Sign in to follow this  
JimbonX

FFG bring N1-Starfighter to X-Wing.

I over heard some one talking about the N1 at the System Open recently and that its inclusion was being judged on the M3-A Interceptor as they would have similar stats and dial but with torps instead of the secondary weapon title that the Scyk has.

Well, we all know how that turned out.

Ah yes

the N1

First sign of a stupid kid spouting stupid lines about it not being stupid pod stupid racing, and it'll be permanently embedded into the nearest wall.

Otherwise it's not a bad looking ship and a good opportunity for a Leia pilot.

Hopefully a new Astromech or two.

Why the hate for pod racing? Pod racers are freaking awesome - and you can't deny that you'd want to watch the races if someone figured out how to make them!

The stupid kid spouting stupid lines.....

That was the grumble.

Personally I think the Pod Racing was one of, if not THE, best part of the film.

I'm not a prequel hater. It's Star Wars. But nearly every time someone spoke I got the sudden urge to Gibbs-Slap them.

Gibbs-Slap for those who don't know:

https://youtu.be/NRM2OENl2jk

Naboo starfighter classes

Maybe a few titles in the mix.

N-1L, N1, and N-1T

NabooStarfighters.jpg

NB-1S, NB-1, NB-1T Royal Bombers

NabooBombers.jpg

I like the N1, but the rest of those ships made me throw up a little...  :wacko:

I believe those are from galactic battlegrounds. The same game ffg got the punisher from...*shudder*.

Why does everyone hate the Punisher? It's a freaking nightmare and a half - and in a good way. It just looks mean.

Ah yes

the N1

First sign of a stupid kid spouting stupid lines about it not being stupid pod stupid racing, and it'll be permanently embedded into the nearest wall.

Otherwise it's not a bad looking ship and a good opportunity for a Leia pilot.

Hopefully a new Astromech or two.

Why the hate for pod racing? Pod racers are freaking awesome - and you can't deny that you'd want to watch the races if someone figured out how to make them!

Posted this in the ARC-170 thread but it belongs more here...

Just downloaded the comic....Rebel N1 Starfighters vs Imperial TIE fighters:27416052866_9df61ff35e_b.jpg

27350945182_63a7a44aba_b.jpg

27378733701_edc92911d5_b.jpg

In official cannon and post Return of the Jedi no less...  Seems legit to me, Although I would rather the game have a rebel version of the paint scheme (grey underside with worn green or blue top maybe) rather than the Royal Naboo Paint (save that for modders and an Aces pack)

That was cool, but would have been better if they were piloting cool ships from good movies instead of Chrome Bananas For People Who Will Gobble Up Anything Star Wars Even If It Sucks. Get better taste, the prequels don't count.

The good movies...which ones? There's 7 to pick from, after all.

Nope there's two good two average and three abominations.

Hypothetical dial:

5 straight red

4 straight white

4 Kturn red

3 hard red

3 bank white

3 straight green

2 Talon Roll Red*

2 hard green

2 bank green

2 straight green

1 hard red

1 bank green

1 straight green.

While I was trying to figure out your list of maneuvers, which gives me a headache because I'm so accustomed to dials, I had this idea. Since the N1 starfighter is supposed to be older and slower than the A-wing but smaller, more maneuverable, and higher tech being a "Luxury Starfighter" I decided go with this...

27527193540_a980079b4c.jpg

I believe that because of it's size (volume) this ship should either

have 4 agility or 3 agility and the evade action. 

I know most people dislike the 4 agility version, so I went with 3 agility + evade.

Model: Royal N-1
Class: Luxury starfighter
Full name should be:

The Naboo Royal N1 Luxury Starfighter

27196778443_3edeb64f65_z.jpg

I over heard some one talking about the N1 at the System Open recently and that its inclusion was being judged on the M3-A Interceptor as they would have similar stats and dial but with torps instead of the secondary weapon title that the Scyk has.

Well, we all know how that turned out.

We know how it turned out when they priced the thing at fourteen points naked.

Make it thirteen points with a torpedo slot, and it's a perfectly flyable ship. Perhaps one with ever so slightly less efficiency than a naked Z-95, but perfectly flyable. Thirteen point base and only unique pilots with abilities? No problems at all. Even if it doesn't quite meet raw efficiency (by like, half a point, I note), there's plenty to be done with a four action bar, and torpedo, astromech, and EPT slots.

The Scyk isn't broken - it's overpriced. There's a difference, and it's a big one. Heck, if Laetin had an EPT, we'd probably still see them on the table - now and then, perhaps, but on the table nonetheless.

