Sign in to follow this  
SmartCookie

4 HWKs just went 6-0 at the Yavin Open in the UK

Love it, managed to have a brief chat with the lad running the list, seemed like a great guy. Always good to see someone thinking outside the box.

I've been having a lot of fun with Zuckuss, 4-LOM, Dengar and the new Scum crew, but I've been so focused on the Party Bus I never considered how they could be run on HWKs!

Not to detract from the amazingness that this is, and the clear skill of the pilot, but it's not far removed from Thug-Life...

It's the end of my second day off, and this might just make me even happier than I've been all week, to see such a massively "non-meta" list cause such an absurd upset. It warms my cynical meta-hating heart~! (Even though it's not THAT unconventional but still)

Just proving that theres ALWAYS a way to out-play the meta :D

No, if you use more than one HWK, that is unconventional. 4 HWKs, you crazy. 

It's 4 hwks with 4 TLTs though... 4 TLT is kind of, well... I'm new here and even I know about silliness like 4 TLT y-wing lists.

Sure.  Except quad TLT disappeared overnightw hen wave 8 hit because it gets wrecked by u-boats

100% correct. I would really like to know if he ran into any - I imagine he must have done. It would be great to see how he handled them. I completely accept he's done a fantastic job, but it's not like the list doesn't have precedence.

If he did meet them - he can steal focus from one, so no shooting (although they could target lock, but less effective), and he could realistically burn down another one 'fairly' quickly as he should be doing approx 8 damage turn, without it shooting as it's PS0 

Yeah, this is all I meant that the quad-tlt thing isnt new, it's just the kind of sideways utility this list has mixed in with the fairly consistent damage, on an under-utilized ship. Makes me really want to see some reports for how EXACTLY this list performed and against what.

So I have to buy a fourth HWK? 

Okay.

Pfft such a power gamer.
Clearly pay to win :P

:)

As for the ones, saying this is just like 4Ys with TLTs. No, it is a lot more difficult, as HWKs have the worst dial in the game, and are fragile.

But **** good vs aces with some good flying.

Funny, I would have thought this list would have had a hard time against Aces, especially Palp Aces. A well turtled-up Ace like Sontir is not going to have much to fear from TLTs, especially back up by Palp. OK, he can probably only get into the doughnut hole of one at a time but with 4 agility, Autothrusters, and Palp as backup, TLTs are going to struggle to land any hits at all.

Palob could make life uncomfortable but I imagine he would target #1 vs Aces due to his annoyance factor. Not saying it cannot be done as 6-0 clearly speaks for itself. I am just interested in what match-ups he had and how he handled them.

I also have been running a meta breaking list that has been turning lots of heads

Brath with VI, tractor beam and Twin Ion engine and 5 academy's, call me a maverick who does not follow the crowd, I welcome all your plaudits....

Okay I have lost 3 out of 6 only managed 2 modified wins and have not made the cut to the second day but it's still an achievement

As for the Hawks, well done that man

But **** good vs aces with some good flying.

Funny, I would have thought this list would have had a hard time against Aces, especially Palp Aces. A well turtled-up Ace like Sontir is not going to have much to fear from TLTs, especially back up by Palp. OK, he can probably only get into the doughnut hole of one at a time but with 4 agility, Autothrusters, and Palp as backup, TLTs are going to struggle to land any hits at all.

Palob could make life uncomfortable but I imagine he would target #1 vs Aces due to his annoyance factor. Not saying it cannot be done as 6-0 clearly speaks for itself. I am just interested in what match-ups he had and how he handled them.

Soontir might not be as scared against normal TLTs, but when 1 of them has zuckuss to make him reroll all his evades on both shots, and another has  4LOM to prevent him from spending an evade or focus token (whichever he has and you pick) on either shot (cause if you've got 1 ion from 4lom, might as well use it on the second shot too and get 2 tokens, they both go away anyway).  And a third has dengar for 2 pretty accurate shots.  Then you still have 2 more shots from the final guy (or you do him first hoping to strip some tokens before zuckuss/4lom shoot)

Not to detract from the amazingness that this is, and the clear skill of the pilot, but it's not far removed from Thug-Life...

HWKs compared to Y-wings are about 100 times cooler.

except they look like axe-chopped 1999 3D graphic bricks :D

Be interesting to see how far this list goes. While the "neat" factor is kind of there, I doubt it will do wonders against some competent lists and players. Day two should be a good indicator

Edited by ReaverRandall

Be interesting to see hoe far this list goes. While the "neat" factor is kind if there, I doubt it will do wonders against some competent lists and players. Day two should be a good indicator

And as I understand it has already taken down some very competent players.

Be interesting to see how far this list goes. While the "neat" factor is kind if there, I doubt it will do wonders against some competent lists and players. Day two should be a good indicator

You don't think he played against any competent lists or players to go undefeated all day?