Sign in to follow this  
JimbonX

FFG bring N1-Starfighter to X-Wing.

Posted this in the ARC-170 thread but it belongs more here...

Just downloaded the comic....

Rebel N1 Starfighters vs Imperial TIE fighters:

27416052866_9df61ff35e_b.jpg

27350945182_63a7a44aba_b.jpg

27378733701_edc92911d5_b.jpg

In official cannon and post Return of the Jedi no less...  Seems legit to me, Although I would rather the game have a rebel version of the paint scheme (grey underside with worn green or blue top maybe) rather than the Royal Naboo Paint (save that for modders and an Aces pack)

Ouch... this is SO sh*tty !

Leia as a pilot... Well no, thanks !

Leia in a Naboo ship... Well no again, she is an Alderaanian. And post-RotJ, when she ought to be a leader of the new republic if anything.

Pre-clone war fighter outflying the TIE fighter, a dodgy ship 30 years newer... Nope again !

This new "cannon" definitely gets more and more ridiculous.

I really don't understand why people can't wrap their heads around the Idea of a Technological Plateau.  The old republic was around for over 4,000 years with basically the same technology. Ship designs in the Star Wars universe being separated by 30, 100, or even 1,000 years has ABSOLUTELY NO IMPACT on how they compare.  It is entirely a question of how much money the builders wanted to sink into a fighter, the mission profile it is being designed for, and the skill of the pilot flying it.  If two ships are the SAME (or comparable) and one of them is actually much older (not the design, the physical ship) then it's possible it will have lower performance due to poor maintenance (like how the Y-Wings seem a little worse for wear now), but it's also entirely possible with the technology of the Star Wars Universe that a single ship could be maintained in good condition indefinitely.  

Yes, the N1 Starfighter (or the ARC-170, or the V-Wing, or a dozen other ships) were designed at least 20 years before the TIE Fighter;  IT DOES NOT MATTER!!! For all we know the N1 design may have been in use by the Naboo Royal guard for centuries.  As long as it met their mission profile there would be no reason to change it.  The ones seen in the comic were either newly built or well maintained, and they have the same mission profile as a TIE Fighter.  There's no reason they wouldn't be able to hold their own with good pilots flying them.

Nothing "new" is ever being invented in the Star Wars universe, things are simply coming in and out of favor as needs and desires change.  There are only ever "new" needs, willingness, and desires to make things.  Even the Death Star was not "new" technology, The Empire were simply the first (in a long time) to be willing and able to commit the resources needed to build it (and a fat lot of good it did them).

And as far as Leia being a pilot: She co-pilots the Falcon several times in ESB, does pretty good on the Speeder Bike in ROTJ, and I'm pretty sure the old EU had her in at least an X-Wing on more than one occasion.  I don't think Flying is her top skill, but she is a capable soldier, and flying is a part of that.  Also her mother is from Naboo (and also an N1 Pilot) so she is Definitely of Naboo blood, in addition to her upbringing as Alderanean.  You can have more than one home, and I'd imagine when one of them is utterly destroyed you might cling to the others a little harder. And if you know anything about Princess Leia, you know that while she is a great politician, she loves to get out there on secret missions and get her hands dirty.  Its like the plot of almost every story she is in.

LOL

Yes, there is a technical plateau, since war comes with technical enhancement of the things you actually use to kill other people. Just because, yes, it is better to have a best way to kill your opponent than the one he has to kill you. That is how wars are won. That is why Death Stars are built.

This is present in SW, through, for example, the arrival of A/B-wings or TIE interceptors at Endor.

As for Leiea, being capable to fly a freighter or a bike doesn't make you a war pilo (just as having a car license doesn't make you capable of being a professional racing pilot).

For her being capable of riding a bike through the forest without hitting a tree, th'at's not so wierd since she definitely is Force-susceptoble.

In official cannon and post Return of the Jedi no less...  Seems legit to me, Although I would rather the game have a rebel version of the paint scheme (grey underside with worn green or blue top maybe) rather than the Royal Naboo Paint (save that for modders and an Aces pack)

Leia in a Naboo ship... Well no again, she is an Alderaanian. And post-RotJ, when she ought to be a leader of the new republic if anything.

Pre-clone war fighter outflying the TIE fighter, a dodgy ship 30 years newer... Nope again !

I really don't understand why people can't wrap their heads around the Idea of a Technological Plateau.  The old republic was around for over 4,000 years with basically the same technology. Ship designs in the Star Wars universe being separated by 30, 100, or even 1,000 years has ABSOLUTELY NO IMPACT on how they compare.  It is entirely a question of how much money the builders wanted to sink into a fighter, the mission profile it is being designed for, and the skill of the pilot flying it.  If two ships are the SAME (or comparable) and one of them is actually much older (not the design, the physical ship) then it's possible it will have lower performance due to poor maintenance (like how the Y-Wings seem a little worse for wear now), but it's also entirely possible with the technology of the Star Wars Universe that a single ship could be maintained in good condition indefinitely.  