But I'll say it probably shouldn't be the equal (much less the superior) to the A-wing; it's a perfectly capable little ship in and of itself. And don't forget that it's going to be a cut-price way of squeezing R3-A2 into a list, so is certain to have some utility no matter what else. ;)

Hypothetical dial:

5 straight red

4 straight white

4 Kturn red

3 hard red

3 bank white

3 straight green

2 Talon Roll Red*

2 hard green

2 bank green

2 straight green

1 hard red

1 bank green

1 straight green.

While I was trying to figure out your list of maneuvers, which gives me a headache because I'm so accustomed to dials, I had this idea. Since the N1 starfighter is supposed to be older and slower than the A-wing but smaller, more maneuverable, and higher tech being a "Luxury Starfighter" I decided go with this...

I know most people dislike the 4 agility version, so I went with 3 agility + evade.

Class: Luxury starfighter
Full name should be:

That is honestly kind of horrifying. The fact the ship was 'luxury' did not make it a superfighter; it made it shiny and have comfy seats. And 'tech' is from the new movies - what's it doing on a prequel ship? Are the fancy gizmos somehow resurrected from ancient times? I thought that was 40k's techpriests' thing. ;)

Green S-loops with R2, hard 1s with BB-8, or hard 1s with R3-A2 and barrel roll? C'mon, now. I'm serious: Stat it up as a 13pt PS2 Scyk with white hard 3s instead of white hard 1s, and a white 5 straight. Need more green? Fine, white 3 straights too.

Or perhaps stick with the Scyk dial, and grant it a title that lets it reveal a straight, then increase or decrease its speed by 1. So a speed 2 green is a 1 or 3; a speed 3 white can get you all the way to a 5. They've tweaked the gas pedal, see? ;)

Just downloaded the comic....

Rebel N1 Starfighters vs Imperial TIE fighters:

27416052866_9df61ff35e_b.jpg

In official cannon and post Return of the Jedi no less...  Seems legit to me, Although I would rather the game have a rebel version of the paint scheme (grey underside with worn green or blue top maybe) rather than the Royal Naboo Paint (save that for modders and an Aces pack)

Ouch... this is SO sh*tty !

Leia as a pilot... Well no, thanks !

Leia in a Naboo ship... Well no again, she is an Alderaanian. And post-RotJ, when she ought to be a leader of the new republic if anything.

Pre-clone war fighter outflying the TIE fighter, a dodgy ship 30 years newer... Nope again !

This new "cannon" definitely gets more and more ridiculous.

Edited by Giledhil

Why does everyone hate the Punisher? It's a freaking nightmare and a half - and in a good way. It just looks mean.

Probably because it's such an incredibly obscure ship to include in the game, especially when better-known options were available.

Tiescim.jpg

And the Punisher basically means the Scimitar won't ever be in the game, because it would basically fill the exact same niche on the Imperial side.

I'm not sure why FFG chose the Punisher over the Scimitar. The Scimitar looks unique and the Punisher looks like something you'd assemble in war time, in hurry for a heavy bomber and couldn't wait for the design and build process from the Coruscant elite . But the Punisher is cool and I'm slowly going fond of it. I will say I did not like it when announced.

As for the N1 I would not miss it if it never showed up. If it ever does I sincerely hope the only cards which come with the expansion are cards usable only by the N1.

Hypothetical dial:

5 straight red

4 straight white

4 Kturn red

3 hard red

3 bank white

3 straight green

2 Talon Roll Red*

2 hard green

2 bank green

2 straight green

1 hard red

1 bank green

1 straight green.

Class: Luxury starfighter

Full name should be:

That is honestly kind of horrifying. The fact the ship was 'luxury' did not make it a superfighter; it made it shiny and have comfy seats. And 'tech' is from the new movies - what's it doing on a prequel ship? Are the fancy gizmos somehow resurrected from ancient times? I thought that was 40k's techpriests' thing. ;)

Green S-loops with R2, hard 1s with BB-8, or hard 1s with R3-A2 and barrel roll? C'mon, now. I'm serious: Stat it up as a 13pt PS2 Scyk with white hard 3s instead of white hard 1s, and a white 5 straight. Need more green? Fine, white 3 straights too.

Or perhaps stick with the Scyk dial, and grant it a title that lets it reveal a straight, then increase or decrease its speed by 1. So a speed 2 green is a 1 or 3; a speed 3 white can get you all the way to a 5. They've tweaked the gas pedal, see? ;)

Misquoting me as saying "luxury means superfighter" is not cool.and you obviously don't see where I'm coming from, butI'm sure other people will have no trouble puzzling it out,so I just prefer to leave you with your own misconceptions.

