark Stretch and whoever his opponent is we will be featuring their game on round one of the live stream tomorrow.

Link?

www.twitch.tv/firstearth

Due to start at 09:00 BST which is in just under 8 hours from this post

Assuming that Mark Stretch and whoever his opponent is we will be featuring their game on round one of the live stream tomorrow.

Link?

www.twitch.tv/firstearth

Due to start at 09:00 BST which is in just under 8 hours from this post

When will then be now!?!?

uikiHFH.gif

The use of both Torkhil and Palob's abilities, plus the three crew, make this list very decent. I'm liking the synergy and overall theme. I don't think it will be super competitive, or "meta-breaking", but it is a nice change of pace and shows how a player can use some of his favored ships to make something happen. Good for you sir, hope you're enjoying your games!

Not to detract from the amazingness that this is, and the clear skill of the pilot, but it's not far removed from Thug-Life...

HWKs compared to Y-wings are about 100 times cooler.

except they look like axe-chopped 1999 3D graphic bricks :D

Wrong year.

But **** good vs aces with some good flying.

Funny, I would have thought this list would have had a hard time against Aces, especially Palp Aces. A well turtled-up Ace like Sontir is not going to have much to fear from TLTs, especially back up by Palp. OK, he can probably only get into the doughnut hole of one at a time but with 4 agility, Autothrusters, and Palp as backup, TLTs are going to struggle to land any hits at all.

Palob could make life uncomfortable but I imagine he would target #1 vs Aces due to his annoyance factor. Not saying it cannot be done as 6-0 clearly speaks for itself. I am just interested in what match-ups he had and how he handled them.

Soontir might not be as scared against normal TLTs, but when 1 of them has zuckuss to make him reroll all his evades on both shots, and another has  4LOM to prevent him from spending an evade or focus token (whichever he has and you pick) on either shot (cause if you've got 1 ion from 4lom, might as well use it on the second shot too and get 2 tokens, they both go away anyway).  And a third has dengar for 2 pretty accurate shots.  Then you still have 2 more shots from the final guy (or you do him first hoping to strip some tokens before zuckuss/4lom shoot)

And he could have possibly stolen one of his tokens he is trying to turtle with, also :)

It's true!

13344525_10157011221055252_1029348264279

A++ for theory crafting and just plain ballsy.

F- for NOT PAINTING THE HWKS!!!! An awesome list like this deserves awesome scummy paint jobs. Come back when you pain them up like Elementals/Seasons/Fantastic Four/ect. Actually an Avegers set of HWKs would cool, Hulk, Cap, Bucket head and Blondie colors would be super sexy on those flying bricks.

I have four hawks, and must try this list ..

I've run the three named scum hawks with a z.95, but this is sweet...

Ditto on needing to try it. I took 4 HWKs to store champs this year, but that was before the wave 8 scum crew landed.

I play against Mark (or Stretchy as he often called) on a regular basis.

He had 2 lots of Fat Hans, 2 lots of Dash & Ghost and 2 lots of Palp aces yesterday.  In his own words "Aces are toast" but that wasn't always the case during practice until he worked out a stronger way to fly against them.  He beat both 100 nil yesterday and these were towards the end of the day against stronger players.

Dice wise he reckons 60 to 40 in his favour for the day which just improved his mov rather than changed the result of any matches.

He has a winning record against Jumpmasters in practice but that might have something to do with our practice group's poor ability at flying them.

I play against Mark (or Stretchy as he often called) on a regular basis.

He had 2 lots of Fat Hans, 2 lots of Dash & Ghost and 2 lots of Palp aces yesterday.  In his own words "Aces are toast" but that wasn't always the case during practice until he worked out a stronger way to fly against them.  He beat both 100 nil yesterday and these were towards the end of the day against stronger players.

Dice wise he reckons 60 to 40 in his favour for the day which just improved his mov rather than changed the result of any matches.

He has a winning record against Jumpmasters in practice but that might have something to do with our practice group's poor ability at flying them.

Sounds like a fair and honest assessment.  

It is possible to get in vs Scouts, but its much easier to fail and die in a fiery ball of death.  More so because you don't hve any sort of reposition and THEY go after most of the list.  

To be fair, palp aces are toast against this much anti-ace tech. Dash has a bad day too, though I suspect he was taking causalities nonetheless.

Jumpmasters... well, it's two torpedoes to kill one HWK, and one of them isn't shooting. Kill that one the next turn before it gets any shots off at all (torkil), while palob jams a second tube, and the damage race starts to tip in the hwks favor.

That's just theory, of course, and it depends too heavily on palob not being the first ship dead for my liking (granted, he should only take two hits if all three boats catch him in arc...), but I can definitely see it.

Remarkably solid. A gamble, but solid.

Edited by Reiver