Yes, the N1 Starfighter (or the ARC-170, or the V-Wing, or a dozen other ships) were designed at least 20 years before the TIE Fighter;  IT DOES NOT MATTER!!! For all we know the N1 design may have been in use by the Naboo Royal guard for centuries.  As long as it met their mission profile there would be no reason to change it.  The ones seen in the comic were either newly built or well maintained, and they have the same mission profile as a TIE Fighter.  There's no reason they wouldn't be able to hold their own with good pilots flying them.

Nothing "new" is ever being invented in the Star Wars universe, things are simply coming in and out of favor as needs and desires change.  There are only ever "new" needs, willingness, and desires to make things.  Even the Death Star was not "new" technology, The Empire were simply the first (in a long time) to be willing and able to commit the resources needed to build it (and a fat lot of good it did them).

And as far as Leia being a pilot: She co-pilots the Falcon several times in ESB, does pretty good on the Speeder Bike in ROTJ, and I'm pretty sure the old EU had her in at least an X-Wing on more than one occasion.  I don't think Flying is her top skill, but she is a capable soldier, and flying is a part of that.  Also her mother is from Naboo (and also an N1 Pilot) so she is Definitely of Naboo blood, in addition to her upbringing as Alderanean.  You can have more than one home, and I'd imagine when one of them is utterly destroyed you might cling to the others a little harder. And if you know anything about Princess Leia, you know that while she is a great politician, she loves to get out there on secret missions and get her hands dirty.  Its like the plot of almost every story she is in.

LOL

Yes, there is a technical plateau, since war comes with technical enhancement of the things you actually use to kill other people. Just because, yes, it is better to have a best way to kill your opponent than the one he has to kill you. That is how wars are won. That is why Death Stars are built.

This is present in SW, through, for example, the arrival of A/B-wings or TIE interceptors at Endor.

As for Leiea, being capable to fly a freighter or a bike doesn't make you a war pilo (just as having a car license doesn't make you capable of being a professional racing pilot).

For her being capable of riding a bike through the forest without hitting a tree, th'at's not so wierd since she definitely is Force-susceptoble.

And Force sensitivity has been shown time and time again to lend to natural piloting abilities, largely since skillful piloting is largely centered around reflexes and reaction times. In a ship as nimble as an N-1, a Force-sensitive would be a force to be reckoned with (no pun intended).

{rant}

This guy's rant that you responded to sounds like such a joke

after rereading this official article on the N1 starfighter.

Also the list of Appearances, Sources, and References in it must drive him nuts. 

Not really, no, just plain sad to see the horrible quality of the SW contents since the prelogy.

Being a SW fan doesn't make me blind, what comes to us since '99 is really sh*tty (except from the awesome job of John Williams, of course^^).

Edited by Giledhil

LOL

And Force sensitivity has been shown time and time again to lend to natural piloting abilities, largely since skillful piloting is largely centered around reflexes and reaction times. In a ship as nimble as an N-1, a Force-sensitive would be a force to be reckoned with (no pun intended).

Force sensitivity gives you reflexes, yes, but doesn't make you able to fly in formation in a fighter squadron.

Luke is defferent than Leia; when Leia's time was spent to become a politician, then to do her job in the senate, Luke was playing soldier wis his friends and actual ships. That's why and how he can fly a X-wing.

LOL

Force sensitivity gives you reflexes, yes, but doesn't make you able to fly in formation in a fighter squadron.

Luke is defferent than Leia; when Leia's time was spent to become a politician, then to do her job in the senate, Luke was playing soldier wis his friends and actual ships. That's why and how he can fly a X-wing.

Exactly Luke was flying and shooting to stave of the boredom of living on tatooine he could shoot small targets when traveling at high speeds long before the trench run.

Leia is not a fighter pilot she's a diplomat and there's no shame in that. 

I would prefer not to have the N-1 in X-wing. One of my main complaints with the prequels was the aesthetic choices to make the technology look more advanced than that in the original films. Thus, the N-1 looks too....sleek and simple for my tastes. It looks more like an airspeeder or other atmospheric craft than a Star Wars starfighter. And I can't see it bringing a lot to the game- the stats would probably be in-between a T-65 X-wing and an A-wing; having less firepower than the X-wing (only two laser cannons but twin torpedo launchers) but less speed than an A-wing, making it a strange hybrid ship that doesn't really fit in.

Just my thoughts though, I'm actually happy with any new ships that we get in this game.

Well in the case of the N1 starfighter, the ones in Episode 1 were basically the elite royal guard squadron. They are going to have a fancy color scheme.

Naboo was mostly a pacifist planet. The N-1 was an upgunned puddle jumper. It's like a small third world country that's really proud of their one squad of mig-21s or mirages and paints them up pretty. Naboo did it by choice I'm guessing. Some committee decided the N-1 could just get the job done for in system escorts or harrying pirates till republic heavies showed up. The money saved could be used on a public works project.

PM was only around 30 years give or take before NH. Consider how long modern fighters stay in service. Z-95s would have been the trusted go to ship for any serious planetary defense force and T-65s were either in production or about to be. I'd put good money on a T-16 giving the N-1 a hard time by OT era. If it's all that's available, then it's better than nothing, but it's a oddity for museums when there is some serious galactic civil war afoot.