It's not misquoting, it's pointing out what you've created is... well, it's a better-than-TIE/adv statline, with a T-70's upgrade bar and a dial that is closest to the inquisitor's.

Indeed, the closest comparison probably *is* the TAP with an extra shield point. Are you sure that's the direction you want this to go? Because emphasising defense (with comms relay, that's 6hp!) with a price reduced to account for 2 attack... well it's running r3a2 or other nondamgage techs or its sitting in the box for not offering enough threat.

Green sloops (better than ryad!) with that kind of defense profile might make one heck of a blocker, maybe?

... Well, at least the dial is unique. First ship in the game to lack the green straight 2. ;)

Edited by Reiver

Probably because it's such an incredibly obscure ship to include in the game, especially when better-known options were available.

Tiescim.jpg

And the Punisher basically means the Scimitar won't ever be in the game, because it would basically fill the exact same niche on the Imperial side.

Or as I see it, the Punisher was added because FFG needed a heavy bomber and the only other alternative was...

...that.

Tiescim.jpg

Or as I see it, the Punisher was added because FFG needed a heavy bomber and the only other alternative was...

...that.

They could at least have started with the two-pod Heavy TIE Bomber and saved the abomination that is the Punisher for much MUCH further down the road...

I actually quite like the Heavy Bomber...

Tiescim.jpg

...that.

There was also one other option:

TFUTIIE.jpg

Which incidentally they could've just called "TIE Punisher" since it didn't have an existing name and the quintuple-hull bomber was the TIE Interdictor before FFG renamed it as the TIE Punisher. Using a TFU design would also fit better with the lore FFG created of the Punisher being used by Black Eight Squadron.

Leia in a Naboo ship... Well no again, she is an Alderaanian. And post-RotJ, when she ought to be a leader of the new republic if anything.

Pre-clone war fighter outflying the TIE fighter, a dodgy ship 30 years newer... Nope again !

Uh...  yeah it's kind of a bore sight.

Tiescim.jpg

...that.

There was also one other option:

TFUTIIE.jpg

Which incidentally they could've just called "TIE Punisher" since it didn't have an existing name and the quintuple-hull bomber was the TIE Interdictor before FFG renamed it as the TIE Punisher. Using a TFU design would also fit better with the lore FFG created of the Punisher being used by Black Eight Squadron.

This looks cool IMO :)

I really don't understand why people can't wrap their heads around the Idea of a Technological Plateau.  The old republic was around for over 4,000 years with basically the same technology. Ship designs in the Star Wars universe being separated by 30, 100, or even 1,000 years has ABSOLUTELY NO IMPACT on how they compare.  It is entirely a question of how much money the builders wanted to sink into a fighter, the mission profile it is being designed for, and the skill of the pilot flying it.  If two ships are the SAME (or comparable) and one of them is actually much older (not the design, the physical ship) then it's possible it will have lower performance due to poor maintenance (like how the Y-Wings seem a little worse for wear now), but it's also entirely possible with the technology of the Star Wars Universe that a single ship could be maintained in good condition indefinitely.  

Yes, the N1 Starfighter (or the ARC-170, or the V-Wing, or a dozen other ships) were designed at least 20 years before the TIE Fighter;  IT DOES NOT MATTER!!! For all we know the N1 design may have been in use by the Naboo Royal guard for centuries.  As long as it met their mission profile there would be no reason to change it.  The ones seen in the comic were either newly built or well maintained, and they have the same mission profile as a TIE Fighter.  There's no reason they wouldn't be able to hold their own with good pilots flying them.

Nothing "new" is ever being invented in the Star Wars universe, things are simply coming in and out of favor as needs and desires change.  There are only ever "new" needs, willingness, and desires to make things.  Even the Death Star was not "new" technology, The Empire were simply the first (in a long time) to be willing and able to commit the resources needed to build it (and a fat lot of good it did them).

And as far as Leia being a pilot: She co-pilots the Falcon several times in ESB, does pretty good on the Speeder Bike in ROTJ, and I'm pretty sure the old EU had her in at least an X-Wing on more than one occasion.  I don't think Flying is her top skill, but she is a capable soldier, and flying is a part of that.  Also her mother is from Naboo (and also an N1 Pilot) so she is Definitely of Naboo blood, in addition to her upbringing as Alderanean.  You can have more than one home, and I'd imagine when one of them is utterly destroyed you might cling to the others a little harder. And if you know anything about Princess Leia, you know that while she is a great politician, she loves to get out there on secret missions and get her hands dirty.  Its like the plot of almost every story she is in.

I really don't understand why people can't wrap their heads around the Idea of a Technological Plateau.  The old republic was around for over 4,000 years with basically the same technology. Ship designs in the Star Wars universe being separated by 30, 100, or even 1,000 years has ABSOLUTELY NO IMPACT on how they compare.  It is entirely a question of how much money the builders wanted to sink into a fighter, the mission profile it is being designed for, and the skill of the pilot flying it.  If two ships are the SAME (or comparable) and one of them is actually much older (not the design, the physical ship) then it's possible it will have lower performance due to poor maintenance (like how the Y-Wings seem a little worse for wear now), but it's also entirely possible with the technology of the Star Wars Universe that a single ship could be maintained in good condition indefinitely.  

Yes, the N1 Starfighter (or the ARC-170, or the V-Wing, or a dozen other ships) were designed at least 20 years before the TIE Fighter;  IT DOES NOT MATTER!!! For all we know the N1 design may have been in use by the Naboo Royal guard for centuries.  As long as it met their mission profile there would be no reason to change it.  The ones seen in the comic were either newly built or well maintained, and they have the same mission profile as a TIE Fighter.  There's no reason they wouldn't be able to hold their own with good pilots flying them.

Nothing "new" is ever being invented in the Star Wars universe, things are simply coming in and out of favor as needs and desires change.  There are only ever "new" needs, willingness, and desires to make things.  Even the Death Star was not "new" technology, The Empire were simply the first (in a long time) to be willing and able to commit the resources needed to build it (and a fat lot of good it did them).

And as far as Leia being a pilot: She co-pilots the Falcon several times in ESB, does pretty good on the Speeder Bike in ROTJ, and I'm pretty sure the old EU had her in at least an X-Wing on more than one occasion.  I don't think Flying is her top skill, but she is a capable soldier, and flying is a part of that.  Also her mother is from Naboo (and also an N1 Pilot) so she is Definitely of Naboo blood, in addition to her upbringing as Alderanean.  You can have more than one home, and I'd imagine when one of them is utterly destroyed you might cling to the others a little harder. And if you know anything about Princess Leia, you know that while she is a great politician, she loves to get out there on secret missions and get her hands dirty.  Its like the plot of almost every story she is in.

THANK YOU!

I love how you guys have no understanding of the context.

Leia goes to Naboo, trying to secure an alliance with them and the New Republic!

"And post-RotJ, when she ought to be a leader of the new republic if anything."

Check it out! Point's taken care of!

Thing is, Palpatine had a few weapons left in store, and Naboo was a target, because it was valuable.

Also, in the beloved EU, Leia flew QUITE often! Indeed, she'd flown X-Wings and Y-wings, and **** near everything inbetween! But you don't like that either, do you? So why is Leia flying here?

Because it is quite literally all they have to attack those Star Destroyers with.

Like, you realize that right? You know the context, right? I mean why else would you criticize a single page from a single comic that you've clearly read before? Oh, wait. You haven't. Otherwise this would be a non issue for you, but you judge before you know.

She's in it because there's no other choice and fun fact, this is the first time those have flown since the battle of Naboo. So they're quite fresh! Fret not. Leia came in a non combat vessel so really, seriously this was all they had until the Republic fleet actually got there. Shocking isn't it?

As for its performance, what you're not seeing here is that the N1s took quite a few hits and they were VERY lucky they weren't dead. They were quite close, though! Quite close indeed! But, you just don't know that do you?

So uh.

How's that big backlog of knowledge doin ya?

Naboo was mostly a pacifist planet. The N-1 was an upgunned puddle jumper. It's like a small third world country that's really proud of their one squad of mig-21s or mirages and paints them up pretty. Naboo did it by choice I'm guessing. Some committee decided the N-1 could just get the job done for in system escorts or harrying pirates till republic heavies showed up. The money saved could be used on a public works project.

PM was only around 30 years give or take before NH. Consider how long modern fighters stay in service. Z-95s would have been the trusted go to ship for any serious planetary defense force and T-65s were either in production or about to be. I'd put good money on a T-16 giving the N-1 a hard time by OT era. If it's all that's available, then it's better than nothing, but it's a oddity for museums when there is some serious galactic civil war afoot.

{rant}

This guy's rant that you responded to sounds like such a joke

after rereading this official article on the N1 starfighter.

Also the list of Appearances, Sources, and References in it must drive him nuts. 

27219743724_78a578a8e5_o.jpg

Edited by gabe69velasquez