That's kinda the impression I got from the film too, but clearly we were wrong.

Yeah, I don't like the idea of complete stagnation, and even the new canon makes it clear it's not the case, with TIE/marysue compressing an X-wing into the size of a fraction of a standard TIE cockpit.

Edited by eMeM

What is appealing to Chrome Banana fans? Do you actually like episode 1, do you like how a literal banana dipped in chrome looks? I don't get it.

The N-1 is the very opposite of Star Wars. Something bright yellow that's chrome plated is the very opposite of a lived-in universe. That criticism extends to the prequels as a whole.

it's a new ship for FFG to work its modeling wizardry on and make interesting new gameplay elements (mostly through the introduction of interesting named pilots, new astromechs, and/or new preferably ACTION: torpedoes)

prequels were ass; doesn't mean we can't salvage from it like rebel and scum salvage their ships anyway

What is appealing to Chrome Banana fans? Do you actually like episode 1, do you like how a literal banana dipped in chrome looks? I don't get it.

The N-1 is the very opposite of Star Wars. Something bright yellow that's chrome plated is the very opposite of a lived-in universe. That criticism extends to the prequels as a whole.

That's almost as stupid as saying ARC-170 is an X-wing with a third wing.

2013_Sun&Fun-4054.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

265D139600000578-2981920-Harrison_Ford_s

yellow-aircraft-military-wallpaper-wides

Obviously Earth is not in a lived-in universe, everything is cgi, Matrix and stuff.

c2df6d8247cc466fb1f8094d3205216a.jpg

Some of us are open to new things and variety.

I think the N1 is a sleek, sexy ship that's got an extremely interesting stark contrast to the most beloved of my starships- I mean, come on dude. Just look at my avatar and title.

The HWK-290 and Y-Wing are my starship baes. But I appreciate the N1 for what it is and what it represents. A sleek, well-engineered, high performance starship that makes a very loud and proud statement of its presence. It oozes regal vibes, but it's got some serious teeth and isn't afraid to use them.

What's not to love?

It's a bold ship.

You talk about a "lived-in universe". A lived in universe doesn't all look the same.

You talk about a "lived-in universe". A lived in universe doesn't all look the same.

Yeah but it also looks nothing like the prequels *barf*

I like the fact that it's different from what's already out there and provides variety.

Besides, anyone with enough manual dexterity to hold a paint brush and dip it in a paint bottle can change the color scheme to whatever they like. No need to be limited to yellow and chrome. Paint it 5 shades of grey with grey stains and grey paint chips and grey weathering if that's your thing.

Or just add tasteful paint chips and stains to the base yellow and chrome colors to get that 'lived in' look.

And if it's an excuse to get Leia in the game as a pilot, all the better.

I see no negatives here.

I'd like to see a comprehensive assortment of prequel small-base ships in the fullness of time. Jedi Starfighter, ETA2, and V-Wing are all ships I'd like to see.

I'd even like to see the Naboo Royal Cruisers in the game, if they could make them work. But only if they have that nice chrome paint.

Exactly.

Yeah but it also looks nothing like the prequels *barf*

So you're here in this thread why?

Or just add tasteful paint chips and stains to the base yellow and chrome colors to get that 'lived in' look.

Lived in doesn't have to mean knackered. Does the Lambda look lived in? In a Glaxaxy far far away there are scruffy places and there are rich exclusive places with rich exclusive ships that are always kept in perfect condition.

Lived in doesn't have to mean knackered. Does the Lambda look lived in? In a Glaxaxy far far away there are scruffy places and there are rich exclusive places with rich exclusive ships that are always kept in perfect condition.

Right on! You don't see prequel haters complaining that Imperial stuff is so clean.

Oh I agree! I wouldn't weather the N-1 or other Naboo ships myself. Just saying it's an option for people who NEED that look to be happy.

Indeed, most Imperial ships look clean and well-maintained in the movies.

Oh I agree! I wouldn't weather the N-1 or other Naboo ships myself. Just saying it's an option for people who NEED that look to be happy.

Indeed, most Imperial ships look clean and well-maintained in the movies.

Mind you, it's kinda hard to tell from the comic - it's possible those N-1s are supposed to look a bit neglected.

I still think the chrome will be hard for FFG to produce. Well, we'll see when Wave X is announced I suppose :)

Some of us are open to new things and variety.

I think the N1 is a sleek, sexy ship that's got an extremely interesting stark contrast to the most beloved of my starships- I mean, come on dude. Just look at my avatar and title.

The HWK-290 and Y-Wing are my starship baes. But I appreciate the N1 for what it is and what it represents. A sleek, well-engineered, high performance starship that makes a very loud and proud statement of its presence. It oozes regal vibes, but it's got some serious teeth and isn't afraid to use them.

What's not to love?

It's a bold ship.

Astromech slot.

dkpublishing-starwars-incrediblecross-se

Also look at that cutaway. the thing runs on conner nets XD.